3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Jersey TradGangers- A Little Help?  (Read 231 times)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Jersey TradGangers- A Little Help?
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
It looks like I'm going to be stuck in NJ one more winter, so I'm trying to prep for this seasons deer hunting. After a long lay-off from hunting I did a little last fall, mostly scouting since I was not prepared, as I thought I was out of here. I'm thinking of trying Wharton SF. It's 115,000 acres, which is good because I can hunt deep and get away from the crowds at the edges. It also has wilderness campsites which is great so I won't have to drive back and forth everyday.
   Does anyone have experience hunting there? I plan to do some scouting, but that is an awful big chunk of land and I doubt I'll have time to really look it over. I just ordered State maps, but I would really appreciate any advise or help from guys that have hunted it.   :help:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Jersey TradGangers- A Little Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Never hunted down there Danny. Might you be interested hunting north western Jersey?

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
danny... i just got home from college for good and I'll be hunting wharton a fair amount come the fall and I'd love to do some scouting with ya if you were interrested!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Bentpole, I just looked you up on my atlas and I see you are near Pompton Lakes. Must be quiet up there compared to the madness I live near down here. I hear the Northwest areas are the best hunting in the State. Do you hunt public land? I'd be interested in hunting anywhere in the state. I don't mind driving some distance, I just don't care to drive back and forth everyday. I was thinking Wharton because there is a camp site there, on the other hand I like hunting hardwood forest better than the Pines. My schedule is flexible to some extent. Currently I'm off Monday and Tuesday, good hunting days since not as many in the woods weekdays. I'll probably take some time off during the season also.
   Ironrhino, I sent you a PM.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Danny sorry I forgot about your thread LOL gettin old KRS disease. Anyway if your in to camping there's Stokes State Forest.Stokes has plenty of deer but we like Delaware WaterGap National Recreation Area which is 15 minutes from where you can camp in Stokes. Plus you have Flatbrook Roy Bridge WMA.Basically if you look at your Atlas you'll see from the Water Gap Bridge to the Milford Bridge there is a ton of land. Worthington State Forest is in there too.What make Delaware WaterGap National Rec Area so good is the Federal Government leases the land to farmers cheap and they plant corn all along Old Mine Road. It's like hunting a big farm with hardwoods on the other side of the road.The deer herd isn't what it used to be but still deer around,bear and 'Yotes too red fox.Best time to be up there is opening day pheasant season [permit bow] plus the rut is on . The pheasant hunters kick the deer up.If your interested let me know it's almost time for me and Bucky to start a little scouting.Try NJ Fish and Game web site too .

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks Bentpole for the info. I'll be deciding soon what I'm going to do. The reason I'm looking for a place to camp is to cut down on driving.  I'm off from Sunday morning till Wed evening. Figured I could drive directly to the hunting grounds when I get off, set up a basic camo, and be set-up before sun-up on monday. That would save a lot of gas and no hotel bills. I also like camping, heck, living on a sailboat is like a camping trip that never ends.
   I won't likely have time for scouting until Sept though. I'm finishing-up a restoration on my boat and I need at least a month to button things up.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
No problem send me an e-mail whenever.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©