3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
10/1/11

Missed the morning hunt due to rain.
Hunted the evening from ground blind and cannot even begin to count the number of squirrels. Had two does make their way down from a bedding area but only got to within 30 yards "out of my confident shooting range". Sat about another 45 minutes after the does made their way out to notice a large brown mass in the thicket. I couldnt quite make out if it was a buck or doe until he walked into a clearing about 65 yards out and showed me all eight points of his rack and his four pointed friend who was trailing behind him.

All in all a great hunt, and hope to see him again soon.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Saturday October 1st.

Saw lots of Fox Squirrels and a hawk of some sort. Not a redtail. I saw zero whitetails and froze my backside off in the cold rain.... Hunted near red and white oaks off an inside corner near some corn and beans.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
i saw one turkey and one squirrel...
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Oct 1st
saw 4 does in breaks of rain. No shots sat from 2 to dark

Oct 2nd
Morning sat until 1130 only saw a sow with two cubs....the teeth popping and bluff charge let us know we were too close lol
Afternoon, saw 5 does, then at 6pm had a big doe with a broken front leg come in, 20 yd shot, she ran 40yds and was done. First deer of the year and first deer with my new to me shrew classic hunter!
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Sept 15 AM   4 Hrs   Missouri      39 degrees windy at 9:00 saw big tom turkey in CRP to the west

Sept 15 PM   3.5 Hrs   Missouri      5:15 an 8 pointer with high rack and long tines came from the S in creek bed stepped up into the grass trail to the W at 10 yds shot over - ran to the North at 5:45 had a doe with spotted  fawn to the S in creek bed browsed then left  to the south at 6:05 the same 8 point buck came from the N smelled around and left

Sept 16 AM   4 Hrs   Missouri      55 degrees wind out of East 7:00 had nice 6 pointer come from North in creek bed  walked under the stand to flat and into CRP to the E  7:15 had a fork horn 22 yards on trail to the west  smelled around and went back to SW at 7:33 Doe was on trail to the west  smelled around and went back to SW At 7:46  to the south was a doe & 2 fawns fed around then went to CRP to the west  At 8:44 small  doe walked up creek bed from the south passed at 9 yds.

Sept 16 PM   3.5 hrs.   Missouri      5:55 had fork horn walk into flat from CRP to the NE at 6:37 2 fawns to the South in creek bed milled around then went SE Wind from E at 10 to 15 mph

Sept 17 AM   4 Hrs   Missouri      7:15 a doe & 2 yearling  walked up trail from the E  30 yards S of stand  wind was kind of swirling doe acted like she smelled where I walked in Blew and ran E at 7:33 a velvet basket rack 8 pointer  followed by larger 8 pointer came from the NW on a trail 35 yards to the N The hard antlered 8 pointer saw me move and blew followed by another snort to the W the Velvet  8 pointer buck came to the base of the ladder stand  and milled around

Sept 18 Am   3.5 hrs.   Missouri      7:05 a button buck was feeding on acorns to the E at 8 yds. at 7:15  to the west a deer was head to the N  followed by a doe the small velvet 8 pointer and a spike they fed on acorns under the stand  they caught my wind swirling and blew running south east

Sept 29 PM   3.5 hrs.   Missouri      40 to 45 mph wind 70 degrees 2 toms at 5:00 to the south at 40 yards

Sept 30 AM   4 Hrs   Missouri      53 degrees wind out north west 10 to 15 mph  at 7:50 had small doe on trail to the NE at 20 yards then a large doe came from the NE she got nervous like she was getting a scent and headed NE  They browsed around for about 10 minutes a raccoon walked by the deer and came toward stand smelled my scent on and arrow shot at a squirrel and ran N past the deer  at 8;30 looked down and a raccoon was under the stand feeding on acorns

Sept 30 PM   3.5 hrs.   Missouri      3:30 Jumped doe and 2 yearling at stand  4:10 Saw doe and yearling  to the S on trail heading N 4;20 saw doe to the N on trail heading E  10 minutes later small doe was eating acorns under  the stand  At 5;00 heard and saw turkey to the E at 6:15 spike buck and 11 point buck came from SW fed on acorns under tree shot 11 pointer

Oct 3 AM   4.5 hrs.    Illinois      Funnel stand  acorns are thick 53 degrees  at 7:15 had large doe come from N in creek bed passed at 7 yds. At 9:48 had doe & yearling walk in from S in creek bed  passed at 8 yds. she got by tree and got spooky look up at me and left the way she had come from

Oct 3 PM    4 hrs.    Illinois       20 ft. ladder stand drove down hill as I was getting ready at truck had 11 turkey in cemetery field  wind from west  at 4:15 saw 2 yearlings in cemetery field as they crossed the creek they spotted my truck and come running back at 4:38 a doe come from the S in the maple slough she went up the hill near the fence at 5:26 a yearling doe walked out into the picked cornfield from the S for a few minutes then spooked and ran back into the CRP  at 5:37 saw a doe walk up over the hill to the E at 6:02 saw another young doe come from the CRP ground and walk up over the hill at 6:15 had 24 turkey to the NW coming toward me as I moved to get bow  they spotted me and turned back they then walked along the timber to the W and ran S in the cornfield . At 6;40 a spike buck entered field from the S then at 6:44 2 does entered the field from the S followed by another doe and 2 yearlings they all spooked and ran off the doe and 2 yearlings then came back out 5 minutes later and walked by at 5 yds. the big doe kept watching up the hill then came tearing right to the stand and started snorting. I then spotted a coyote enter the field by corner of the field to the N
PBS  Member

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Took my dog for a walk tonight and found a small snake. I didn't know what it was, so I caught it, put it in the only container I had (new poop bag) and brought it home. A jar, magnifying glass and computer allowed me to ID it as a Northern Brown Snake. Cool! I had never met one before. They usually only grow to about 13 inches.

