3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Long Shooting Before You Hunt?  (Read 505 times)

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
How Long Shooting Before You Hunt?
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I've been shooting compound bows for about 5 years.  I am very deadly with a wheeled bow out to 40 yards.

About a month ago I got a recurve and have been practicing daily and I can easily get within a dinner plate out to 20 yards, and I could probably even take a deer out to 30 although I would not attempt it.  My groups are usually about 4-5" at 10, 6-8" at 20 yards shooting a 6-7 shot group.

Today I had the most amazing hunting experience of my life.  I spotted some doe and a spike about 50 yards away.  I watched them and knowing the local land I estimated where they were heading.

I stalked over to a likely spot and propped myself against some logs leaning against a tree.  As the deer approached I lay dead still, fearing to blink even.  When the doe got about 15 yards away she stopped and stared at me for 5 minutes, which seemed like 4 hours.   I didn't move and she moved on.  As he head went behind a tree I moved my arm to brace myself.  Then a minute or two later I was out of sight for 3-4 seconds and I silently stood up and drew.  At this point she was 18-20 yards away when she came out from behind the tree.

I aimed a little low, hoping to perforate the heart and for a fast and humane kill. I was dead in line horizontally but my height was a little off and I shot just under her vitals.  2-3 inches up and it would have been perfect.

This miss has shaken my resolve in hunting with the bow this year for big game.  While I am very competent with the target, my missing worried me that I could make a bad shot and wound an animal, which I don't want to do.

Tomorrow I'll take out the compound bow(I've been simultaneously practicing with this as well and it's all set up and tuned with broadheads).

So how long has everyone been shooting their traditional bows before taking them hunting?
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Long Shooting Before You Hunt?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
I have been doing a punishing schedule of practice for the last 3.5 months going to as many 3ds as I could make and doing marathon practices at the indoor ranges multiple days a week. I was a little ticked with myself the other day when I went from hero to zero on the bag before the hunt. I just blew it off and the accuracy came back in a few ends. Misses happen. I think the best thing to do is continue to practice and stick with the trad gear. Like all methods if you want to kill deer with it you've gotta put in the time, in practice and afield. Shake it off, hit the bag a little more and give 'em the broadhead.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
When I was 14 years old, I practiced for 2 months, everyday during that time period and then I went bowhunting with my target recurve. For 2 years, I never got a shot off since the deer were beyond my own self imposed comfort zone of 20 yards.

When I was 16 years old, a doe came in and I finally got the shot and it was a broadside shot at 15 yards. I made the most of the shot. I didn't try for any "heart shot". I went with my favorite double lung shot since the lungs are the biggest target for a bowhunter.

Since I was pulling 36#, there was no bow string twang noise because I was using a heavy arrow. The shot was a total pass through where the arrow was still flying in the air after exiting the deer. The deer ran about 40-45 yards and piled up.

I don't know why newcomers want heart shots. If the shot is low, the arrow goes underneath the deer for a clean miss most of the times....which you already know. Do yourself a favor next time and aim for the lungs. It's a much bigger target than the heart and no animal goes far without lungs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Hang the training wheels up for good.  You got close enough, your right and left was good.  You simply missed low.  You made the right choice in targeting the heart.  Miss low the animal lives, miss high you get low lungs.   Experts occasionally miss shots as do average shooters. If you can repeat that situation you will kill the next one.  This time aim for the top of the heart and you will make your first trad kill.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Hang the training wheels up for good.  You got close enough, your right and left was good.  You simply missed low.  You made the right choice in targeting the heart.  Miss low the animal lives, miss high you get low lungs.   Experts occasionally miss shots as do average shooters. If you can repeat that situation you will kill the next one.  This time aim for the top of the heart and you will make your first trad kill.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
i have been practicing every day for months, alot more latly since i switched to a different bow in august.  with deer season opening oct 15th i have been firing a ton of arrows a day including one with th head im using. cant wait to get out there and hunt. i plan on taking warm up shots before i head to the stand to loosen up.   i to shoot compounds alot and its amazing how little practice you need to be able to kill out to 40 yds compared to the practice it takes to hit good with a longbow at 20.

good luck and hope we will see some pics of a deer soon
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Excellent question. There are a couple of things to consider.

First, are you accurate enough in the field? Shooting a paper plate from a known distance is a lot different than shooting at a small target at an unknown distance.  I'd suggest going on a few extensive stump shooting excursions. Wear your hunting gear and shoot one arrow at a time. Don't pace anything off beforehand. Pick some small targets (leaves, rotten stumps, mushrooms, etc) at varying distances, from 5 yards to 40. Shoot from a lot of different positions and shoot as if you were shooting at an animal. Slowly and deliberately.  What you want is for your arrow to hit with a feather's length of your intended target. You'll be able to get a good visual of what your effective distance looks like in the field.

