3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moon guide strikes again  (Read 569 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moon guide strikes again
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Yup, link works, just get rid of the period.

Eric

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I have been watching this for several years, its neat how game movement in general seems to pick up ie: squirrels and stuff
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Sorry for the delay in answering, I never imagined that guys would be this interested. First thing I would ask is YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE MOON GUIDE????? I absolutely will not plan a hunt without it. I am from Michigan and you can buy these in just about any sporting goods store, I happen to buy this one in Jay's. Where to start. I picked up Jeff Murrays book "Moon Struck, hunting strategies that revolve around the moon". Myles Keller co-authored the book. I have read this book 5 times and I have been implementing these moon strategies for many years, I can say that they flat out work. The moon guide is a circular wheel type device that has the hunting months of the year with the days printed on it. You slide the dial which has an opening on it to the date that you plan to hunt and the best time to hunt appears in the window. It also tells you whether you should be hunting bedding areas, feeding areas or transition zones. The basic theory is that (and this is really simplifying here) the best times to hunt are when the moon is at it's peak overhead and at the times when the moon is directly below you regardless of the phase of the moon. There is also alot to know about the phases of the moon as they pertain to feeding but also the rut. The very best time to hunt is during a 1st or last quarter moon when it is directly above. These moon times change by 51 minutes each day, for example if on Oct 3 the best moon time is 8:00 am, Oct. 4ths moon time would be 8:51 am. Basically 12 hours after the moon time, the moon is directly below your position on the earth and is also a great time to hunt as the moon's position has an effect on ungulates feeding. These moon times also work for fishing and other prey animals but especially ungulates. When I began using the moon guide, I was met with a whole lot of skepticism so I would write down the moon times at gun camp and tell the other 6 hunters to pay attention to when you see deer movement. When we would return to camp after a hunt, I would ask the hunters when they had seen their deer. It was shocking to see that all of the deer were seen close to the same time and when I showed the moon time that I had written down, they all became believers in a big way. There is alot to this and I could sit and write a book based on my success by using the moon guide. I have been hunting exactly 30 years and the Doe that I killed last night was my 87th deer 39th with a bow. I am fairly experienced and am always studying new ways to hunt. When calling was first being utilized, I dove head first into that tactic and had great success with that also but if I could only have one tool, it would be the moon guide. I have gotten to the point that I no longer really need to rely on the moon guide as I have been using one so long and have read Jeff's book so many times that it has become second nature. It is nice to have the guide so that I can quickly roll the wheel to the date and be able to tell whether or not I should hunt mornings or evenings and where. Further proof of it's accuracy is that this morning I went out and saw nothing but bedded deer as the prevailing moon time is an afternoon time right now. There are factors that can influence deer and make them move at times other than the moon times but I assure you that if you pick up and correctly use a moon guide, you will be amazed at how accurate these are.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Have used one for years. Buy them at Cabela's or direct from Jeff Murray website. A great reference piece. Not the final deciding factor on when and where to hunt, but a step in the right direction. As the song says, "I'm a believer".   :campfire:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I found the current moon phase info for my area but have no clue as how to apply it.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Ok, Ok, Ok...... I just ordered one.

The one guy in bear camp swore by the rising moon and he turned out to be correct. The two days the barometer was rising AND we had a rising moon 8 bears went down.

I'm hunting Thursday and hopefully I can put this to the test. PM'ed Warchild to find out about this Thursday since I won't have my wheel before then.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I always go when I can. Sounds kinda intrsting though.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
I just bought one too. I'll get back to you on this...
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
As stated above, there are factors that effect these moon times such as severe weather, the rut or perhaps crops being harvested or other outside interference. For the most part though this thing is super dependable. Buckeye hunter, I PM'D you with this but I will post here too, moon time for Thursday will be 9:00 am. As I explained in the PM, if you want to really narrow the time down to the minute you must calculate how far from the central meridian of your time zone (in this case the Eastern) you are while hunting. Add 4 minutes to each degree west of the meridian and subtract 4 minutes for each degree that you are east of the central meridian. It may sound a little complicated, but if you can find out the nearest degree in longitude that you are, it's really quite simple. I rarely go to this length to determine exact times as it is useful just to know that you should expect to see the animal around a certain time. By the way......GO BLUE!!!!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I also go out when ever I can. The Guide doesn't account for fronts or the rut, stuff like that. But if my time is limited, and it is, I can take THE BEST DAYS off.

It also helps when planning a trip.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Robert and Charles

I just checked with an app I have on my Iphone. It is called iSolunar and is supposed to be driven by Lat-Lon and/or referenced to zip code.
It gives overhead and underfoot times and predictions of major and minor feeding times

For Thurdsay 10/6/2011  Galion, OH
I have moon overhead 9:48 pm and underfoot at 10:13am.  
Major period from 8:43am to 11:43am

I am trying to see if this is similar to the wheel data
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
I bought the moon guides for a couple years and if you read the science behind it,it's very compelling.The truth is,it didn't do anything for me.I hunt a large ranch that has whitetails,mule deer,antelope,sometimes elk and lots of cattle.It is so open that you can often sit in an antelope blind or treestand and see all those animals at once,just by glancing around.I carried those moon guides with me through September,October and november,mornings,evenings,midday,all day,you name it.High activity was morning and evening despite what the moon guide said.I just didn't get any useful coorelations.Maybe the country is just so open that animals didn't want to move midday,I don't know.It just didn't seem to work.Cool little wheel though.

Offline papawoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
62" 54@28 costom Big River longbow
66" 54@28 Big River longbow
60" 53@28 Big River recurve
Compton Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
I hunt when I can also, but I take a look at this type data if I have an option of what days to take off or what night of the week to rake leaves and what night to hunt.  I also look every day I hunt to see if I should stay on stand longer into a less than ideal morning or get in stand early in an evening hunt.  I have seen enough to convince me it is something to factor in.  Squirrels are real dependable with the moon time.  I have a gps with this data and an app on my phone, but I may get the wheel also to check out.  

This is only my second year with trail cams.  I plan to check my cam pic times against the moon to see if I can see a connection.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks Papawoody...I realkly like that link!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
That is a nice link Papa.

Thanks.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I like  [Solunar Forecast  also.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Well I haven't had a chance yet to put my moon guide to the test but I did have a friend go hunting this weekend to told him to take note of what time the deer moved. The moon guide was telling me 10:37 a.m. and to hunt travel corridors. My buddy said at 10:30 the deer started moving from uncut corn down to what we call "Deer Heaven" to bed down for the day. So it passed one test so far    :thumbsup:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I think this is a pretty good set. You will need to join the forum but, it's free. Check any month you want & has a friendly print out link.
   Solunar Table
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Read ANY book on whitetail behavior by James Kroll.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©