I took it back and let it go where I found it. It looked SO happy to be back home!

Going to camp this weekend, then I will be gone for real at the end of the month. I'll hunt from the 29th till Nov 20th. Of course, all the deer are down here where I live. Go figure!
Be careful on the roads. Deer are getting slammed like crazy lately.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ms greenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Thought I'd get a thread started for all to come on and tell what they saw on the day they hunted this year. If you hunt everyday,then post every day. We could all look back on it after the season and see how things went. Kinda like a Trad Gang journal. This could get lenghty but it ought to be fun. I'll start it off:

10-2-11 Hunted the pine stand off the bean field this morning. Saw 3-bucks together. 1-6pt,1-8pt.and a really nice 120-125" 8pt. All at 15 yards. Waiting on a real biggun. Also saw 5-coyotes. One of them only had 3 legs. Figure he got it caught in a trap. No shots presented on the yotes.
Winds-NW and 40 degrees.
My question to you Is why just because a yote has three legs figured it have been caught in a trap? Trapping does not cut legs off or feet for that matter!!!A coyote has a better chance of losing a leg by some gun happy deer hunter then a trap. I dont know what you think you know about trapping i have over 30 yrs under my belt and have never took a foot off a fox or yote .

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Sept 30  Saw my big buck at about 6:50 PM, he came out about 60 yards from me.. He did make eye contact with my grunt call but chose to go over the ridge and disappear.
Ten minutes later had a 120ish 4x4 and a 130ish 5x5 coming in on a different trail, but a fickle wind betrayed me. Super great set to see three good bucks inside of 15 minutes.

Same tree Oct 1 AM.. Heard deer moving in the pre-shooting light dark. Had one group of three, 2 does and a young buck come in. Little buck was following (chasing) the girls around with his tongue hanging out as if it was sexy. Then I had a family group of 4 come in about 50-60 yards down wind and kept moving back and forth trying to pin point me. Last a doe and fawn. The doe presented herself for a shot but not for long enough for me to make it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Don't know I'll post my whole journal here but here's from yesterday...

Had a quick still-hunt tonight after work. Saw a fuzzy caterpillar, several squirrels and a couple of deer.

One doe snorted at me from the log crossing (never got a good look at her). Saw a very nice buck by the corner. His antlers were a bit skinny but tall and festooned with points (12ish). Unfortunately he was on private land close to me. I couldn't shoot him unless he turned onto the public land, but practiced stalking him nonetheless. Got to within 25 yards and stopped. He did the rest of the work and crossed the trail I figured he would and gave me a virtual broadside shot at about 8 yards.

I'm no poacher - he's still out there.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:

Originally posted by ms greenhead:

[/b]
My question to you Is why just because a yote has three legs figured it have been caught in a trap? Trapping does not cut legs off or feet for that matter!!!A coyote has a better chance of losing a leg by some gun happy deer hunter then a trap. I dont know what you think you know about trapping i have over 30 yrs under my belt and have never took a foot off a fox or yote . [/b]
Relax ma'am,it was just a statement.
Now,what did you see hunting lately? After all,thats what this thread is about. Feel free to PM me with any other concerns.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Oct. 5......went up north for the mourning. Hunted 4 hours, lots of geese in the air,saw 2 Blue Jays, 1 red squirrel and a deer mouse that would have made the book, he was in my comfort zone but no shot was taken.....I let him pass, I'll give him another year!!! Just good management......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Oct 1 PM:
Saw the 13 yr old off on his first solo hunt.  :bigsmyl:  

Thank goodness no deer came in to interrupt all the fun.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Writing a day late. Seen a sleeping coyote close up and another one close up  and blew it. lots of vally quail. And some wize cracking ground squirrels making fun at my shooting abilties .Cool sunrise and sunset.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
two does and a wanna be buck (fork horn)... oh yea, and two turkeys.  Problem was, I was on a tractor mowing pasture.... LOL...  still good to see...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
From oct 1 to know 9 deer(no bucks) and 7 bears

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Four doe in the field at 7:00 pm. Saw them again at 9:00 pm. I hope to see them again at shooting light in the morning. Here we go! 10/05/2011

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
10-6-11
Hunted the beans this evening but NO deer. Skunked. But the mosquitos got me good. Had to hunt the ground cause the stand I wanted to hunt the wind was bad.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
sat in a natural ground blind in my bush in a bag this afternoon after work waiting and hoping a fallow deer would walk by. nope...only saw some kangaroos. saw a kookaburra dive onto the ground and catch something.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
October 4 I had a deer spin on the shot and nicked her shoulder...no harm done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©