3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footing Carbon HELP!  (Read 168 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Footing Carbon HELP!
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I tried footing some GT trad 35/55's a while ago using 2117 aluminum shafts as recommended in the how-to section here. Sometimes the footing would slide easily over the shaft and sometimes I couldn't force the shaft more than 1/4" into the footing. I decided to give it another try and ordered a dozen blems from Big Jim. Once agin I'm having trouble getting the shaft to slide into the footing. Should I try using 2216's as recommended for the GT 55/75's?  Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footing Carbon HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Make sure you debure the footing pieces after there cut, you can use some very fine sand paper to smooth the shaft only where you plan on putting the footing, this is ok to do as long as it is a shaft like the GT with the wood grain finish as the finish is not part of the carbon construction its self, just dont take off to much and get into the carbon or make it so the footing is to loose. A 2216 will be to big.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Understand that the wood grain shafts have a slightly larger diameter than the black ones.Also,cutting with a tubing cutter,especially if you go too fast,can crimp the ends of the aluminum.Make sure to chamfer the ends of the footing in case this happens.

Don't try to glue anything on until you have "dry" fitted it first.

The next size up would be 2219.That usually works when 2117 is too small.If 2219 doesn't work,2216 has a larger inside diameter.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I do deburr the footings with a deburring to but will try sanding the sfats ever so lightly to see if that helps. if that doesn't then I try to find a 2219 and see how that works.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
You also try 2114 shafts. The ID is larger than on the 2117.

Troy

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I used the 2117 shaft ( 1 1/2 inch pieces, did have to use the debur tool and also used wet / dry extra fine sandpaper to clean off both ends.
then the pieces fit very well over the bemen 400 shaft...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I've done several with 2117 both 35/55 and 55/75.    They can be a little snug on the woodgrain  shafting but like the guys above said a little light sanding and they will usually slip right on.   I have had great luck with gorilla glue for glueing them on with.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
2216 is the way to go Fred!! I just footed a dozen 35/55 GT Trads with the and they work perfect. Have to use the de-burring a bit deep to go over the brass inserts in mine. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©