Second, how well do you perform under pressure? Hunting small game will reveal that, and are a great way to confirm your skills.

There is absolutely no shame in not pursuing deer until you are ready. I wish a lot of others had your restraint and patience.

Let me add this, too. Your miss was just that you misjudged the distance. And that is much, much better than missing left or right. Getting better at judging distances will only come with practice. Leave that paper target alone and get out in the woods. Heck, shooting at a tennis ball tossed around your yard is a great way to get your eye tuned to your arrow flight.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
Don't give up be persistent. Keep practicing just as you hunt. You did get close enough!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
i'm a firm believer in confidence in your shooting ability is a huge part of it...  

have you ever noticed that you do some of your best shooting when you just don't think about it all, and just do it?

Looper's suggestion is a good one... the only thing I'd add is "Aim small, miss small." pick a spot, and run you shot.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
I agree with everyone. The way i was able to get totally confident with a Traditional bow was sell my compound. If i had the compound i would use it as a crutch and think " man if i would have had my compound i would have made that shot".. It took my 2 years to take my first deer. But it is something i will never forget.

Dont let the miss get to you to bad.. we all miss.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »
Keep at it . Take to heart what the others told you . I hunt all year long and when not hunting I shoot in the back yard. That was your first try go and keep going for it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
I was hunting after about 6 weeks of deligent practice after I got my 1st recurve.If I was to shoot an arrow that year it would have only been out to 15 years maximum and hopefully closer.I never loosed an arrow except for at a coyote which I missed that season

I was much more accomplished shooting a bow my second season after having another year to practice.Things become much more ingrained over time.

Pick a spot !!!

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
Stick with it. I have been dealing with the same thing. I can make the shots at home, but really don't want to wound an animal. I lost a nice 8 point a couple years ago due to being over eager to take a shot with my compound. After tracking that deer for the better part of a day, and loosing him i felt sick, and told myself i would never do that again.
   I will normally practice on the targets I have in the yard, then throw on some judo points and start shooting what ever I see normally leaves, flowers, dog toys. Its a long road, but it will be worth it.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Shooting instinctively is 90% mental and 50% passion, or somethin' like that. IMHO:
1.) Put the arrow flinger away.
2.) Use a smaller target - Aim small miss small
3.) Only shoot 2-3 arrows at a time - but over the same time period as your 6 arrows - allow for a proper mindset.
4.)Think of a proper kill shot, pick a spot and release when you KNOW your ready.
5.)Shoot from 5-20 yards to find your comfort zone. And helps with instinctive thought process.
6.)Traditional bow hunting is so much more than the kill. It's all about getting close, being close and realizing the benefits of hunting the hard way.

Just my thoughts.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Excellent advice from everyone. I'd only add to make sure you're having fun out there! Keep at it, we all miss sometimes...I think my 10th shot at a deer was my first kill.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I too like heart shots because I tend to shoot high. Nothing bleeds like a heart shot. Oldtimers miss close shots sometimes. No guarantees.

Confidence will determine your ethical shot. Experience builds confidence. *Even gun hunters make mistakes. Doesn't make it right. Respect your game, do your best,...no excuses needed. You get my vote.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Everyone misses at some point.  Everyone will wound at some point.  Paper plates don't get the heart pounding like deer do.  Adrenaline at the moment of truth makes shooting at game a different experience.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Keep hunting with the trad bow. You will never gain confidence in it unless you kill some thing with it. The fact you hit the deer and did not recover is unfortunate but that can happen to guys who have killed 50 deer with a trad bow. Back in 96-97 I bought a Howatt Hunter and shot it for a few days and went out and killed a deer with it. Keep huntin!! Shawn
Shawn

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Some may slam me for this, But.....  :rolleyes:

If you're consistantly in a dinner plate, you're "accuracy" is good enough!!!!! Back in the 1970's, all of us boys shot at paper plates, and we practiced out to 30 yards. Also Btw, I was shooting the "heaviest" bow... A 50# Bear Alaskan.

We killed alot of deer between us,and we only lost one that ran into a swamp with knee-deep water. Besides the "Plate" practice, we all carried a blunt,or Judo tipped arrow in our quiver, and "stumped" on our way into or out of the woods. (depending if it was morning or evening, going in and out)

Sell the compound, and buy some Judo points!!!!! As long as you own that wheely bow, you will keep switching back every time your confidense wavers.

Shoot Straight!!! Good Luck!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm with "m midd."  The only way you're gonna kill a deer with a trad bow is to shoot trad.  There are no two ways about it.

But, Gonzoso is right to be concerned about the ethical part of hunting with trad.  It's a serious question, whether one should hunt with trad if one is merely going to wound a deer.  When I last faced this (a month ago), I had a serious talk with myself about my accuracy - then I made sure I was "on" before I went hunting, or I wasn't going out.  I think people should take that consideration seriously, it will only serve to improve our sport.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©