3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Special Editions  (Read 273 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Special Editions
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Is there a site where I can get info on Howard Hill Special edition bows. The Howard Hill site only has the latest on there. I just picked up a Sirocco and am loving it, would like to get more info on it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Special Editions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
LongStick64- you could email the Howard Hill Bow site for information, they would probably be able to point you in the right direction. I've contacted them in the past and the answer time was very quick.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Some very good info on this site!  http://www.dickwightman.com/howardhill/hhsindex.html  I would maybe try and contact Dick in Seattle on here. He knows a lot about Hill style bows!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Longstick64-

How about posting a pic., we would like to see it.

Thanks,
Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Longstick,

I envy you. I have been looking for a Sirocco for 2 years. Did you get yours from Toddster?

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Matt

No I actually got it from a good man who is really big on Hill's. He's given me some solid advice on Hill and that style shooting. I had asked him about a bow he had for sale a while ago and he told me he sold it but had a Hill Sirocco, I might be interested in. I couldn't resist, how could I....before you start thinking it's too light for you 45@28.

I know you've been looking, I've seen your ad. Best of luck in your search, hope you get one. Maybe you can get Craig to build you a similar one.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Nice score LongStick.  You're lucky to find one I think.  Raging Water's been looking a long time.  I have a Sirocco and it shoots really well.  Pretty hard hitter, too.  Beautiful design.  It was my first Hill and I love it.  It's 48@29 and has a locator grip.

How long is yours and what type of grip does it have (straight, dished or locator)?  Just curious.  Thanks.

I'm not sure what you want to know about the Sirocco, so I'll tell you what I know. The Sirocco is a Howard Hill Archery Limited Edition that was offered in 2009.  Only 50 were produced.  The bow is named after Errol Flynn's yacht.  He and Howard were fishing buddies.

The bow features a teak riser.  The riser handle is wrapped in black genuine stingray skin.  This is the only time stingray has been offered by HHA.  The guy I bought my bow from said that a friend of his liked it so much that he asked Craig Ekin to wrap one of his bow handles in it.  Apparently there was some skin leftover from the Sirocco run.  It probably won't be offered again, unless Craig has some reason to do another "marine" model.  The riser has a sterling silver marlin inlay.  The only writing on the riser is the limited edition number #XX of 50.

There are five laminations to the limbs under glass.  From back to belly the lams are as follows: black glass, 2 lams of bamboo, 1 center lam of cocobolo, 2 lams of bamboo, clear glass.  The limb tips have double overlays of whale baleen over bamboo.  On my bow the belly lam of bamboo, the one under the clear glass, is dramatically darker than the inner bamboo lams, so I think it is tempered.  I've never handled another Sirocco, so I can't confirm that.  

I don't know much more than that.  If you find out anything else interesting about it let me know.  Enjoy the bow and good luck with it.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Mike

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for, mine has a dished grip, looks to be either 66 or 68 long, around 45@28. I was curious about that center lam, Cocobolo, cool.

I've had a few Hills and this one easily is the best I've had. Very smooth, no silencers needed. And that stingray grip is about as perfect as can get.  

I think the belly lams may be carmelized.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Peter-

How about posting some pics of you and your bow on the Hill thread. Then it can be added to the Hill slide show on Tradgang.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Will Do, just waiting for the Sun to come out.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Gents,

Congratulations on your Sirocco's. Someday, I will find one. The quest is part of the fun.

Do us a favor, take some pictures and post them. Take a lot of pictures and post them.

If you dont know how to post pictures, send them to me and I will post them.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Saw your Sirocco on the Hill Bug thread, Peter. Really nice looking bow.  Curious about your grip. That looks like a locator grip to me.  The indent appears pretty high up on the grip, but it's not really clear given the angle of the photo.  If you can post another pic of the grip in profile that would be cool.  Take a look at mine below.  It is a great bow.  I don't think I'll ever sell mine.  I'm glad it's not an 85+pounder.

"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©