3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short vs longer bow length  (Read 465 times)

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
Short vs longer bow length
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I currently shoot a Herway Carnivore that is 60", I really like the way it feels and shoots. I do most of my hunting out of a treestand and have been considering trying a shorter bow after the season is over this year. I'm looking at one of Big Jims 54" Thunderchilds, for those that have went from a longer to shorter bow or anyone that has an opinion, do you think that 6" in bow length makes a noticeable difference? I have a 27" draw length.

Rodney

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short vs longer bow length
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
That string angle at the nock at full draw is the biggest thing with the shorties.....you can either deal with it or not.   Makes a bow touchy.   Longer bows shoot nicer 99% of the time I believe.  You could always go short but not quite that short.....say a 58 or 56?  I have a bow ordered from Big Jim myself.   I usually shoot a 62.   I tried a 56 Thunder Child at ETAR....Im going to go with a 58 when he gives me a ring and we talk specs.....cant wait.  58 is my short bow.  And yes,  my opinion anyway,  6 inches of bow is a huge deal.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks Eric, yours and everyones opinion is greatly appreciated.

Rodney

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Limb tip design is EVERYTHING in a short bow. My Shrew Armstrong Ghost is only 54", but being properly designed, there is no string pinch at all. I am by no means a "bow engineer", but  stiff tip helps soften the string angle.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
the shorter bow can shoot as well as the longer ones if you get your working limb pushed out towards the tips and keep a good string angle.

check this one out. it's a 54" Yeti Hybrid long bow i built for a friend of mine. I'm drawing a full 29" in this film clip.

check out the string angle at full draw here. I've got this bow braced a wee bit low in this clip.

Just click on the photo to start the video../

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
I have a firm 30.5" + draw length and fairly large fingers. My go to buffalo is 64" and my go to thunder child is 56". I personally can't tell the difference between the two when I shoot them. Yes, with my drawlength, I would normally suggest 58", but what the heck. I know the boyer and he said I could shoot the 56". I like it and use it mostly in close quarters such as blinds, but could use it anywhere. If it was my only bow, I don't know that I would opt for the 58" or not.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
I shoot a 54" Lost Creek NAT. By far the best bow I have ever shot. I have a 27" draw so no issues with stacking and such. Very accurate.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
I draw 27 3/4 and I prefer a 56 inch bow.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
What Jim said ofcourse.He should know!

I shoot a 64 " buffalo bow and like the 62 inchers as well.I have a pretty long draw of 29.5 to 30" depending on the bow and grip style.

I had to sale my Thunderchild to raise some funds recently.It was a superb short bow and I will want another one when I get another short bow.I have tried all kinds of short bows and it was as comfortable to draw and shoot as it gets in a compact design.It was 56".I think a 54" would fit you fine at 27.You may want to try the 56" possibly.56" is still a very compact length .Either way its gonna work for you IMO.

For the record I have hunted alot with 64 and 62 inch bows and a few 60 inchers.One year a 58" Toelke Chinook recurve that was nice and was as short as I ever hunted with.I do like longer bows.But this little T-Child is one of the short bows that fit me well and shot well.The Shrew Classic Hunter is comfortable for me as well in a 56" length.The limb design and 12 inch risers work well on these bows.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »
Kirk....Great video

Quite nice to place a name to the face.

The string angle sure appeared quite comfortable and didn't look like it was coming from a 54" bow drawn to 29"s.

Nice job!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
i have/ had  52", 56", 58", 60", 64" and 66"

the best feeling one to me is the 58".  seems to be the perfect balance for me.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
I love me a short bow,that being said I find I'm more accurate with my 58 inch bows.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
I am shooting a 56 inch Redwing Hunter I don't notice the pinch at all. I was shooting an 60 incher before that but I prefer the Redwing. Finding I like the way the shorties feel and shoot more and more.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
Oh and Kirk That looks like a smooth drawing bow!
Love your enthusiasm on the vid nice to see  :)

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
I have 54 inch Lil Hoot and I shoot it better than my longer BW.  I do not feel cramped for space when on the ground or up in a tree stand.  Like someone said earlier, it is in the design of the limbs...short does not necessarily mean less forgiving or accurate.

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
I just picked up a 52" Browning Nomad Stalker, 45#. I really don't notice any finger pinch. I normally shoot 60-64" bows.
DaveP

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
As you can see from my sig line I am a short bow nut. I have never owned a bow over 54" and probably never will. I have a 26" draw so pinch isn't an issue. Maddog's bows draw smooth out to my draw length and work very well for me. Plus I can get 2 or 3 bows for the price of what other boyers get for one.  :D
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Thank you to everyone for all of  your comments and the great video. Lots of things to think about before I make the decision, but all of this will happen after this deer season is over. Thanks again to everyone.

Rodney

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Have to agree with the string angle. I have pretty big fingers(size 17 plus ring)and I have a 54" itArroyo(RERBOWS) and I can shoot it as well as 60-64" bows. I shoot most bows that are 60"s or so better due to the design and a larger sight window. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I'm sure it is just me, but I do not like bows under 60 inches.  I shoot 3 under, so finger pinch can be somewhat of an issue, but mostly, I just cannot shoot them as well.  I prefer bows to be at least 60 inches.  62 or 64 inch bows are even better in my hands.  I have never had a problem shooting them out of treestands.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©