3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011  (Read 3498 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Today was a good morning out. I seen a fawn just after sun up. Mamma did not make an appearance, but some turkeys came in, and I am watch them about 30yrds out feeding and hopeing that one strays just a littler further so maybe I can get a shot off.

But before any get a chance to stray I catch movement out of the corner and I know it is a deer.
A buck a good buck not a great one but 8 maybe 9 points. I did not count them once I knew if given a chance to shoot him I would. He is about 18yrds behind me but moves to 10yrds facing my stand. He fakes eating and quick looks at the base of my tree. Then back at the turkeys. He turns broadside and puts his head down. I move my bow and dont get it half way into postion and he looks up at me. I freeze but he does not know what I am but does not like it, and turns and moves off they way he came.

Ok I will just sit and try not and shack out of the tree. He is out of sight the turkeys bust me and thy move off.

I am waiting don't want to leave to early, and an other smaller buck skirts just behind me never in range he looked to be a small 5 maybe an 8 point.

So after he exited stage left. I  waited a few more minutes and was not long to leave myself. My son said he heard some but never seen them.  

So todays tally 3 deer and about 8 turkeys.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
In between hunts here in Washington. Late season starts in late November so I took a little bike ride along the Green River today. Fall colors are getting into full swing, it was a beautiful sunny day in the Pacific Northwest. River was up a bit from yesterdays big rain but a few brave souls where out casting lines for steelhead or salmon, not sure which is open now. Stopped in a local fresh produce stand and picked up some red spuds and a few ears of sweet corn for dinner. Got a nice red flush in my cheeks from that cool fall breeze, knocked a bit of rust off my between season legs .... just a great afternoon.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
Hunting for deer -- seeing coyotes.
Dang it.
Huntung coyotes seeing deer dang it.  :biglaugh:  
Crows, magpies, does,and ground squirrels and rabbits making fun of my calling.Had one come in but no shot.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
10/29/2011 4:00pm-7:00pm

Four different species of dogs. Dang neighbors     :mad:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
2 Turks, 50 yards.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Was able to hunt for a couple hours this evening. Saw 3 buttons and 1 spike buck and was fortunate enough to harvest the spike.

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
so, tonight I went after the turkeys that I put to bed two nights ago. About 6 p.m. they were coming in, one offered me a shot, but as I drew it got behind two weed stalks, I held for just a bit and in that time the turkey bolted instantly into the thick stuff, so I held onto my shot.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
A no wind 20 degree morning, very clear. I didn't see any deer until 0830, then it was a veritable parade. Had 4 does under 20 yards, and saw about 15 deer, but no bucks. Put the sneak on a flock of turkeys and got to within 10 yards, but they were on the wrong side of the fence and eventually wandered off. Too bad no big bucks doing any chasing yet, but a fun morning.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Right off at daylight I found the 5 big bull elk I got into last weekend. I swung way around about 3/4 mile to get the wind right. They were done feeding and on the move. I got in front of them to head them off. 50 yards was as close as I got. Had 2 of them broadside then, but I'm no Howard Hill, so no shot. Then they winded me.

I also saw many does and a few mulie bucks. One buck was big, 28" wide 3x3, and around 28" tall. Where was he when season was on?  :banghead:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
2 does, no shot
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I seen this one today and figured I would take him home with me!!!!

I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
fri night: nothin'
sat morn: two does, little one too small to shoot walked too close to me (five feet from tree!) and caught wind of me. I was waiting for the larger one to come in to shoot it, but it held back and turned tail with the little one.
Sat night: a doe that hung just out of range, and several deer that came in and ran past. they were moving pretty decent and were out of range. seemed like they were spooked.
sun morn: five does, one buck might've been an eight pointer. turned away way out of range, I was hoping they'd keep coming.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Nice job Red Tailed Hawk!

Tell us about your bow/arrow/b-head set-up. How about the story?  :archer2:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Saw a small doe right at sunset heading out into a field.  Passed on the shot.  Heard a buck rubbing on trees after dark.  Never saw the buck, but he made a heck of a racket.  Stayed in the tree till he left and them I slipped away.  Hope he is still around and offers me a shot!

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Shedrock I posted story and few more pics on hill bug thread..

My set up is Hill bow "Tembo" 70" 50#@30. Full length Carbon express arrow with 175 grain Zwickey Delta upfront.

Made a nice quartering away shot from natural groundblind at 12 yards.

My first kill with a Hill bow.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I had a great weekend.  Saw 6 deer on Friday morning, no shots.  Three turkeys later that morning.  I stalked to within 10 yards of a bearded hen, but just as I was about to shoot, they took off.

I hung a new stand Friday around noon and had a doe underneath it later that evening.  She presented multiple shots, but I chose to wait for a bigger one. She was kinda small and it was early in the evening.  She sniffed around (including the climbing sticks) within 20 yards of the stand for about 1/2 hour.  Two smaller bucks watched her from about 60 yards away, but wouldn't come any closer.  Also saw a coyote, but didn't get within range for a shot.  Squirrels were everywhere.  I shot at and missed one, but I swear he jumped the string.  My arrow stuck in the ground exactly were he was.

Saturday morning was just about perfect weather wise.  I saw 12 does from the new stand.  A big mature doe stepped out in the field and as soon as I saw her I knew I'd take a shot if one presented itself.  She never came within range.  For only taking one missed shot at a squirrel, I still had a great couple of days in the woods.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Nutn but tree rats....   :mad:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Its on fire right now had 160 class buck all night around me came real close to dropping the string a few times wrong angle every time see you tomorrow MR buck  :archer2:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
October 30, 2011

Users currently browsing this topic: