3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Restoration Venison  (Read 686 times)

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Restoration Venison
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Back during Hurricane Irene I was out of town in PA on a men's retreat. On that Saturday night according to my wife, our power was lost at around 7:30 PM. I got back home later in the evening on Sunday, and as fate would have it I could not get my generator started. I pulled the carbuerator off about 3 times,and I did not figure out what was wrong until a couple of days later, by then it was too late and I ended up losing all my venison that I had in my outdoor freezer. And let me tell you I am a VENISON lover, and I always have enough venison to last me from one season to the next. Needless to say I couldn't wait until the Maryland opener so I could get out and get me some fresh venison. Well opening day finaly arrived(9/15/2011). I hunted that morning and did not see a single deer. I saw a plenty of Bushytails and at about 9:15 I look over to my left and saw this nice Groundhog coming through, I grabbed my Stahl Longbow and let fly with a Black Diamond Delta 4 Blade, it took the Groundhog through the chest, and believe it or not he made it to his hole and expired. I reached down and pulled him out. I hunted in the evening on opening day as well in another stand and did not see a deer. I went hunting the next day in Montgomery county which is 75 miles away and saw 17 deer that morning and passed up a number of smaller bucks and passed up some does with fawns. I hunted that same day in the evening back in PG County, hunting from a ground blind. I get in the blind at about 4:30 PM and at 5:00 a doe with 2 spotted fawns came in and right behind them came a single doe by her self.I decide to take the single doe, but for at least a half hour I could not get a shot on the single doe, due to the fact momma and her fawns was in the way most of the time. And when the single doe would change positions, she always ended up in a position where  I had no shot opportunity. Finaly a deer somewhere down through the woods was really snorting loud and it caught the attention of the deer that I was looking at out in front of my ground blind. Finaly the single doe is in position for a shot and I come to full draw with my Longbow and when I let go, the top limb of my bow hit the top metal brace of the blind, makes a loud noise and my arrow went low just under the does chest and off they took down through the woods. I went hunting in the following days with out seeing much of anything in the way of deer. Then this weekend, I had planned to be on the Eastern Shore of Maryland chasing Sika Deer with my Traditional Bow Club(The Traditional Bowhunters Of Maryland), but I had to be out of town on that Saturday, but I decided to hunt that Friday morning, but did not see any deer. So I went hunting that evening in another location and got settled in my stand at 4:30 PM. The weather is quite nice with out much wind. This stand is not far from a big marsh. Sometime later I happen to look to my left(5:30 PM) and I see a deer standing there that I did not hear come in. My bow was still hanging on it's hook. As the deer began to move from my left to my right down the trail, I was able to reach up and get my bow undetected which already had an arrow nocked. When the doe's head passed a tree at about 15 yards, I came to full draw, and when she came out I let fly and off she took back the way she had come through the marsh. I watched until I lost sight of her and I heard her go down. I only waited a few minutes and went over and picked up my arrow and saw blood right away. I went back to the tree to get my back pack and then it started to rain. So instead of following the blood trail out through the wet marsh, I cut  through the woods toward the area where I thought I heard her go down, and sure enough when I went into the brush at the woods edge just outside the marsh, there she was fully expired. Man I was tickled to get some fresh venison, and today(SUNDAY) after  church my Brother came to my house and we had fresh venison shoulder roast for dinner cooked in the slow cooker. Man the roast sure smelled good when I walked into the house, and it tasted just as good. Thanks for looking. 62" Dale Stahl Longbow, 58# @31", 590 Grains 5575 Goldtip Trads, Black Diamond Delta 4 Blade Broadhead.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Restoration Venison
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Great pics, congrats! Thanks for sharing, I can smell that roast all the way up here in KY!
samuel koger

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Nice hunt,now I'm hungry.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Yum. Yum.  Persistence usually pays off.  Congrats.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Nice story thanks for sharing.  Nice doe as well.  If you weighed her before you did the butchering post her on the Arrow Giveaway contest in the Z-give-a-way forums here.  I am making a dozen custom arrows for the winner.  It is just for fun and went well last year so I decided to do it again.  My goal is to get more pics and weights of does on here.  
Congrats on the venison. Your food pic is making me hungry - Nice shot!

Bob Urban

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
way to go! that sounds GREAT!
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Great story! Looks like dinner. Yum.
Martin

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

Yum !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm glad you've gotten stocked up again. Congrats!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Congrats, but I dont know what looks tastier that chuck or the doe. Got my sons to eat chuck with me this summer and they loved it. Way to put meat in the freezer. Lost several dozen goose breasts in the same manner one year.   :clapper:

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Congrats, Tony.    :thumbsup:   Well done on BOTH "critters"!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Nice shot and good story Tony! Great pictures too! Congrats on the doe!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
congrats! man that is a dandy groundhog!!! nice shootin    :archer2:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
great job tony them woodchucks over here in western are almost ready to dig deep it has been in the low 40s the last couple of days and has rained the last two .
i would love to come down that way and try for one of those sika deer . i haven't seen one or tasted one ever lol.
and just think they are only a few hours away from me . but i can't get anyone to come with me lol.

Scott

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Yumm. Nice hunt....glad you were able to restock the larder.  I'm sure there's plenty more to come Tony.  This one was certainly hard earned.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Nice shot on that doe, Tony.  Congrats on starting your freezer refill.  And don't post photos of food.  It makes me so darn hungry   :)
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
good job !  Congrats on your doe.  Sorry about the power loss.

ChuckC

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Nice!!
Great story!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Very nice !!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Great job and great story!  Congrats on restocking the freezer.  And nice shot on that doe.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©