3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead alignment.  (Read 290 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead alignment.
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I don't know if this belongs here. I just wanted an opinion or two on how to align two blade broadheads. In line with the cock feather or 90 degrees to the cock feather? Or does it even matter? My arrows are straight fletched. Also, when using carbon shafts with inserts, can I warm the insert with hot water to soften the glue enough to turn it?
Any help is much appreciated as I'm new to trad archery.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead alignment.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I doubt if it matters.Some mount them horizontally,some vertical.When I started,the theory was,the horizontal blade affected things less when going through paradox.I still mount mine that way because I'm used to that "sight picture" for lack of a better term.

Hot water isn't enough heat to soften epoxies.I don't like heating carbons at all.The best way for me,is get it done when gluing in the insert OR use a glue in broadhead with adapter and line up the blades when screwed into the shaft and gluing to the adapter.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Turn them til they look the best in you sight picture when drawn. I have noticed no difference in flight. Mine are diagonal.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Thanks for your help. I have mine mounted horizontally, but a couple didn't line up. They have adapters so I'll be able to heat them with a small flame and twist them around without hurting the shafts.
Deer season starts in a couple of days. I can't wait. New bow and looking for my first archery kill.
Dave.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I barely even notice the arrow or the broadhead when I'm shooting since I'm concentrating on what I want to hit. I shot one of my new broadheads the other day at about 15 yards and hit the exact spot I was looking at.
I really love shooting my longbow!
Dave.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I like my 2 blades aligned with the nock slot.  Not so much for flight, but more so the broadhead doesn't block my view.

My three blades are aligned with the feathers.

Either way if they don't spin perfectly true they will not fly consistently.  IMHO
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
With well tuned shafts, there has been no discernable difference for me.

I position them as to not obstruct my site window.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. My arrows are all aligned and spin tested on a jig I built this afternoon. All I need now is a buck to shoot.  :archer2:  
Dave.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
With my split vision aiming method, I prefer my 2 blade Zwickeys horizontal. When I use Snuffers, I align them in a "Y". Just personal preference.

If your arrows are properly spined and tuned for your bow, you should be able to align the broadheads any way and they should fly straight. I would suggest full helical feathers instead of straight. More rotation to help stablize.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
With 2 blade broadheads, I've always mounted mine horizontally. With 3 blade broadheads, I just screw them them on go since I never see my boardheads when I draw, aim and release.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I mount mine in line with the nock slot, then use the back of the broadhead at my finger as a drew check.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
horiz. prevents me from acidentally overdrawing and cutting myself.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
mine are at a 1 o'clock/7 o'clock, but thats just because of how my buddy lined um up and i'm used to shooting them that way. Personally i like it too, hits the shelf at full draw like a check
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I always mounted them horizontally. This year I bought some 2-blade heads already mounted to an adapter. I just screwed them on and they ended up positioned randomly. They all flew perfect but I couldn't help but see them in my sight picture. Drove me nuts.

I turned each one to horizontal and all is well with the world again.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
try flat-down,45degree angle, and straight up and down. shoot all 3 then find wich flies best.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Ive experimented a little with this and I think a vertical alignment helps the arrow recover from paradox a tiny bit better and it is easier, for me at least, to aim. A horizontal alignment seems to bounce off the riser to me but maybe Im over analyzing.

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I use a small rubber O ring to help align my heads vertical...slip one on and then screw the b-head to desired  way you like...I also use a small 5grain washer against the insert to help align and compress the O ring...works for me
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Yep, set mine up as Razorbak desribes. With that rubber o ring gives alot of adjustment leeway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©