3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kennym Lease Hunt 2011 (4 DEER TOTAL DOWN)  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kennym Lease Hunt 2011 (4 DEER TOTAL DOWN)
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
:campfire:   Remember the tines in the picture. HELLO ANYBODY
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Must be watching the Cardinals!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I right there with ya ED,  what Gives  :dunno:

Ok I'll go back to being patient.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm gonna let them tell their story so I don't mess it up or leave out any important stuff! They are headed home in a bit.

Hang with me here!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
How about those Cards! I'll be patient Kenny.   :coffee:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
They just left with deer hooves stickin up outta the truck bed, said they would give an update when all the cool pics are uploaded!   :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
:coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:  Man I am buzzing!!   :eek:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
They may be worn out, what with an 8 hour drive, then deer to process....

Maybe I'll have a couple...  :coffee:    :coffee:    :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Hey boys, we made it home in one piece.  The drive home seemed twice as long as the drive there.LOL  I promise I'll have pics and a story to tell this week end.

I just want to say first of all that my son-in-law and I had the time of our lives.  The properties we hunted were beautiful and full of deer.  The old house / cabin was perfect.  But most of all Kenny was a first class host.

Man am I tired.  We started hunting around 3:00 p.m. Friday the 21st and hunted until 10:00 this morning.  With the exception of last Friday and today we spent 6-7 hours each day sitting in our stands or blinds.  And I'll say this before I get off and hopefully watch my Cardnials win the series, if we had killed all the deer we shot at this past week we would have had to borrowed Kenny's trailer to haul them home.  :archer:  

More tomorrow.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Glad you made it home in good shape! Will be waitin to read when you get rested!

Take care!  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Well boys been washing cloths, puttin away gear, visiting with family and cuttin up deer all day.  

Here is how our hunt went.

Last November I informed my son and son-in-law that with or without them I wanted to go somewhere other than Arkansas on a bowhunting trip.  So, if they wanted to go they had better get their wives used to the idea a little ahead of time.  We started looking at places to go and critters to hunt.  I had been odering lams from Kenny for a while and had never paid any attention to his lease property on his website but now it clicked.  I asked if he had any spots open and he put me in line for one of the lease weeks and when the dates were determined we chose our week.

It was all we could think or talk about all winter, spring and summer.  Just the three of us hunting for a week.  Well, as things happen, my son took a new job teaching school in Hot Springs and could not go.  Darrell and I almost canceled the trip.  We decided to go anyway and hope my son could go on another trip with us next year.

We arrived at Kenny's and after unpacking and getting the grand tour.  We put on our camo and went to the stands that Kenny had already set up for us.  He called them "observation" stands but both stands we sat in were on active deer runs.

Darrell hunted a stand that afternoon Kenny called the shakey stand because the tree was a small tree and shook a little.  He saw two doe but could not get a shot.  I think he was a litle surprised to see deer this quickly.  I sat in a stand on the east side of the property in a small draw between a bean field and an old grown up grass field.  I didn't see anything that afternooon.

The plan for Saturday was to hunt the same stands we sat in Friday afternoon in the morning and do some scouting and put up some stands of our own to hunt Sat. evening.  I saw two doe moving across the grass field about 50-60 yards away.  No shot for me but they gave me ideas about where I might move for the next day.

Darrells morning was a little more exciting then mine.  I am goig to let him chime in and tell his side of the "close encounter"

By the way, my son-in-law is a recent convert to traditional bowhunting.  He had his first traditional kill last fall on his property in Paragould.  He,like many others, can't believe how much more enjoyable hunting with trad equipment can be.

I'll be back tomorrow with some pictures.  Our excitment is just about to start.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Excellent so far! C'mon Darryl!  :campfire:  

BTW- Ol shakey got the name from none other than Mr. Charlie Lamb.

(I didn't think it was all that shakey!  :D  )
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
gee I will seek out the "shakey stand" as I find my self getting a lil shakey as I decide to draw down on a deer and my heart starts racing!! Maybe it'll correct my shakes!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Darrell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Well I'm not a good story teller but here goes.
As David said we hunted the same stands Friday afternoon and sat morning. Kenny had showed me a good trail to sneak into "shaky" with that wouldn't make much noise. So that's the route I took sat morning.  It wasn't long after light when I caught movement to my left. A button buck and a small doe had stepped out of a draw just beside me just as Kenny said they would. The button buck fed with in just a few yards of me for several minutes but the little doe left no shot. They fed on and moved across the field and out I'd sight.
The plan that morning was to hunt till about 9am and then get down and do some scouting. It was about 8:45am and I hadn't seen anything else and i was hot so I decided to get down and take my coat and some extra baggage to the truck so i would be lighter and cooler as we scouted the property.   After I left the truck  I decided to head back to "shaky" and ease down the side of the bean field and see what sign I could see. So I eased back down the trail to shaky and when I got there I already had company the Dow and button buck were back. Luckily the limbs that were cut when shaky was put in were fallen down right in front of me so I had good cover and the deer never saw me. I watched em feed for a few minutes and they moved away from me and started to head into the trees about 20 yds from me, when for some reason they turned and headed straight to me. They kept getting closer and closer and I just knew at any minute they would wind me and bust out of there but they kept coming. The button got to within at least 6 or 7 yds and looked right toward me like he was looking right through me. I again thought at any minute he would bust out. But instead he turned broadside and put his head down and grazed off into the woods. I got excited because the little doe had been following him and I just knew she would stop in the same place he did and I would get to fling my first arrow of the hunt. However she turned to follow him but she stopped behind a big clump of tall weeds and then trotted of never giving me my shot.  
But what a moment getting face to face with a deer on the ground!!! Something I had never done before. And it was just our first full day there.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Sat. morning after scouting I put up a stand where I thought the deer were moving from the fields to the draw to the grass field.  Unfortunately I was about 30-40 yards off target.  Here is a view of the areas where the deer were traveling.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Sat. afternoon I saw 5 deer from that stand.  Four doe came through one or two at a time several minutes apart.  About 5:30 that afternoon a spike trailed me to my stand from down wind.  I had dragged a rag into my stand and he trailed me like a beagle hound.  I could have dropped a rock on his head.

I had high hopes Sunday morning.  It was pretty cold, around 38 degrees.  It didn't take long.  At 7:30 I saw 5 deer coming from a corn field down the fence line I was on straight to me.  They were all doe.  A couple of them were big mature doe.  I had set up on a run that was beat out with deer sign.  The deer acted like they were going to bypass me to the west so I used my "can" a couple times and sure enough here they come.  

One of the smaller yearling doe was first to come into the run.  She immediately stuck her head to the ground feeding on a mineral block Kenny had placed near the run.  She was broad side up wind to me at 18 yards.  Perfect!  Almost!  Dead center of her ribs between me and her was an oak sapling about 4" round.  I waited and waited.  A yound fawn came into the run and I hoped she would bump the bigger doe for a better shot.  She did just that, but about that time the coyotes a couple fields away went nuts howling.  

The deer were on high alert.  I watched as she turned left and then right for a quartering away shot at 23 yards.  I think I rushed the shot and didn't concentrate enough on the "spot".  I missed about 4" right.  I think I was as surprised as she was.  I watched them for about 20 minutes and was patient but sometimes things happpen too fast.

Here is the run where she was near the mineral block.  I should have shot at her while she was behind the sapling.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Sunday afternoon I decided to keep them guessing so I moved to the edge of the bean field with a portable blind.

I saw two more doe that afternoon but they crossed the bean field at the other end going to the grass field.  I sat there again Monday morning but no deer came through.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©