3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee or Black Widow  (Read 329 times)

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Lee or Black Widow
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I've shot a BW TD recurve& like the weight of the riser. Wondering how a Bob Lee compares in riser weight and grip size to a standard or asbell grip on a widow, and the differences between the 2 as far as shooting goes.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee or Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Lee , love the grips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
The Bob lees are comparable in mass weight and grip sizes as the widows.

My preference is the bob lee and they seem quiter as well. Shoot both then decide!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I have owned both,BW standard has a smaller neck.The BL is more like the old Bear grips which like better.The weight of riser are about the same.The asbell grip is fatter.BW is a little faster and louder.BL limbs fit right and left BW won't.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Can't lose with either one. BW has the performance edge, BL is a bit quieter, and will handle a wider range of spines for some reason.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
witch ever fits you best, you cant go wrong with eather
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
I've had several of both, prefer the Bob Lee due to the grip.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Another happy Bob Lee owner here
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Only way to know for certain is to put them in your hand. Widow should give a slight edge in performance, nothing that a SBD string won't even out.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Have handled and shot both, but only own the Black Widow. I prefer the Black Widow, but there's nothing wrong with the Bob Lee.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I agree with most but the comment about the Widow being faster. Widows are of average speed in todays bow world and the Lees are a bit better than average as were the Wings in there day. I have owned several of each and in side by side testing the Lees were always several fps. faster, same weight,draw and arrow. Widows customer service is second to none and they really stand behind their bows as well. I would choose the one you like best now that they are comparable in price. 7-8 years ago I would of said Lee because you could buy two for what a Widow costs but now it would be a coin toss, except the Lee is deifinitely quieter! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm no help to you. I have never had a Lee in my hands. I do have Widows though and I like em!  I like the standard grip.  I'm surprised the Lee has the same heft as a Widow (PSA, PMA, PCH, or PA) because there seems to be (just looking) so much more wood in the riser.  

If you don't have to have a TD my favorite is the PA (1-piece). I have PSAIII and PCHX as well.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
i owned a lee take down and have shot widows. i have a widow on the way now.. my lee was smooth and the grip was nice. the riser on the widows are heavier feel and also so feel solid after the shot. speed was close to the same. but the widows where a bit smoother in draw to me. the ashbel grip feels really good to me and thats what i ordered on my widow.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Well I never shot a widow so cant comment on that but I just got a bob lee 62" heavyweight recurve and a 62" envy longbow and they look and perform awesome, I just got them on friday and shot them for a few hours but so far I am very pleased. From the first time I talked to JJ at bob lee until my delievery everything was smooth and they answered all my questions sent me pics with different options. I ordered my bows and was told that they wouldnt be delivered until the first or 2nd week of october and they came september 30th. Thats great service, but the quality was even better cant be an happier. I finally found the bow for me.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I have owned both. The lee had recurve and longbow limbs,I liked the longbow limbs better than the recurve limbs on the Lee. That said I prefer BW bows although like most have said you can't go wrong with either.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Bob Lee here. I dont see where the opinions on performance belonging to the Widow come from. I've shot both. Dont see it at all.
David M. Conroy

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Apologies in advance to those of you who love them, but....Widows are butt ugly.   Nearly as ugly as Habus.   Buy a bow that looks like a bow.....and choose the Bob Lee.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I must admit that a Widow has a look that either you like or you don't. For me, pretty is as pretty does, and my PCH performs beautifully.

I would like to try a Bob Lee though.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I have to agree with what Shawn said. Having had both in the same specs, I'd give a nod to the Lee when speaking of performance and quietness. Of the standard BW grip, the Asbell & the Lee, I put the Lee 1st, the Asbell second & the standard Widow grip 3rd for my tastes. However, they all feel very good in my hand and either company builds a great bow.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Love my Lee and if you watch his in stock list and wait for a sell you can get into a great bow for almost half of a widow.  Also Rob will shape your handle anyway you want it just send him a handle shaped like you want it.  I live near by so I went in on the day he did my handle and he shaped it with me there and fit it too my hand.  Only down side is his limbs aren't exactly intercangable.  They will fit but Rod custom fits them to each riser and if you order new limbs for a bow he will not make them without the riser.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©