3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011  (Read 3499 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Thought I'd get a thread started for all to come on and tell what they saw on the day they hunted this year. If you hunt everyday,then post every day. We could all look back on it after the season and see how things went. Kinda like a Trad Gang journal. This could get lenghty but it ought to be fun. I'll start it off:

10-2-11 Hunted the pine stand off the bean field this morning. Saw 3-bucks together. 1-6pt,1-8pt.and a really nice 120-125" 8pt. All at 15 yards. Waiting on a real biggun. Also saw 5-coyotes. One of them only had 3 legs. Figure he got it caught in a trap. No shots presented on the yotes.
Winds-NW and 40 degrees.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
No fair man, your always gonna see them daddy bucks you always do and us eastern folks gonna see nothing but baby bucks, Seriously though, a good idea. Itll be interesting.

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
This is a great idea.  I hunted opening morning 10-1-11, didn't see any deer but  I heard and saw nature at its finest.  Been sitting for a few hours when I heard some leaves rustling and then a squeal, I turned to look... nothing.  After a few seconds I see the a large bobcat at about 60 yds with a rabbit in its mouth.  Thought that was pretty cool.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I'll play......9/27/11: 5 hours saw 0, 10/2/11 5 hours saw 0. This is normal for me!!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I hunted this morning and a two and a half year old seven point come by at 10 yards.  I was really studying him when he glanced up and noticed this thing in a tree.  After a short minute he decided he didn't like it and high footed off.  About thirty minutes later a doe and fawn came to within about 15 yards, then continued on their way.  Iowa issues only one tag for my area, so I wasn't going to shoot her.  Five minutes later in walks three 6 pt. bucks.  Two of them came within one foot of my stand, and presented numerous opportunities for a shot.  It was fun watching them begin the fall ritual of sparring and pushing each other around.  Now, I'm going to wait for their dad to show up.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
2 Oct. 2011: 1 coon, 7 turkeys, 1 hog @ 90lbs, The longest legged bobcat I've ever seen, first thought it might be a fawn till it turned and I saw the head. Tried to put the sneak on the hog but in an open field it just wasn't to be.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Oct.3, 2011: 1 spike horn that died 40 yards from where KHALVERSON shot it!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
October 1, 2011: Shot first archery deer of any kind. Doe round about 75lb dressed.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Squirrles, 8 hen turkeys and 2 doe's. No bears but I really wanted one of those doe's but no shot.
It was a great afternoon!!
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Basket rack 8pt and a doe with twins, had the doe at 20 yards but facing me and she was nervous about a truck that pulled off the road. So no shot for me  :(
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
10-3-2011 my first day ever in the deer woods with a Traditional bow. saw 4 doe, but they saw me first, so no shot.  I was happy to just see some deer.  I also had an owl land about 5 feet from me in another tree. that was really cool I have never seen one that close, an I literally didnt hear a sound him on video, but he didnt hang around long.  

headed out in the am and will post again, this is a great idea, if someone scores, post a pic with the story.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
(1) cotton mouth water mocassin hunting up the slope I was on from one of the last remaining water holes. It slithered slowly in the faltering light checking out each opening in the rock & dirt sides almost 15' down. After cresting it went off into the woods. Kinda cool.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
1Oct.  Sage hen hunting in northern Nevada.  Saw antelope and deer.  Hens were in abundance, but flushed too far for longbow and flu flu's.  Lost one.  Eventually shot my two bird limit with my son's shotgun.  I was the only archer there.  I now have Dutch over fare!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
01 Oct AM: bumped a deer in the dark maybe 30 yards from my stand.  Saw several does on the way out.  PM hunt, saw a dow and two yearlings cross the ridge maybe 40 yards in front of me.  
02 Oct:  No deer.  Assorted birds, squirrels, and a turtle.
03 Oct: Played "Who's the biggest retard" with a doe for an hour or so.  Almost got to full draw twice, but didn't.  Apparantly, I'm the biggest retard.  But it was fun.
Silence is golden.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Oct. 1st. Hunted red and white oaks. Just before daylight had two deer spook at about 19yds. One of them caught my movement as I was getting settled in on my climber. They just fed off the other way.

Had several little, bitty, racked bucks feed around through the early morning.

Didn't bring enough clothes and was shivering so got down a little early. While I was getting my things together at base of tree a doe came trotting in to the acorns. Killed her at 9:15am.

Oct. 2nd AM. Hunted same place.  Again had two deer spook right before daylight at about 8yds. Saw the forms ease off.

Two small bucks fed by and I grunted one back up to right under my tree, just to see if it would respond. Another little buck came from the opposite direction and fed off...I grunted at him and he spooked. Trotted of with tail up. First deer I've ever spooked with grunt tube.

About 8:30am had a deer blow at me from up the hill..couldn't tell what it was. Little later a doe and yrling came in too far to shoot.

Oct. 3rd. 5:15pm. Hunted a main trail in some planted pines. Had a doe and yrling feed out (mushrooms) at 5:15pm. Too far. Another big doe came up from bottom at 5:45pm too far.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
10/1/11, season opener. Nasty weather with rain and snow. Hunted out of my Summit climber. Had a momma and little one under my stand.

Wet cold and bored, came down and still hunted around 10 am. Stalked up on two nice 8 points bedded. Tried to get close enough for a shot but was spotted at 40 yards. They jumped up but moved away slowly as I watched with my binos.
 Hope they stay in the general area!

Still hunted until 5pm and saw 3 more doe but no shots taken.

10/3/11. Heavy rain and windy. Sat in my ladder stand after work from 4:30 until dark. Didn't see a deer.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Sounds like it's been a wet weekend for everyone. Better weather is coming,I hope.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Saturday Oct. 1st

Hunting the Adirondacks in Johnstown,N.Y. At Adkmountainken's "AdkAttack"...

At the end of a long,wet,rainy day of hunting. Walking down the logging road,coming down off the mountain.....

A Black Bear, crossed the logging road about 25 yards in front of me!!!!!   :scared:  

It was a day to remember!!!!!    :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I saw 10 squirels, two chipmunks, three turkey's a whole bunch of bluejays but no deer.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
10/1/11 AM Hunt

I told myself I would stay on stand till 10:00 am before retruning to the cabin for breakfast.  Well at 9:50 the legs of a doe materialized on the trail in front of me.  A total of 7 does came out and I was unable to get a shot.  They acted like they got a whiff of me, but never blew and walked past.  One of the does had a tumor growth about the size of a softball on her shoulder and another under her chin.  At first I thought it was her tounge hanging out.  All of the deer looked skinny. The drought is taking its toll on the deer.  I climbed down after they had left the area.  It was one of those spiritual mornings for me.  No shot, but a great experience getting to be witness to the outdoors.  Good morning in the woods with longbow in hand.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©