3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011  (Read 3509 times)

Re: SOOOOO,what did you see today thread.....2011
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
October 1. one nice buck, one small 8 pointer, no sign of any pheasants, some turkeys, 3 racoons, wood ducks, thousands of robins, a few doves, two squirrels, and a coopers hawk that had a hankering for a robin supper.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
10-5: sat in a new stand from about 3:30---dark.  Had several does and fawns behind me at about 15-20 yds....no shot, but they sure made a whold lot of noise crunching down on those nuts!!  Squirrels were fighting over the same nuts---must have been good ones!!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
10-6

Sat in my stand from 6:45 am until noon and saw zero deer movement. Lots of squirrels, but no deer. I think the area I hunted is getting too much pressure. I plan to hunt a double inside corner tomorrow morning further back into the wildlife area.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
10/6/11.

Decided to squirrel hunt after work this evening as I only had a couple hours and hunted behind the house.

I took 3 shots at 2 different squirrels, missed all 3 times! Close but no cigar.

Turned back towards home and caught movement at a field edge. I saw 4 bucks sparring. I stalked as close as I could but ran out of cover.

They, of course, moved the other way and as they jumped a fence I saw a 5th buck. The last one was a very nice 8 point. I'm sure it's one of the ones I saw last Saturday.

No game taken but a very enjoyable evening in the woods.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
10/7

Saw 3 does near a double inside corner on public hunting ground all before 10am. One was broadside at 7 yards, but busted me at half draw and bolted. For fun I shot at a leaf where she was standing and drilled it. I wish it woulda been her.... next time.   :pray:  

As a side note, one doe was feeding underneath my stand and darn near stuck her head through the loop of my hoist rope that had fallen and doubled over on itself. That would have been bad. Can you imagine a full grown doe tangled in a line that is attached to your stand? Better HOLD ON!

Also, they have started hitting the acorns finally.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
No hunting today,working a double. Won't get out again until Sun morning:(
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
In a little over 3 hours on stand today, my son and I saw 8 does, 2 turkeys, 2 foxes and a few squirrels!  "Oh, what a beautiful morn-ing..."
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Passed a fat six point, probably regret it later in the season, but have lots of time, although he gave me a nice 15 yard quartering away shot, awesome morning in Pa.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Took a vacation day from work today and hunted morning and evening.  Saw a porcupine, gray squirrels, and a bunch of chipmunks.  No deer.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Went out for the first time this year. Walked the trails behind my house for 2 1/2 hours. Heard several deer/turkeys moving through the thick balsams. Bumped one deer as I moved along. nearly got a shot at a red squirrel but he wouldn't sit still long enough. day was beautiful and Iwas happy.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Nothing today......?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Took the day off from hunting today because I got a deer yesterday.  Spent some well deserved family time...it felt good to have a deer in the freezer and be able to domesticate for a day or two.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I hunted with a good friend of mine this evening. Sat in a great looking spot over some corn but didn't see any deer. Saw lots of tree rats eating the corn though. Wish I brought in my judo's
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
8 Oct.,
Spent the day hunting in a monsoon, 6" of rain, 30 - 40 mph wind gusts, just a really pleasant day.
Saw 3 does around 8:30am but they fed away from my position. Decided to just drive and do some spot & stalk. Got in to 3 groups of Osceola's, made 2 stalks on each group but got busted each time I attempted a shot. Stalked a group of 5 Gobblers for 1/2 a mile and never had a time without 3 looking around while 2 fed. Other groups were 9 and 17 birds. Just too many eyes.
Going to do it all again tomorrow, weather report is same as today.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
10/8/11
 I still hunted today. This morning I saw a deer's ear flicking about 50 yards out. I started glassing and saw it was a doe with 2 little ones. I got to within 20 yards and hunkered down to see what happened. After a while the wind changed and they busted me.

This afternoon I spotted 2 doe and a fawn out about 70 yards feeding my way. I set up against a tree with some cover beside the old logging road the deer like to travel on with the road to my left as I'm a righty. I lost sight of them for a bit and when they came out they where on my right at about 20 yards. I tried to twist around to get in position for a shot on the first big doe but she saw me and all 3 boogered out of sight.

I moved on around the hill to the edge of a meadow. I was sitting against a tree enjoying the evening and a nice 6 point appeared from nowhere. He was about 20 yards and also on the wrong side for me to shoot. I would move a little every time his head was behind a tree and he came through within 12 to 15 yards broadside and gone before I could get twisted around for a shot. He never saw me and the wind was perfect. He jumped a fence and went into the meadow to feed.

A few minutes later another doe came towards me following the same path the 6 point did. I was ready for the 12 yard chip shot that I knew was coming. I had my bow at half draw and was waiting for her to clear the last tree. When she cleared and I was coming to full draw she turned straight at me and caught my movement. The only shot I had was straight on with her looking right at me, which I wouldn't take. She rattled out of there for 2 or 3 jumps and then started the head bobbing. She never did figure out what I was and fooled around for a while while my legs were cramping and screaming for relief. She finally fed off towards the meadow.

I'm commited to taking another deer on the ground this year. I really enjoy the close encounters and the challenge. Not to mention I get to hunt all season and don't get tired dragging deer out of the woods!

:D

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
10/8/11 They didnt come in like the unlucky one did on Tuesday stayed out about 50 yards flicking there tails and noseing the dead air then just kinda dissapeared.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Well went to hang stands today and on the way out walked up on a doe on the trail we used to walk in. She was feeding on acorns. Great day and it was my first time being in the woods for over a years. Missed all of last season.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Was out before sunup yesterday close to where I saw a decent buck a few days ago.  Saw a few squirrels but no deer.

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Went for a drive yesterday with the wife...just to look at the fall colors...saw these guys

Too bad we can't hunt them there..

Mac

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Tried A new spot this past evening, where I recently seen a decent buck.

A group of turkeys and a lot of squirrels is what I seen.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©