3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kenetreks, Meindls, or Lowas?  (Read 423 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kenetreks, Meindls, or Lowas?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
For those that don't live by a Cabelas:

A number of online shoe outlets that carry hunting boots, at least Lowas, (zappos, shoebuy) have free shipping both ways. My wife and daughters don't hesitate to buy shoes/boots in multiple sizes and just send back what doesn't fit. Or send them all back at no cost.

I realize this doesn't work for Kennetrek. With Cabelas you are out the shipping costs but they never hesitate on a return.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
lost arra....very true.   My first of the bunch was a pair of the alaska hunters.   one hunt, destroyed, mind you it was a grueling hunt.  Stitching started disentegrating.   The rubber around the boot started coming off.  And if they even thought they were getting wet, you had wet feet.   The stitching and rubber were enough to get them replaced.   A year later, new pair of boots, they fell apart again.   I swapped them again for the denalis.  They were no better.  With no rock guard the rocks ate the boot.   I still have them and do wear them from time to time.  Its not cabelas fault felt guilty returning the denalis and took it as a sheep hunting loss.   They didnt fit the greatest either but that is a hole different story.

The lowas I had to go through some goofy test to 'make sure' they leaked.   Well a week later they replaced them...yup they leaked in minutes is what I was told.   The last pair leaked in the wet grass.   All of this right smack in the middle of a sheep season.   Yup I'm whining...for 400 bucks they shouldnt leak after 1 day of hiking, one stream crossing and a bunch of wet grass.  The rest of the stream crossings were done barefoot (ie numbing water/sharp rocks painful!!!).  Moral, I need to find a better system that is also light weight for crossing creeks.

It was the only perk going with cabelas, the shipping to and fro.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
sorry kids the computer took a dump so if there is a double post you'll know why ???? I have Lowa Baffin pros they are great boots all leather so yes they can get wet . I use what they said to use a nikwax product to keep them dry . It took about 100 mile to break them in but my feet feel like they are in heaven. I have never like gortex in boots .Good luck

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Again, this is some great info ..excellent opinions from out in the field..."keep em comin"..
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
I love my kennetreks but everybody has different feet.  Buy the ones that make your feet say ahhhhhh!!!! If it feels like "you're home" the minute you put them on they are the boots for you.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I liked the way the meindl boots wear but they leak.  Took mine to CO last year, as did my partner and we both had wet feet all week.  Took them right back to cabela's (lifetime warranty).
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Wow, I am suprised the Meindls you guys own are leaking. That is bad, especially for the money that you pay for them. I have a pair of Meindls, I think the model is not longer made, and I love them. I wasnt crazy about them until I put a pair of their cork insoles in them, and now they are awesome. I have done two muley hunts and one elk hunt in them and havent had a single problem. Mine have stayed waterproof. I have heard really good things about all of the boots you asked about, so I think it would just be personal preference.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
I own pair of Lowa Tibets, Baffins, and sheep hunters.  Have also owned a pair of Meindls.

As far as comfort I would rate them the following: 1) Baffin, 2) Tibet, 3) Sheep hunter, 4) Meindl.  As far as break in period is concerned I was not happy with the Meindl's at all.  The Baffin, and Tibet require a little break in period but not too bad.  The sheep hunters are a fairly stiff boot that requires even a little more.  I really like a taller boot and the sheep hunter is taller than the other two lowa boots but also has 200 grams of insulation and is rather heavy.  

I always thought that Lowa was the best of the best for a good hunting boot until this year.  This year I was lucky enough to try out a pair of Schnees Beartooth boots. This boot has become my favorite boot big time.  A few of the things that I really like about this boot are; they have a more supple leather that does not require hardly any break in period, it's really soft but seems very durable.  They are also  the same height has the Lowa sheep hunter.  On paper they weigh about the same as the sheep hunter but they feel far lighter on my feet.  The rubber guard around the boot also wraps further over the toes on the Beartooth, I like this feature, it provides a lot more protection when crawling and hiking.  They can also be re-soled.  

I have not had the opputinity to try out any of the kenetrek boots, but I have friends that speak very highly of them.

Price wise they are all pretty close.  

One other thing to consider is that Lowa made some changes to the design of the Tibet a couple of years ago.  At that time you could find a pair for around 200 bucks.  You still might be able to find a new pair of the older designs somewhere on the web.  It seemd like the common sizes sold out pretty quick, but it might be worth a look.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
For hunting medium challenge terrain I like the Lowa boots. For more challenging stuff I use the Asolo TP 535. Go to Cabelas or REI and try on a bunch everyone has preferences.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Look for the boots on shoebuy.com.  Free shipping both ways.  I usually order a couple pairs and send back the ones that don't fit.  
Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Online Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
check out the Hanwags as well, appear to be bombproof so far. Only have had mine for a year but no blisters, wet feet etc. Just finished moose camp, rain, wet bush, swamp etc, lots of up and down in the area, they worked as well there an is the mtns chasing elk.
According to my gps, I have logged just over 300 miles in mine since late August usually carrying 25-30# pack. No ankle issues. Break in period was late season whitetails last year followed by 2-5 mile hikes 4 times a week thrrough out the winter, spring and summer carrying a pack with 20--60#.  They were comfortable in the store and just keep getting better.

Terry

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Most excellent advice everyone, thanks, will look at the Schnee boot also..
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Bought a pair of Mendel's, hiked all over the Smoky mountains trying to break them in, THEY NEVER BROKE IN! Did permanent damage to my feet by being bullheaded and too cheep to trash them. I kept thinking "I paid a lot for these boots and I am going to make them work". I threw them in a burn pile this year and reduced them to ashes so I wouldn't be tempted to try to "make them work for me" anymore.

Tried Russell boots, bad fit but they have been very nice about replacing them even though I wore them for a year before I complained. They are building the replacement pair now.

Bought a the cheapest pair of hiking boots Walmart had a few weeks ago, hiked 4.5 miles up to the AT and back in them. No foot problems at all which is strange for me because all shoes hurt my feet.

I hiked up to the top of distant peak in the background on the right side of the picture, a steep, rocky climb.

Bottom line, wear what fits and feels good.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowshot:
check out the Hanwags as well, appear to be bombproof so far. Only have had mine for a year but no blisters, wet feet etc. Just finished moose camp, rain, wet bush, swamp etc, lots of up and down in the area, they worked as well there an is the mtns chasing elk.
According to my gps, I have logged just over 300 miles in mine since late August usually carrying 25-30# pack. No ankle issues. Break in period was late season whitetails last year followed by 2-5 mile hikes 4 times a week thrrough out the winter, spring and summer carrying a pack with 20--60#.  They were comfortable in the store and just keep getting better.

Terry
another vote for the hanwags.  ive had mine a couple seasons now and absolutley love them.  google lathrop and sons and go from there...
is it September yet??

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
www.hitthetrail.com/boot_lacing.php

This lacing system will go a long way to comfort even in cheap boots.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©