3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Bloodless, yet successful hunt.  (Read 483 times)

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
A Bloodless, yet successful hunt.
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
On a recent post, I did a pictoral of an early September Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming with Schlaggerman (Wyoming mule deer hunt w/pics. September 11).  About a week after getting back home, I was fortunate enough to turn it around, board a plane to Denver, and spend a week with our son, Jordan, pursuing elk in Colorado.  I've hunted our western states a fair number of times, but never twice in one year.  I've obviously been blessed with a wonderful, supportive wife.

When Jordan proposed this hunt, we weren't sure just where it should take place.  After some research, inquiries and suggestions, we accepted a generous offer from fellow member "acolobowhunter" to share a camp with he and his wife.

For this, we are both eternally grateful.  Jordan and I haven't hunted together since he moved to Fort Collins two years ago, so the priority would be to once again enjoy some quality time with my son.  I'm sure the other fathers and sons on this site will understand this sentiment.  The fact that we'd be camping in the mountains and have elk tags in our pockets would surely be icing on the cake.

Gene and Nancy were outstanding hosts, not only in sharing camp life with us, but talking us through our everyday experiences and adventures.  The daily story swapping at their trailer was always fun.  And, while Jordan and I had brought along freeze-dried meals, the Fishers would hear none of that, providing a hot meal for us most every night.  From lasagne to freshly-caught trout, we ate very well!

On the drive up the mountain, we rounded a corner and were greeted by this sight.  There's something about seeing the season's first snow that inspires me.

In between rain showers that day, we managed to get our camp set for the week.  We slept in the green tent, the blue tarp was our kitchen area and the blue tent held our gear.  Home sweet home.

That's our kitchen...a simple propane stove beneath a suspended tarp.  This photo shows the chef boiling up some water for the morning's oatmeal and hot Tang.

Once again my new Crow Creek longbow shared my Western adventure.

Since this was toward the end of September, at this elevation the colors of Fall were well under way.

The Three Musketeers.  The big, white mustache with the bowhunter behind it is Gene, the lanky, furry guy in the middle is Jordan, and the out-of-gas flatlander in the back is yours truly...

Another sun-lit aspen photo.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Bloodless, yet successful hunt.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
One of the frequent stops to check the wind direction.  If you're not going to play the wind, don't play at all.

This bugling sequence, like most, went unanswered.  The bulls seemed to have lockjaw the week we were there, probably because muzzleloader season had just ended.

Gene and Jordan during an afternoon shooting session.

A stark contrast of seasons in this image.

Remember my mentioning a mouth-watering meal of trout?  Gene handles a flyrod as fluidly as he handles his recurve.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
By the end of the week, many patches of aspens glowed in their autumnal splendor.  While a still-picture can't possibly capture the beauty of the shimmering aspen leaves, believe me, it was awe-inspiring.

As the hunt came to a close, Jordan and I finally got our close encounter with an elk.  Jordan had improvised a blind near a wallow that Gene knew about, while I knelt among a cluster of 10 foot pine trees that were about 50 yards away from the wallow.  We'd have most possibilities covered from these two locations.  As the evening grew still, and with about a half hour of light left, I heard something walking through the grass.  I readied the longbow for a shot to my left, when out strode a beautiful 5x5 bull elk.

Because I only had a cow tag in my pocket, I relaxed and enjoyed the moment, realizing that he was headed downhill toward Jordan.  But, as he entered my shooting lane at less than 20 yards, he turned and casually meandered toward me.  I'm thinking "turn, turn downhill!  Turn downhill!"  But, no, he sidehills it right at me.

As he gets to the other side of the nice, full pine tree that's separating us, I get this feeling that this whole thing is about to blow up on us.

Around the tree he came, still unaware that I was near.  As he cleared the tree, he locked up, realizing that something just didn't look right.  And I'm kneeling down, trying to hide behind my bow and looking UP at him as he stood there.

When Jordan let out a cow chirp, his head snapped downhill, then back to study me again.  This repeated a second time before he whirled and trotted away from me.  Another chirp from Jordan stopped him a little over 20 yards from me.  He's now standing broadside to me, while I'm praying he finally heads down to investigate the cow calling from Jordan.  He'd turn to leave, and a call would stop him.  This happened a couple of times before he finally decided he didn't want to play any more and wandered away.

Once I was sure he was gone, I just had to find out how close he actually was.  From where I was kneeling, to his front hoof scuff marks, measured nine feet!  How exciting is that??

As that bull faded into the twilight, so did our hopes for punching an elk tag. Was I disappointed?  Not at all.  This trip was a resounding success long before our elk encounter.  I traveled to Colorado with one purpose only, and I thank Gene Fisher for his help in achieving this goal.  I know everyone likes to see a nice success photo, so here's mine to share with you.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Great story,thanks.  :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Great story, pics and hunt...thanks.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »
Wow, what scenery. Most of all fantastic memories with your son and friends.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
Reading a story like that while sipping my coffee just before a day of work really gets me going. I felt like I was there with you guys and enjoying it just as much as you. Congrats on your success and thanks for the uplifting story and beautiful pics.  :coffee:

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Nice pics & story. I`ve had plenty of bloodless elk hunts, it`s the journey that keeps me going back. Looks like you & your son have it figured out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Very nice photos and story.  It was my pleasure to share this hunt with you.  I hope it will not be the last.  You and your son are welcome in our camp anytime.  I can only imagine the story you would have to tell if you would have had an either sex tag in your pocket. Ha

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
The good life for sure, congrats.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
This is awesome. Gene and his Mrs. are great people there is no doubt. Gene can shoot that Stumbo. I like the picture of you and Jordan. There is something special about a father and youngen sharing the elk hunting experiance.

Good to see you got Dick and Cade off work for a day or too as well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Well done and well presented, as usual. Thanks for taking us along.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Nice job, felt like i was there with you.
Genesis 27.3

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Outstanding.....I had my first bloodless Elk hunt this year and it was good enough to want to go back and do it again....thanks for sharing!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline M. J. Brundage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Great story and pictures, thank you for sharing.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Fantastic.  You had the true meaning of the hunt in your mind and had a great experience.  I hope it is not two years before you get to do it again.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Sounds like a great trip to me Gary. Thanks for sharing. Let me know if you would like to hunt by me this year.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I measured your success and it went off the charts!!

Thank you for sharing such a precious time with us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I too had a bloodless hunt this weekend, but since it was with both of my boys, it was a great success as well.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©