3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help, I suck.  (Read 466 times)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help, I suck.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 04:45:00 AM »
I have been there too. Do a search for "Game Panic". I read some threads about this and it helped me find a way to get calm.  1) Control your breathing 2) Focus on the spot. A fellow suggested to me to shoot all of the small game I could to practice the pressure of shooting at critters. It has helped me.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
I keep saying to myself and I ready this year to take up the trad bow and or should I stay with the compound. With the compound if I see a deer I have been been able to shoot them if they are under 35 yards. But with the trad bow I just seem not to get it. I was ready for this year ( at 69 ) there may not be a lot more of hunting season as the body goes south. But yesterday I went to shoot BH.s with the trad recurve bow. The first arrow went over the target and is in the back woods somewhere. How could I miss the mind asked at 20 yards a 4 ft block. I shot another arrow and it went into the center of the block. I pulled the arrow and shot one from 15 yards and into the center it went. I did this for another 15 minutes and all were in the center and all would have been kill shots. What I learned was we still have to make sure we all have a shooting sequence, draw back, lock in, pick a hair to shoot at and keep that bow arm up till you see the arrow strinke the target. It seems it is more mind over physical. I did not make sure I took the time in shooting the 1st arrow to lock in that ancor. I also am sure I did pick a spot but maybe it was the 4 ft block and not that hair. I did try also sitting in my bow stool that I carry into the blinds.

keep your chin up, I think we keep working at archery skills due to we all can not be a fred Bear...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
I went to a "bowhunting school for women" in TN once a few years ago. Actually it was 10 years ago this season. Right after 9/11.

It started with us all (I was the only trad hunter) shoot some 3-D. I was keeping right up there with the others and kinda wowing them.

But when I got on stand and had deer in front of me it was a different story. Missed the same deer 4xs! I had hunted before but not many shot opps. It took me about 5 months to get it back under control. But I didn't have Tradgang back then! Lots of good advice and support here!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
I am right hand and if I pluck or otherwise get a sloppy release my arrow tends to go right.  For left shots, I think it most times is my bow arm or bow hand.  Best thing I can do for left shooting is be sure to have an non torque grip, be pushing on the shot, and not be at full arm extension at the shot so my arm can only follow through by going left instead of straight ahead.  I also find trying to hold the bow with no push can cause my arm to jump around on the shot.

Another left shot issue for me is not getting my anchor tight into my face or pulling through tight to my face.  Getting your fingers sticking out farther or the face mask could cause you to hit anchor, but have your string out a little and throw your shot left.

There are many other factors like panic on a deer, but you said   your arrow went low and left on the deer, and it was doing that off and one while shooting the target.  Deer panic usually cause shots to go all over the place not on consistent spot. Could be a combo of stuff, but I suspect something in bow arm or anchor.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
I think Doc Nock nailed it and others alluded to it.  I have had the same problem even on the foam deer and it almost always comes down to lifting my head to see where the arrow went.  My experience has been that if you are right handed, this will cause the arrow to go left every time.  I have to force myself to follow through and hold until the arrow hits the animal.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Doc & Stinger, I think you guys are correct. I think I peeked, and didn't follow through. I shot in my yard today, Only shot left once out of 20 or so shots. Concentrated on the follow through, and was consistent. It was also a cold shot that went awry. Just like the miss, a cold shot.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
You may also be left eye dominant - point at someone's nose and they can tell you. I am left eye right handed and have to concentrate to keep from letting the left eye take over which makes me hit left. When I don't follow through or get too pumped, I shoot over deer. Hang in there - we all miss more often than seems possible.

Offline TRADSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I missed the biggest buck I have ever shot at with traditional gear the same way. No follow through and tried to peak,  shot to the left in the dirt. That was two days ago...... hard to shake it. You are not alone.

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
.i am a peeker and have been working this year with my therapist to cure it. Once i found out that i was a peeker and came out, it was much easier to confront my issue head on. I have been going to a traditional archers support group for 6 mths now and feel better now that i know there are others with the same problem. My therapy support group has all kinds. Peekers, short drawers, string pluckers,flinchers, bad aligners and arm slappers. The guys i really feel bad for are the ones who suffer from pre-mature releasing(they have the hardest time admitting it). So all i can say is to look for a local TRADGANG Reformers chapter near you.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by TooManyHobbies:

Have you practiced from your stool?  
Yes, but when I saw the buck, I stood up with plenty of time to get ready.

Are you right handed and were you wearing a face mask?  
Yes, both. And no, I don't practice much w/the mask.      :mad:    

Thanks for the responses. BTW, my first miss this season was a 6pt at 14 yds, from a stand. Shot over his back. [/b]
About four years ago I was on the ground hunting in a heavy snow storm with a thick face mask on. To make a long story short, a doe drug a really nice heavy horned 10 pointer right by my tree I was standing behind. When the buck got broadside passing me I grunted and he stopped perfectly about 12 yards away. I released and the arrow went WAY left. I shot a lot and never shot left. It was the face mask. It made my rear anchor point more right than normal which in turn made my arrow fly left. Loose the mask and be a painter. Or practice with it all the time and your anchor will change. Of course then when you don't have it on your arrow impact point will move back right....Just easier to lose the mask IMO.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
LMAO @ Maxfit. Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a peeker too.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Brian
i am thinking i need to bring this specific  topic to the forum...anything i can do to help my Trad brothers!
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by TooManyHobbies:
LMAO @ Maxfit. Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a peeker too.
X2    :biglaugh:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©