3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Board Bow Tiller?(pic)  (Read 402 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Board Bow Tiller?(pic)
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
The picture below is my first attempt at a selfbow. It's a red oak board bow I made last summer. Shortly after these pics where taken I took the bow out back and shot about 5 arrows from her before I heard the fatal "tic" sound that every bowyer hates to hear. I found a crack in one of the limbs and she's been hanging on the shop wall ever since. I had a great time making the bow and it definitely was a learning experience. I'm going to be starting another bow soon and just want to get some thoughts on how the tiller looked on this bow. I'm learning as I go so any comments would be appreciated.

Here she is braced.

And at full draw.

I'm hoping to get at least 10 shots out of this next bow  :)  Just keep making progress and I'll get there eventually.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Board Bow Tiller?(pic)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Can you wrap the splinter?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
It never ocurred to me that I might be able to wrap the crack. What's the best way to go about wrapping it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Looks good to me too.

First, where's the crack? center of limb? edge? how you handle it depends on where it is, how deep, maybe it can be sanded out, limb thinned, or maybe it needs to be glued down and sinew wrapped.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Bill,

I build quite a few board bows, and have had similar things happen. I now back all my board bows with rawhide. It makes for a VERY durable bow and avoids any problems with grain run outs or the like. That way I don't have to spend quite so much time going through the lumber racks searching for the "perfect" piece. If the bow you mentioned hasn't formed a hinge at the bad spot you could still back it and see how it goes.

I sometimes get my rawhide from trad. archery suppliers, but recently have been getting good stuff for a great price from a local saddle maker (they use it to wrap the horns on ropping saddles). It is of a good consistant thickness and just right in width.

I size the back of the bow with titebond II and let it dry over night (an even coat is best). Next day I soak the rawhide till pliable, recoat the back of the bow with glue and apply the rawhide after "squeegeing" between my fingers to remove excess water. Get all the bubbles out and smoothed down, then I wrap the whole thing up in vetwrap and let it dry over night. I use a paint stir stick (free from Lowes, HD, etc) with sand paper stapled to it to take off the excess (a lot of books say use a rasp, but I tend to take off as much wood as rawhide that way) and round the edges. Finish up the bow as you like.

Good Luck,
OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
If I remember correctly the crack was on the edge of the limb and was pretty deep. I'll see if I can get a picture of it tonight. Thanks for the help guys!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
The bow was already backed with burlap. Maybe I should have used rawhide. Here is a pic of the crack.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Oooo looks bad. I think it is originating under the burlap. Can you feel it with your finger under the backing?

I'd try a glue and wrap but wouldn't hold out much hope.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I think it's fixable.  Here's a splinter fix I did a few years ago:    Wilt\\'s Bow - Page 2
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Yeah, I can feel the crack under the backing. I think I'm going to write this one off to experience and move on to the next one. Keith, I'll give the rawhide a try next time. I wasn't reel thrilled with the way the burlap looked anyhow. Thanks for all the help guys, I do appreciate it.

Bill

John, just saw your post on the crack fix procedure. I may give it a try sometime down the road. If I do try to fix it, can I send the bow to you to draw it the first time  :bigsmyl:  That was a daring move!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Don't give up so easily. Sand the burlap off, spread the crack and fill it with a good wood glue and clamp it closed to cure. Flatten the back and glue on a strip of hickory or bamboo and you will have a shooter and learn a lot in the process.

I fixed this one with some urac and a new strip of bamboo. It has changed hands a bunch of times and is still shooting.

My favorite bow has two of these crack repairs, one one each imb.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Wow Eric, that's impressive. I never would have thought that bow could be salvaged. Very nice work.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
This is the same area after the repair.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©