3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yearling with spots  (Read 461 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Yearling with spots
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I was out last evening and seen a yearling come to my stand. It was fairly large to still have spot this time of year and this is the first time I have seen spots this late. I think it was a buck because it was all by it's self, I figure the mom has ran it off. Has anyone seen this before this late?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yearling with spots
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I`ve seen deer with spots in december here before but we have allooonngg rut. You can hardly tell it sometimes.
  They are very good to eat though...RC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
easier to pick a spot.

Good eaters. Up here late fawns have a much harder time making it through the winter between feeding and predation.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
I`ve seen deer with spots in december here before but we have allooonngg rut. You can hardly tell it sometimes.
  They are very good to eat though...RC
x2.  i let em walk though.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I dont see why its taboo to shoot spots? in 3 weeks when all the spots are gone there just any other deer, they are so much better eating!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Some yearling deer with spots might not be whitetail deer. It might be an axis deer if it's large.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
in other parts of the world, young-of-the-year critters are harvested as part of good game managment.  Mortality is high in the first few years anyway.  Here we have hang-ups about shooting "big dry does".  Many areas of our country have too many deer. Spots or not, do what you want to do, within the law.
I regularly get a brochure from a PH in South Africa and their packages for game often include many opportunities to shoot young game animals.  Especially wart hogs and impala.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
A yearling is an animal between 1 and 2 years old.  If it's a yearling then I'd be surprised with spots.  

I've seen lots of fawns with spots this late and even later.  I shoot fawns later in the year after they add some weight but I have a hard time shooting them this early.  Good for camp meat I guess.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I miss spoke, I meant to say Fawn sorry
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Then it makes sense to me.  I was hunting early November a few years ago and had a doe come in.  I was going to shoot her and then a very young, spotted fawn shows up and starts suckling.  It couldn't have been more than a couple months old.  That means the doe was bred in late winter.  Lots of does and only a few bucks will do that I guess.  Or maybe she was a late bloomer  :)   This was in KY where winter kill isn't a big factor.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
I dont see why its taboo to shoot spots? in 3 weeks when all the spots are gone there just any other deer, they are so much better eating!
i didn't say it was taboo.... i just don't shoot anything smaller then my dog.  if you want to then go right ahead.  who am i to judge what you should and shouldn't shoot?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Shootem Liz Shootem
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
John S.  You are right, I think.  Regardless, "yearling" has become the euphamism/synonym for fawn in a lot of areas.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
i have seen deer with spots in late november in Tennessee. In late oct last year i had a doe and spotted fawn walk under my tree in a green field and the fawn was less than 2 weeks old. it lokked like a rabbit with long legs. it still was wobbling around when it walked. it could of been a week old.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I miss spoke, I meant to say Fawn sorry
Two weeks ago, I had a whitetail doe and her two fawns come up to our house for some corn we throw out every evening before dark because of the drought. Her fawns were spotted then, but last evening with the fading light of day, we saw her and her two fawns and the fawns no longer had their spots.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I am still seeing them around here.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
John has it right, it is a fawn until it is between 1-1.5 years old. Whitetails can have spots as late as Nov. around here if it was not born until the 2nd. week in July. Most of our does drop the first 2 weeks of June. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
In Germany, they manage the herds very carefully to match the available feed. We shot does, bucks and fawns there, but normally take the fawn first and then the doe. That way you don't leave an orphan. I never did any bow hunting there (obviously, because it's illegal) but have taken a fawn several times and the doe just stands and watches. Of course they drop at the shot with a rifle. Might not be so easy if the fawn runs off.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
I have took yearlings in my early days of deer hunting but I just dont need the meat so I hold out for a good size doe or buck . Its not at all uncommon for me to see yearlings with spots this early but they will lose them shortly .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Ky Double Lung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Just last evening I had a spotted fawn pass under me that couldn't have been no more than 8 weeks old. Momma was no where to be seen. That means old momma doe was bred sometime in mid Feb?
Cactus Cal's
'Saguaro' R/D Longbow 58"
55 lbs. @ 28"
Beman 340 MFX Classic 31"
100 grain brass insert
2 blade 125 Magnus Stinger
Total weight: 592 grains
"Bustin' hearts all over Ky."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©