3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hiatus from hunting for a bit and why.  (Read 418 times)

Re: hiatus from hunting for a bit and why.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
when i miss, i just smile and shake my head!!

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
I've emtpied a bow quiver on a buck the first year hunting with my longbow, yep he stood there the whole time and watched me miss high.

I think(for me anyways)a high miss is cause i'm not following through and instead looking for the arrow to hit.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
A few years ago I missed the same Hog 3 times he finally shook his head and sauntered off much to my relief! LOL
I found two of my arrows and went back to camp.   :campfire:    :dunno:

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Missing high - where have I heard that.

By far the most common miss and none of us are immune to missing.

Many target archers will prefer to come down on the target where a veteran hunter feels it may be advantageous for him to come up on the animal. Eyes focused intently on the spot as the bow arm raises to position.

Why did you miss high? Far too many variables to pinpoint, however my conjecture is that your shot execution in the field did not match your practised shot execution. Whatever position you take during the shot must not compromise form.

You will resolve your issue.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I appreciate all the help guys give on this but I truly think we OVERthink this stuff. It is a psychological FACT that you can only concentrate on ONE thing at a time.  If you are thinking about all this stuff there is NO WAY you can concentrate on the spot you want to hit.

I have been shooting trad for almost 25 years too.  I went to it as one who played sports and was quite familiar with being a quarterback and basketball player.  I never took a basketball shot in my life during a game where I had to "think" about the position of my body etc.  You work through those things in practice, step by step.  But when it comes time to shoot- you just shoot.  I have never had a problem bending at waist, thinking about form, etc etc. . .  The arrow goes where I am looking-PERIOD!

The only problem is focusing on a spot.  I have learned to use the "button technique" as described by Jay Kidwell in his book.  That has made a HUGE difference for me.  If I do not use this I would tend to shoot high or over the back as my mind would focus on the entire shoulder. And there is no practice I could do to that would stop this on an actual deer! (Its called "stimulus confusion"-its a brain issue that physical-form practice at targets will not alleviate. . .  the Button technique is designed for people that have this conflict- like ME!)

Love all the Tradgang input- but be careful you do not try to over think this thing- it is suppose to be natural and fun.  Take certain days to practice certain aspects of your shot- but when it is time to shoot your deer (or target).  Pick the button and hit it- PERIOD!

Good hunting and shooting.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Get a light weight bow and practice holding at anchor from all differnet positions.  Make sure your draw length doesn't change on release.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I think KSdan is right. I have missed high before, but it's always been due to not picking a spot. If you shoot at a deer out of a stand you will shot over it generally. If you pick a spot you will be dragging one soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©