3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kenetreks, Meindls, or Lowas?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kenetreks, Meindls, or Lowas?
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Been looking at all three boots for some time, and they all seem similar, with similar price tags...can anyone chime in with experiences with any of them? Looking for a pair for all around Mountain hunting, with preferably Gore Tex..looking for a pair that doesnt weigh ten pounds at the end of the day also..Thanks in advance!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kenetreks, Meindls, or Lowas?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I've only had Lowas but they are great. Very comfortable, no break-in required.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I just finished my elk hunt for this season.  It is the first time in ten years or more that I came back with all my toenails.  I normally loose at least 2.  I bought keenetreks.  Last year I had Asolo's.  I purchased them because they had a narrow width available.  It worked for me.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I used Meindl this year. No break period it seemed.

My main complaint was: when walking through tall wet grass my feet wiould eventually get wet. seems as if you get that a lot with new boots these days.

Other than that, very, very comfortable and offered good traction and support.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
All quality boots.

Whatever fits you the best.

For me it's Lowa. Until something changes I'm not shopping around.
My elk hunting boots (Tibets) are not lightweight hikers.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Have the Meindl canadas and also a pair of the tall alaskans.   I like the canadas better cause of the lack of rubber band around the lower part of the boot. seemed the rubber shrank and the boot doesn't fit good anymore. My canadas are going on 8 years old and honestly wear them all the time grouse hunting and they held up extremly well, very thick heavily waxed leather. Wore them one winter for powerlineman boots and one trip to B.C. for goat hunt. Still they look darn great shape.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I stopped by a REI store in Ft. Collins last month and put a Lowa Renegade on one foot and a Asolo 520 on the other foot and walked around the store for awhile, left with the Asolo's. They just plain felt better on my feet, I hope they feel that way after I get a chance to put some miles on them. If not REI says they'll take them back no problem, hope i don't have to find out.

Steve

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I have a bizzillion miles inmy Kenetrek Grizzlies.  IO need a rubber bottom as the pressured deer around me will not tollerate human odor, and i have seen deer cross my trail, no worries with those boots.  Also the terrain is rough by me, very steep, poor footing, every plant ahs stickers, prickly ash, hawthorne, black locust, the boots handle this real good.  I enjoy the traction and the ankle support.  I feel they are a fantastic boot.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Love my Meindle's, but your milage may vary. Go try them on if you can,
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
I have a pair of La Sportiva Makalus, one of the standards here for sheep hunting, tough boot, I like mine.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Biggest thing is to go try them on to see how your feet feel in them.  For some, the shape of a certain boot fits better or worse than it would on someone else. Definitely go with the Gore-Tex!  You won't regret the extra money spent when it's wet out and you've got dry feet.  
   Past that, I've been wearing lowa boots for years.  They fit my foot.  I've had both the ranger and tibet and currently wear the tibet for my hunting. I did bighorn sheep work in them (worked great for that!) and use them as my hunting boots. Waterproofing is impeccable.  The only complaint 'd have is they're a bit noisy/clunky for stalking.  Other than that a great boot.  

Boots can make or break a day out in the field.  The more miles I put on the more game I see.  Get good boots.   Just my 2 cents.  
Cheers, Matt

PS- get yourself a good pair of insoles.  They go a long way comfortin' up a stiff mountain boot.  I like the high country synergy footbeds, but have heard good things about superfeet as well.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I have Meindle Perfekt Hunters. Great boot. About 6 years old now. Have taken a serious beating and still hanging right in there.
David M. Conroy

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Meindle Perfekt Hikers for me. Just finished my second trip elk hunting with these boots and remain well satisfied.

I spray them with sealant, use liners and good wool socks.  One morning my brother in law was pouring water out of his second pair of boots and mine continued to be dry.

I have very flat feet and can hike/hunt in these comfortably all day.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Fantastic replies everyone, thanks...Problem is, where I reside , there is no store that carries any of these models so that I can try them on..I do alot of hiking/tracking in rugged country, and am looking for a new boot with great features/support..cant wear them rubber things any longer..  "[dntthnk]"

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I have some Meindls from Cabelas.  I ahd the same issue as you in not having a store that carried any of these brands.  I eventually travelled to a Cabelas store and tried on several different pairs and brands.  In elk camp last year I was the only one not needing some sort of foot remedy.  This year, the rest of the guys bought Meindls and none of us had foot issues.  However, I could not comment on the others you mention as I could not try them before buying them and I just can't bring myself to doing that.

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I used Kennetreks this year for my elk hunt. Best boot (for me) so far. I never thought I would say this but I liked them better then the previous 4 pairs of meindles I use to wear.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »
I have owned the meindle denali and alaska hunters...have destroyed both.

I also own a pair of low GTX's....400 bucks, on my second pair after 5 days.  The second pair leaked after ONE ...1....day!  Throughly disgusted.

I am moving to kenetreks before sheep 2012.  

you're mileage may vary.   I liberally applied whites boot grease this year to my lowas and it showed no improvement.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
ps...something to think about....every 1 pound of boot weight is equivalant to SIX (6) pounds of pack weight.   You can thank your uncle same dollars for that figure  ;) .   Something to think about when ordering boots.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
I have used them all over the years.  I have a pair of non-insulated Kenetreks and 200 gram Thinsulate Lowas right now.  I used the Kenetreks this year due to the hot weather and they performed well.  I would not hesitate to put the Lowas on right now and take off on a hunt.

My Meindls served me well on a sheep hunt and a couple of elk hunts, but the sole separated from the boot two years ago and I started my search for a new boot.

D.P.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
AKDAN, that sucks!

Hey Dave, what model Lowas were they?

This is no cheap venture...they are expensive without researching em first..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©