3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help, I suck.  (Read 465 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Help, I suck.
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Went to one of my properties a mile from the house. Wind was light SW. Was sitting on my fold up stool 19 yards from a well used trail. It's been a while since I've seen deer here, but the situation was perfect. Got in at 4:23pm. At 4:55, I notice movement from the SW. Perfect, wind in my face. Only takes a second to see antlers..that's all I saw at first. The sun was making them shine as he came my way. I thought, "Nice buck". As he gets closer, I thought, "Damn, real nice buck". And my heart gets pounding pretty good. He comes to the stream, which runs by me on my left at 10' or so. Jumps the stream, takes a few steps past the trees blocking my view...and stops, broadside at 19 yards. Draw, anchor, aim, release....arrow goes 10 inches to the left, right past his chest and THWAP into a dead log. He turns and hauls butt, branches breaking and mud flying. Stops 40-50 yards out and snorts his head off.
    I know he didn't see me or smell me. But, I scared the hell out of him. Big 8 pt, with tall rack.
    Don't know what went wrong, so when I get home, I shoot 6 shots from 19 yards. Three of my shots go left 10". If I cant the bow to 2:00 (which I did at deer), arrow usually hits within 3" of focus point. WTH? How do I fix whatever is wrong? While practicing over the summer, I would occasionally hit left, but not often. I'm thinking maybe I didn't follow through and plucked the string.
    0/2 with the longbow.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help, I suck.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Have you practiced from your stool?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
It's hard to tell without seeing you shoot. Post a video if you can.

In the mean time, assuming your arrows are tuned to your bow, make sure the arrow is directly under your eye at anchor. If your anchor point places the arrow to the right of your eye, you'll hit left.

There are other things that can cause that, but you'll get a thousand different suggestions and none of them may be right. Posting a video of you shooting from the side and from above and behind will get you much better coaching.

Good luck.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Could be a million things unfortunately. I'm sure you'll get a lot of tips here.
 The biggest I can think of is hand/wrist torque on the bow. Only one possibility, but a potential one. If excited and you grip the bow too tight, upon your release the bow can turn in the direction of the hand pressure.
That can cause the occasional far left shot like that.
Plenty more ideas to come I'm sure. Good luck.
Follow through and plucking will absolutely cause trouble as you said.
David M. Conroy

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Sounds like alignment to me. Check out Terry's alignment post.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Listen,shooting at home and shooting at game are drastically different.I think the biggest cause of misses on game is not picking a spot and aiming on it.The brain is scrambled,the heart is racing,it looks like there is no chance of missing and you don't or can't focus as intently as on the range,in a calm state.Combat defense instructors teach that once the heart rate reaches a certain level,tunnel vision kicks in and motor skills suffer.It is a wonder we ever kill deer.The good news is,the deer is well,probably not too badly spooked and you get to hunt some more.When the time comes again,put away any thoughts of the outcome and focus on THAT spot and making the shot.It is why I think,we shouldn't think of shots on game like,"if you can hit a pie plate".There are some individuals who are very experienced,cool calm and collected who can shoot at game exactly as they shoot targets on the range.Most people can't.Don't beat yourself up over something thst most of us have already done.Just know that shooting at whitetail deer is nothing like shooting at the range.Just focus.You will get it done.Don't miss the fact that you had a tremendous experience.It is truly all good.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Yup, that sounds good.  :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
We all suck somedays, I've missed my share too. I never miss to foam, but deer plenty. Heck I can shoot golf balls out of the air most days, but I've missed deer at 5 yards. That's what gets the blood pumping. If it was a sure thing,  it wouldn't be exciting.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Looking to see where the arrow hit undoes a lot of shots on game...

Follow thru and don't move a thing till the arrow hits.....hardest thing to do on live game going...in my opinion!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
JimB x2  :thumbsup:  At least you did'nt wound him.You're psyche wouldn't give you rest.\\Experience/. Figure it out and may GOD bless..  :notworthy:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Are you right handed and were you wearing a face mask?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Dude, you got stiickbow close to a mature buck...from the GROUND. That doesn't sound like ya messed up too much. And a clean miss too....way better than a bad hit.
As for the issue...I think it may be a form issue. May need a blank bale eyes closed exercise to tweak the muscle memory. Sounds silly, but works wonders...atleast for me and a few of my friends.
Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I too, absorb from time to time.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
I feel your pain. I missed a spikehorn last night, right over his back. But a small maple sapling gave its life to stop my arrow.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Go shoot as many small game animals as you can. I put this one down to "the fever!" It happens to me with ducks all the time(not shooting those with a bow though). I have found that the last thoughts running through my conscious mind before I make a shot usually have the biggest influence on the shot. If I tell myself right before I draw, "Pick your spot, take your time!" things go a whole lot better. On the other hand, if I am over excited and impatient things head south really fast.

Someone on here has a tagline that reads "back tension BEFORE backstraps!" I would guess your form is breaking down in your excitement to kill the animal.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Like TJ said, what hand are your.  Makes a big difference.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Just curious, what broadhead you were using.  I can tune by arrows to shoot a wide broadhead and do fine at targets but on game, I must short draw or something and my accuracy goes out the window.  Try a 3 to 1 broadhead like a Howard Hill broadhead and see if you can't start killing some deer.  I know they work well for me when my form is less than perfect.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Sounds like a few things, lack of concentration(pick a hair not the heart or lungs), not consistent release(ie. plucking,hand not coming straight back)and not following through. Practice,practice,practice. Best of luck! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Have you practiced from your stool?  
Yes, but when I saw the buck, I stood up with plenty of time to get ready.

Are you right handed and were you wearing a face mask?  
Yes, both. And no, I don't practice much w/the mask.    :mad:  

Thanks for the responses. BTW, my first miss this season was a 6pt at 14 yds, from a stand. Shot over his back.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I sucked Saturday morning, also. This is a great thread and the responses are very reassuring.  I missed a spikehorn right over his back from 12 yards. I've really been beating myself up over it. Thanks all for chiming in here...really helping alot of us regain our confidence.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©