3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mushroom silencers  (Read 406 times)

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
mushroom silencers
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Does anyone use these types of vibration dampening gizmoes? I found very small ones and was wondering how they would work on a recurve limb.They seemed very light and I don't think they would rob the bow of much energy. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Paul

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mushroom silencers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
If you are referring to Limbsavers It would surprise me if you could tell a difference in actual bow performance. It should help with vibration and sound though but I still wonder if you would be able to tell a difference with it without some type of sound measuring device.

I have never used them on my trad bows but when I shot a compound I had all the Gizmos...   :rolleyes:      :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
If you're talking about the Sims vibration dampeners, I've used them and really like them. They not only quiet the bow, but really help with hand shock. they might rob you of a little speed, but quiet kills. If we were all concerned with speed we would shoot....  :)  Just make sure your arrows are tuned with them on the bow, as I found they "might" change your arrow set up on any particular bow.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
That sounds promising Brent, Thanks for the eye opener.  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
I use them on any recurve limb and on some of my longbows that I shoot light arrows from.I use the regular sized on recurves and the ones made for recurves on longbows because they are smaller and fit the narrow limbs better.I mount them near the end of the fades or limb wedges.The help keep vibrations from reaching your hand so help with handshock.I also think they help by offering some protection when shooting light weight arrows or when dry fireing happens.  :)  Mounted like that you will not see any speed loss on a bow that you can measure.On one set of limbs I have I saw a 3fps increase after installing the limbsavers but still don't know how that worked out.  :confused:    :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm in Brent's camp on this one too.  I have "mini" ones on a long bow (were marketed to be used on sights, quivers, etc. on compounds) and another normal sized pair on a recurve.  Both have made large amounts of improvement on deadening sound/vibration.

Do a search on this forum, you will find a number of discussions, even home made ones if you don't want to spend the $$.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Use them on all my bows no matter how quiet they are, they just get quiter, if you have any limb buzz these will get rid of it. They are not the prettiest thing but they work. James same here a couple of my bows picked up speed do to transferring more energy to the arrow.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
They are not the prettiest thing but they work.
Oh they are regular chick magnets.  :)  I find a bow looks half finished without them now.  :D

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I put the small recurve limbsavers on my metal riser ACS-CX.  There was a little harmonic "bong" sound I was getting with the metal riser but not with the wood riser, so I put the limbsavers about 4" out from the riser (did'nt want to lose any speed by getting out on the working part of the limb).  They did the trick.  The bow is whisper quiet now and I don't think where they are located they could have much if any negative impact on speed.

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Where should they be placed?  Hard to move them around.

Eagle24 did you try them anywhere else?
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys! Keep 'em coming  I think I just might get me some and see for myself! Thanks again. PBNJ

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I just got something similar called Bow Tunerz. Instead of sticking on with adhesive they have a rubber band type strap. I have yet to try 'em, but they look promising. You can move them around to find the sweet spot.

Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
MW if you do not want them to effect performance they need to be kept close to the riser instead of out on the limb that moves a lot.On the ilf limbs I shoot about 3 1/2 from the riser is where I put them.On longbows I put them where the fades in the riser get between I/8 AND 1/4" thick.Putting them farther down the limb could quieten it more but it will cost you in performance.Adding the weight on the moving part of the limb could also add shock to the bow instead of taking it away. jmo

btw I have tried them in several places but like I posted seems to give you the biggest bang for the buck on what we are trying to do.  :)

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I know a guy here that puts them way out on his limb, to the point that the top(on the upper limb), and the bottom(lower limb), just touch the string when braced. He says that they're magic in those spots, working much like a string stop would. He agrees that it does slow the arrow down some, but not that a deer is gonna notice. He claims that they completly negate string slap on the limbs.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Thanks James

I have some on my bow but suspect that they are too far out.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 02:24:00 AM »
They work good for my longbow; but it hurts my ears to much to stick them in.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »
LOL!!!   :biglaugh:  I had them, don't have them now, animals still dead. Hvaen't missed any due to the noise of my recurve. Quiet enough, why lose any speed?
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
You dont lose any speed if you place them right, I have them on 14 of my bows and 0 have lost speed but they all have less vibration and are even quieter...they were all checked with my chronograph when put on.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by MW:
Where should they be placed?  Hard to move them around.

Eagle24 did you try them anywhere else?
I did not try them anywhere else and this was my first time using them.  I was getting a slight aftershot ring from my metal riser (no noise with my wood riser) so I guessed they would do the trick in close to the riser and they did.  I'm not really sure where they should be placed for maximium effectiveness, but I would guess the farther out the limb you put them the more mass you are adding towards the tips and the more negative impact it will have on performance.

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
I put them right at the fadeouts.
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©