3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kennym Lease Hunt 2011 (4 DEER TOTAL DOWN)  (Read 2656 times)

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kennym Lease Hunt 2011 (4 DEER TOTAL DOWN)
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I wasn't the only one that missed a deer Sunday morning.  When I met Darrell at edge of the field he had a long face and I knew he had had bad luck.  

We had moved him to a real hot corner between two bean fields.  He had a doe come in just right at 21 steps.  Missed!  Called her back and yes missed again!  He said he made a good shot on a tree.  :help:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
This is just as good as hearin it the first time!

Note: All the trad hunters I've met at this are as good as gold!  :notworthy:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
Whew Hew... just printed my MO license... I am anxiously looking forward to heading up and giving them MO deer a shot!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Slasher, take lots of arrows!  :biglaugh:

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Flanrey:
Slasher, take lots of arrows!   :biglaugh:  
I am!!! I have been a proud member of team Pink and even made up a couple of white fletched ones as well!!!

But I only need one well placed arrow to make my season!!! I have the script down and will hope that the deer read it carefully and play their part and run into my arrow and sacrifice themselves!!!   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    

after all the Good Lord looks after children and fools and I am counting upon that!!!   :D
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
:campfire:     :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
What day are we on??  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Darrell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I'll pick up on Saturday, which is were david left off I think.
We finished scouting early saturday afternoon and set me up a stand in between two bean fields near a creek bottom. It was pretty clear the deer were moving down the creek so we set my stand up just a few yards from it.
I got to my stand later that afternoon and wasn't there long when I saw a doe moving down the creek just as we thought.  I don't know what it was but she didn't like something and stopped about 40 yds and headed back the way she came.  Just a few minutes later another doe came to about 25 yds and did the same thing.

Sunday morning I got back in the same stand ready to see some deer. At 9:15 a doe came trotting in from behind me stopping in between two trees about 20 yds from me.  I pulled back and let the first arrow of the hunt fly. "I hit dead center" of the tree that is. MISS #1

She trotted off about 10-15 yds. I reached for my can, hit it and back she came.  A second chance.  I for sure wouldn't miss twice.  She cam to stop about 8 yds from me behind some brush of course.  She finally stepped out and started quartering away from me as she walked off.  I confidently pulled back my bow and let the second arrow go.  However my upper limb smacked a little limb stub out on my tree.  The arrow sailed right over her back.  MISS #2

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Well done Darrel, a guy who doesn't make more than one excuse per arrow!(inside joke)  :bigsmyl:    :notworthy:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
BTW, I'm serious, Darrel is a good one!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
:campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Darrell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny. As you know plenty more of those "excuses" to come!!!!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
I know how it works buddy! Thats for sure!!  :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
On Monday we decided to hunt our Sunday stands one more morning and then move to the south property.  I went back to my blind but saw no deer.  I hunted until around 9:30 and pulled out by blind and the lock on.  Darrell hunted "shakey" and saw another doe but before she could get close enough for a shot those coyotes let out another round of howels and yelps.  They did this nearly every morning around 7:30-8:00 and every evening around 6:00.  Both of us saw coyotes more than once during the week but had no shots at them.

We headed back to the cabin to change into our work cloths and get a bite to eat.  Now off to south property.  After about an hour of walking and looking we hung my stand on the north fence line about mid way of the property near a really really thick bedding area.  We put up a spare stand on the northwest corner of the property near a dry creek that had a scrape run along with several pretty fresh rubs.  But it was just not "the spot" we were looking for.

We hadn't put Darrells stand up yet.  Did another walk through on another dried up drain.  We found some highly used trails but still not what we were looking for.

However, I found something that had belonged to a hunter!!  I found a carbon arrow tipped with a big Magnus (i think) with a bleeder that had a Tradgang.com fl. green cap wrap fletched with 4 fl green fletch.  Anyone want to claim it?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Yep...Kenny told me you found it...and that he had it....thanks...that head was given to my by Charlie....worth a lot more than the arrow...or a dozen of em.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Terry, I am glad I found it!  Did Kenny tell you I found it about 100 or so yards from the big Allis-Chalmer tractor?

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
As I mentioned we had yet to find Darrell the spot I wanted for him.  We got back on the 4wheeler and road up toward the road.  I told Darrell that if we were at home I would try to find some white oak acorns that had lots of deer droppings in them and put my stand up right on top of them.  

We saw a really big white oak that towered above all the rest of the trees around it.  We had to crawl through the thick cedars and briars to get to it.  What a find!!  We found "the spot".  The problem now was that we had to play the wind and find a tree for a stand.  There were few trees that were big enough, and one that was way too big.  I looked at Darrell and he grinned.  

I asked if he thought he could climb the big oak if he got to the first limb.  He thought he could.  We put two rachet straps together and strapped two sections of tree stick together and strapped it to the tree.  Like one of the squirrels we had been watching he was up the tree.  I tied another strap to his stand and threw him the other end.  The stand was locked on and looked perfect.  I told him that if he shot a doe the first time he sat on that spot that I would beat him with a stick.  :knothead:  
Not only was there just alot of deer sign around there was alot of buck sign too.  Here is Darrell in the stand a few days later.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
By this time of the day we were rushed to get cleaned up and on the stand.  It was almost huntin time.  Monday and Tuesday the weather was hot and very windy.  

We got to our stands about 3:00.  My tree was small and was really swaying with the wind.  If I were at home I would not have hunted, but I wasn't so up the tree I went.  I didn't see anythig.

When I met Darrell back at the 4wheeler he had a big smile on his face and I was hoping he had shot a big one.  He had been surronded by deer all afternoon.  He saw 4 doe, 1 button, 1 4pointer.  He had shots on all the doe and passed on them.  I guess he believed I would use that stick on him.  :biglaugh:

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
We just thought it was windy Monday.  The wind  blew all night and was just getting cranked up.  By 9:00 that morning I still had not seen a deer from my stand.  I hadn't seen a deer since Sunday morning.  I was just about to get down and I got a text from Darrell.  All it said was that he had just had to make the shoot or don't shoot on a buck.

I couldn't take me stand down quick enough.  I had to find me one of those acorn spots.

Darrell had passed on a small rack 8 pointer.  He got some pictures of it.  It had a really white set of antlers.  Maybe he will post a pic of it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©