3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 bulls in 6 days... MT public land DIY  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
3 bulls in 6 days... MT public land DIY
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
There seems to have been alot of elk threads this year...  so I won't drag this out too long.  I'll start by saying that the weather this Sept in Montana has been very strange compared to the last decade.  It was July hot this past week as we visited our secret Bloody Ridge.  I would also like to start this thread by introducing the best elk hunter you will never hear from or about... Brett Jonez from Dillon Montana.  He is jokingly referred to as the Dalai Llama by our shooting friends.  Not because he chants in Hindu      :)     , but rather because he is the local llama guru.  I met Brett 5 or six years back in a local archery shop after being told "he kills bulls every year with his longbow".  I had to meet this guy!  I had over a dozen elk seasons under my belt and knew how difficult this truely is.  At the time, I was  looking to end a particularly bad dry spell and was keen on hunting with some different partners.  I was told long ago "If you do what you have always done... you'll get what you've always got".  Personally, I was tired of getting skunked!  Right around that same time, I hunted with the famous Randy Morin one season and had a blast.  We didn't draw blood but I saw some new country and really saw "run and gun" executed to its fullest.  The next season Brett invited me to hunt some very secret honey holes he's been cultivating for nearly 10 years.  I swore an oath of blood and silence.  The result...I was treated to one of the greatest thrills of my life.  Together with Brett's childhood friend, the three of us are finally making meat with regularity.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 bulls in 6 days... MT public land DIY
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Drag it out, can't get enough!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Sweet! Sounds like a way to end a drought. You guys need another hunting partner  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Did I mention it was HOT!!!  Here are some pictures to get it started.  

This is Bretts Montana Canvas tent.  Ten seasons and going strong.

I see alot posts of rubs.  This ridge has hundreds in this one spot.  There are literally decades of rubs scattered across this trail

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
To explain the change.  I was getting into bulls, and seeing elk and getting occasional shots on my own.  I killed a couple of elk, missed a couple, lost a good bull etc over about 12 seasons.  However, with Brett, I have arrowed 4 bulls in the last 4 seasons. Two of them in the second day of hunting.

Hiking the ridge

Jason and Brett checking maps

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Game on....  called in these bulls (one over Brett's right shoulder) to about 15 yards.  Notice the rubs!

Also called this guy into about 15 yards

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Now for the story of my bull.  Brett and I packed up the llamas and hit the trail at first light on Fri Morning the 23rd.  Our camp is 6 miles back in some nasty country.  We arrived in camp with time to set camp and stake llamas before the heat of day rose and took hold. The remainder of the day we assembled gear, poured over maps and generally rested.  Jason had family obligations that would prevent him from joining us until Sunday night.  Our plan was to hunt Sat and Sun with hopes that at least one of us would tag a bull.  We felt pressured and slightly stressed at the prospect of needing three tags filled with so little season remaining.  All of us have had some significant personal obligations that prevented much real hunting this Sept.  Now it was the top of 8th inning and we had some serious catching up to do.  

Sat morning we hiked the ridge and got into a good position to assess the elk herd.  No Bugles...  Now we were more than a little stressed.  We sat down to talk it over.  We discussed how this particular spot often sees late morning action and maybe we had just beat the bulls.  

Lesson #1 from Brett:  Be where the elk want to be... and be there first.  

Sure enough, faint bugles started making there way across the valley.  HERE THEY COME.  And come they did.  I decided I would call the first two days in hopes of paying back my friend for such great hunting the past several seasons.  As the elk marched up the ridge, I called in several small bulls that just didn't present the shot we needed.  Then... the bawl and growl that makes even veteran elk hunters take notice.  We had a very big bull working in to find out what all the commotion was about.  Brett and I traded smiles and he bailed down the hill to set up in front of me.  The big bull entered a meadow below us and screamed and bawled as his 6X6 headgear gleamed in the sun.  One problem, he angled around Brett and was heading straight for me.  I laid off the calling and let him drift back down a bit.  Slowly I slipped 50 yards to my left to get on the other side of Brett's position.  Now with a better angle I laid into the bull again and he stopped.  He slowly turned and trotted back our way and this time right inline with Brett.  I was about to burst with joy.... until he hung up.  He stood broadside to Brett at about 40 yards and began to pace.  He had drawn his line in the sand.   I gave him everything I had and he wouldn't budge.  So... we let him drift back down and cross the meadow out of sight.  I rushed down to Brett to hatch the next move.  Brett said, lets get to the next fold and see if he'll commit again.  We were off...   We crossed the meadow and slowed to stalk as we approached the blind lip.  We called back and forth quietly to see if he would answer.  Nothing.... Then Brett ducked his shoulders and turned slowly to mouth "he's right there".   I saw just antler tips moving through the timber just over the lip as the bull circled.  He circled all the way to my left before he crested the hill to look......  A FOUR point materialized instead of our giant.    :)     I'm no trophy hunter, so I kept a close eye as he worked to my position.  The bull lingered and made a fatal mistake.  He turned broadside at 25 yards and put his nose to the ground to sniff for scent.  The arrow struck him mid height and mid way back.  As he whirled I could see the broadhead gleaming as it protruded out his opposite side.  He was center punched.  We heard him crash 30 seconds later.   Brett gave me his funny grin and said "You shot him?"   We started laughing as he said "Welp... you're an elk killing machine"  The greatest of compliments from the true master.  I confessed I felt bad for not holding back a bit.   But it fell on deaf ears.  We both know how hard an elk is to kill.  You take em where you can get em.  

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Looks like you had a good time.  Great job.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Great looking trip!!!! Congrats
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Good hunt.  Good story.  Well done.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
So the conclusion....  We packed out my bull on Sunday morning and hiked back in with Jason.  Now that I had punched my tag, I was again officially the caller.  We took Jason's bull Monday night

Camera malfunction... shots were blurred   :(  

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!! Elk hunting is right at the top of my list with moose!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
way to work!  cant believe all the rubs in that pic...
is it September yet??

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
I had surgery scheduled for Fri of that week and had to depart on Wed.  I left Brett and Jason with high hopes of a big bull hitting the ground.  This spot is usually not a big bull area.  In fact we jokingly refer to it as satellite city.  But.... This year we were seeing toads!  I have no explanation.   Brett thumped this guy on Thurs morning.  Fitting end to my buddy's week.  

The Dalai Llama and his bull

How we dress them on a meat pole

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
Glenn

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Congrats, good pics great story now you only have two more storys to go, lets here'em  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Excellent! Congrats   :thumbsup:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Awesome stuff sir!  Congratulations!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Awesome story!  Congrats to all of you.  Can't say I'm not jealous!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©