3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: parabolics to shield noise  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Jreyna920

• Trad Bowhunter
parabolics to shield noise
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
I just switched to 5 1/2" shields from 5" parabolics... i was aware of them makeing more noise in flight but they have mad a drastic differents in noise from the bow... i have index different featehrs and all and the bow is alot louder during the shot... tried messing with the brace and had no success...

any input would be appreciated.. its so much a differents i want to switch back

hopefully theres a answer

Jreyna920
Chek-mate HunterII 43#@28"@62" & Bob Lee stick 50#@28"@64"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: parabolics to shield noise
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
Are ya shooting the same arrow as before the switch? The feathers should not make a difference in bow noise, even if super stiff and not softened from shooting some. I would say something else is the culprit. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn.  Shields are usually louder than parabolics, and that would be in flight not at the bow.  Something else is going on.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jreyna920

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
exact shafts..... cut the feathers off and put the new ones one

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
I have always found once you change anything about your setup including fletching you need to retune.  Sheild cut are very loud compared to Parabolic....

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Offline Jreyna920

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
arrows are still flying like darts but had to nock cock up instead of toward me which i did before.... i think the high backs are kicking off the shelf.... is there anything i can do about this... seems to shoot just as cleanly with these cock feather up but still has the noise

thanks again for the help

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Feather orientation should not matter if the bow is tuned. I can nock and arrow anyway and get great flight. Shawn
Shawn

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I am with shawn. Could possibly be that changing feather type has slightly changed your dynamic spine. You may hve been on the edge of your spine window. I would try adjusting brace height first, then point weight if that did not work, like deerslayer said retune. I once had a shelf kick problem that knock point change would not fix and turned out to be slightly overspined. Hope this helps.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline breathed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
The slightly heavier 5-1/2" feathers and their increased surface area (increased drag) will make your arrows dynamically stiffer. Maybe not enough to notice, but it seems it is noticeable in your case.

You can change your brace height (1/8" up or down should be a noticeable change), nock point (slightly up I'd imagine would be the ticket) and silencer position (if you are currently using 1/3 points, try 1/4 or both).

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
The size of the feather itself contributes to more noise.  I've been shooting 5-inch shield cut for about 30 plus years nowl, though I do sling some parabolics every now and then.  IMO, the shields are only slightly noisier.  The difference is so small that most people wouldn't notice it.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Friends i don't want to get anyones shorts in a knot  but why is everyone messed up about a bit of feather noise ? deer arn't going to spook at feather noise but they spook because they saw something hand movement  or because Mom nature made them a prey species and they survive because that little voice says duck!!!

Jerna the shields may have a bit more feather in them and as it goes by the riser it may make more noise but would be difficult to notice .
my suggestion is shoot them some and see if the noise goes away as the stiffness goes out of the inside feather by repeated trips by the riser they will soften up .
i can't see the change in shape causeing a large amount of noise unless something else is causing the arrow shaft to hit the riser .

when i set up to tune my bow to arrows one of the last things i do is get back 40 yds and shoot ,not trying to hit a target ( but it is nice if you don't have to chase all over for the arrows) and watch how the arrow is in flight if it flies straight no up doww or waving good by at me then the arrows is good to go and i know the bow now matches my arrows ,you just see the back of the arrow rotating away from you down range.

i have shot a lot of shapes and sizes as i sell vario clippers and have access to all the shapes i will ever want to try !!

my arrows right now are Big Honker shield cut 6" long and 3/4 " high .they straighten a heavy arrow and heavy broad head real fast .indoors they will make some noise but if a deer is in close enough to shoot at the beating of my heart will cover any feather noise   :D   ---- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©