3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Idaho elk hunt 2011  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Idaho elk hunt 2011
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Sounds like you enjoyed most-excellent fare while in camp!

Lookin' forward to more of the story!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
How many bottles of wine do you need to fill 3 glasses    :biglaugh:  

You guys must hunt downhill in the afternoons...I would need another nap after all that!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Steve,
This is what Mike looked like after a big afternoon meal:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Great camp indeed!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
John,

Isn't that a pic of your neighbor after his burgler alarm when off?

LOL

I've never looked good in high boots.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
WOW, nice set up.  Looks like a great way to spend a couple of weeks in the mountains!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Yeah the tents and utensils are spotless, the wine is first class too...............................anybody see any archery tackle in any of those pics??   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Well the evening hunt was approaching so we loaded up and headed up the mountain in the truck.  It would take 30 minutes to get where I wanted to park and on arrival the spot was unoccupied.  That's a big issue with hunting public lands.  If find that our truck draws a lot of attention and if we park in an area for a couple of days we end up with lots of help hunting for the elk we've found.  LOL

The wind was wrong for this ridge tonight but I wanted to work out along the edge and do some locate bugles to see if elk were bedded in the areas I thought they would be.  Sure enough as we hit the end of the ridge and bugled down, we got not one but two answers.  I know the elk tend to work to the water at night and back up the finger draws in the morning so we headed back up the ridge with a morning hunt on our minds.  We stopped at a nice spot to call into a side draw just in case and got an answer.  We had a better 90 degree wind so decided to give it a try.  We'd learn the draw better as the week went on and could have got down wind on this setup.  John ended up seeing the bull briefly as it moved down the draw and out of the hunt.

We got back to the truck with some time left before dark so we continued on the cross route.  We ended up seeing a doe and two yearlings that John stalked and did a good job of shooting right over at about 15yds.  It was steep downhill but dang.  LOL

I'd get my chance later in the hunt.
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
After the deer we moved on down the road to a place we call CR4 and we drove up a road in the area looking for elk and deer sign.  The rains came again and we headed on back towards camp.  Just before dark we spotted some spruce grouse downhill from the road and the chicken hunt was on.  When it was over we had four grouse on the ground and one that flew off.  Well heck 80% is a great percentage.  We won't talk about how many shots it took but we only lost one arrow that I stuck in a pine about 30 ft up.  We brought 18 flu flus for this purpose so we are doing good.

We do know that our favorite dish of grouse alfredo is on the menu now though.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Wow. Your camp has a garage.....   :D    :D

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
FLU FLUS, Jason didn't carry his slingshot?
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
oh yeah, Jason carried his slingshot and it comes to play later int eh story.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
The grouse in Idaho are what I'd call totally ethical (the inverse being, of course, unethical).  They stick around while you get the range on them.  I just wish moose and elk and deer did the same thing!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
this is getting good, cant wait to read it all!!
is it September yet??

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
that second pic is that a huge "headlamp" hanging dowm?? Cripes this is first class. Proceed Sir  :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Yep because we had John's generator this year we built a light setup for the kitchen.  It has two floods and three single bulbs.  Very nice the have light when cooking.

Day 3 we headed back to where we'd put the elk to bed the night before.  We chose to work out the left side of the ridge in order to get the wind if the elk had continued up the right side draw.

We hit it right on the head.  As we worked around the point, we set up and I started to rub a tree with a stick from the ground.  I've found rubbing to be non threatening agression and it usually will get a bull going that might otherwise turn tail with his cows.  Almost at once the area below us and too the right lit up with cows and calves calling and then a bull bugled.  They were about 400 yds out and cross wind as the thermal hadn't switched yet.  We dropped down the hill a couple hundred yards and set up along a brush pile of alder.  Hoping that the bull would come up the up wind side.

What we didn't know was that there is a major trail just under the alder patch about 100yds further down.  And the first bull came right up the trail bugling his head off.  He kept coming until he hit our wind at about 40yds but out of sight.  Then off he went.

The good thing is that he was the only alarmed elk in the bunch.  We repositioned and tried again.  And here comes another bull, not as aggressive but responsive and coming on a string.
Again he's on the unseen trail and circles across the wind until we are busted.  

We sit down to wait for the thermal that should be blowing up by now but is not.  As we sit, we hear cows and calves move from right to left below us and again we are in action.  The wind is switching now and is mostly coming up the hill.  So maybe we can pull it off.  We talk back and forth with the cow and calves for 10 minutes but finally the stopped moving.  They'd bedded down for the morning.  I have one rule after finding elk "DON'T HUNT THEM IN THERE BEDS!!!"  You can bump them while they move or feed and they will go a little ways, but if you bump them out of the bedding area they are gone.

We backed off and headed up the ridge to the truck.  Dang I don't remember it being this far down.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Great read so far.  Can't wait to hear the rest.

:campfire:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
BAck at camp we made breakfast and decided it was time to set up the shower as the "wolverine" had started to creep into camp.

This Cabelas shower and enclosure is a wonderful thing to have in camp.  You can shower every day if you want and have water available.  We found that 4 gals of hot water was perfect for the 3 of us to fight the wolverine.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
John, if you have to sacrifice and hunt the lower 48 this looks like a great way to do it!
I thought I was living the high life when I put up a solar shower...haha
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Great camp Mike and I love the "Directors" chair   :)   You should hold a seminar for some outfitters in Camp set-ups...

Can't wait for more   :)  

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©