3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the wind and rain?  (Read 202 times)

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in the wind and rain?
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
So I haven't been hunting that long, what do you guys feel about hunting in the wind and rain? Rain, I guess you lose blood trails. And I was told that often they bed down when it is really windy. Here in north-east Ohio it is rainy, blowing in the mid-20s to low 30s, with temps in the low 50's. I don't mind these conditions but it wouldn't be my first choice for sitting if my chances are low of seeing anything.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the wind and rain?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Several years ago, Dr. Ken Nordberg published a series of books on whitetail hunting based on thousands of hours of observation in the woods by himself and others.  He concluded that if the wind is in excess of 14 mph (leaves blowing across the ground), deer will not move much.  Personally, I hunt for enjoyment and wet, windy days are no longer my idea of fun. I do not want to lose a deer because the rain washed out the blood trail.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I unfortunately have limited days to hunt. So of course a few will be miserable. If I get a day free to hunt and really feel the need to get out there, I will absolutely go out in inclement weather. I dont love getting rained on, but it outweighs not being out there for me.
I often jump deer, windy days are pretty much the only days I walk around...but have never had a shot yet in these conditions.  Fun though!
David M. Conroy

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't like to hunt in the rain or really windy days with one exception...the rut.  You never know what and when a dandy buck will appear.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I have still hunted up on deer standing and bedding in the conditions we are having in Ohio today. Unfortunatly, I am stuck at the house today! Tomorrow will be another story!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
seen some bigguns in the on windy days
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Second day of rain up here in the mountains.Another day inside.But I will be making some arrows.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Especially cold light rain or drizzle are my favorite hunting days. Heavy rain no. Hard swirling winds are a waste of time IMO. Strong winds from a single direction can be a blessing. Pre-fronts or just therefter when they've settled down are also good times for me. Deer are on the move.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
I live on the wetside of the Cascades in the Pacific Northwest. If I was unwilling to hunt in the rain then my hunting season would be extremely limited. And that's especially true of our late Nov/Dec archery season. That said, I avoid hunting during periods of heavy rain and/or winds. But light rains and drizzle is fine by me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
some of the best elk hunting is on windy rainy days.    :archer:    5
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
West Coast Washington means rain and wind.  I hunt in all conditions.  I see more elk on rainy days than non-rainy.  I hunt the thick stuff when it is raining and blowing.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
The winds were howling for Michigan's opener yesterday. I saw a lot of deer and arrowed a big fat doe in southern Hillsdale County. I thought it was kind of strange seeing that many deer as windy--30+mph--as it was. Maybe, the cool temps kept them moving. Peace!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Personal preference for me, but I won't bowhunt in a rain.  The possibility of losing a blood trail is too much.

A light mist or light drizzle is different, but a rain will put an end to my plans.

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©