3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2nd guessing  (Read 204 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
2nd guessing
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
This past saturday was pa opener.Ihad a another stand i found a nice spot to put it just outside an apple orchord.stand was placed 3wks ago.it was a 2 man stand with a rifle rail that you can fold behind you.while sitting just before daylite i was thinking about folding it behind me should a chance for a shot arise.but i 2nd guessed my self or it was stupidityi let the rail out in front of me .about 1 hour goes by i see some brown moving in .i stand up bow ready deer gets closer shooter 8pt and a smaller buck trailing.getting ready for the shot 8pt walks in at 17-18 yrds stops on trail head down quartin away everthing is perfect so far then i drew my bow .then the bottom limb hits the shootin rail.had to pause to got better footing .thought i was clear of rail.drew anchor apon release bottom limb hits rail shot was 10in over back of the best 8pt i had the chance to draw on since trad  bow hunting.well i educated 2 bucks with one shot.after that disapointment stayed in my head all day long.well i guess it was stupidity ill never make that mistake twice {happy huntin and good luck to all}

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2nd guessing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Well join the club Chub.We all do it in one form or another from time to time.The good news is you had a great experience,obviously picked a good stand placement and learned something for future use.You may get another crack at that deer.Hope to hear more.Good luck.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
You'll get him next time!  All you can do is shake your head and move on to the next hunt.  Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
It's called "live and learn". I guarantee you won't make the same mistake like that again.

When I build a ground blind, I make sure nothing can interfere with my limbs, either drawing the arrow or when the arrow is released.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I think most everyone that has hunted very long has some kind of story like that. Don't worry about it. You had a clean miss, which is way better than a bad hit anyday. These things usually happen for a reason. Maybe you will see a bigger one later on? It just was not your turn to get one that day.

Bisch

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Sorry but that would be a no brainer, they get in your way with a bow, that is why they are not called a bow rail. Shawn
Shawn

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Bad choices make good experience. It's saved to file.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
one thing about it, i bet ya never do it again!
is it September yet??

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Perhaps the next buck may even be nicer since you will be ready.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
There will be other shot opportunities....

Was there was any damage done to your bow?

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
no kirk i was happy no damage to the bow .i was glad it was a clean miss rather then wounding that beauty buck.

Offline Joe Q.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Don't feel bad.  Had almost the same thing happen to me couple weeks ago out of a new ladder stand I hadn't shot out of before. But it was the arm rest in the way on a shot to the 7 o'clock position from the way the stand was facing. Took out a crescent wrench and pliers and took the arm rests off as soon as the buck walked off.  lol

Chain-on stands like the millenium are easier to shoot out of by the way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©