3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching from compound to traditional???  (Read 453 times)

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from compound to traditional???
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
To All from the Newbie,

I have been a compound shooter/hunter for about 25 years.  I just love the challenge of harvesting an animal with a bow.  However, the last couple of years the appeal of the traditional bug has been haunting me.  So I have decided to make the transition.  My intent is to begin by building a pyramid bow or two and re-learn my shooting method.  I am preparing to launch a red oak board pyramid build this weekend.  I have purchased a book and read/watched several videos relative to the build process.  I am really excited to see what happens.  Unfortunately I really doubt I can achieve the proficiency needed to harvest this season, but I figure this is the place to start.  I look forward to this new phase in my hunting career.  Please feel free to offer advice, suggestions or your experiences makeing this jump.  

Thank you in advance
Inspector12

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from compound to traditional???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Welcome, and just about anybody can answer you bow building questions on the Bowyer's Bench of this website.  Those guys amaze me when I visit there.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky.

My story is similar to yours (although I bought my trad bows). You will once again have fun shooting and hunting. Good luck and do have a great time with it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Welcome to the obscure world of dreams, comraderie and fulfillment. The more you commit..the greater the realization.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Inspector12, whereabouts are you in Missouri?  We might be able to get you some help with those first few bows or suggest a shooting partner or two.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
i got really into trad around x mas time. had a recurve and long bow for years but never took it serious. Now im hooked and loving it alot, way more fun then compounds.  

mmake sure to post up the bow when your done. i really wwant to build one someday but i dont have any of the tools needed
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I'd suggest you buy a couple of vintage (bear, wing, browning etc.) recurves to get you shooting. It may take awhile to get your self bows built. Not trying to discourage you, it would just be good to have a solid shooter so you can start practicing in case it takes you a few tries to build a self bow.

I think you could hunt this year if you got at least one bow tuned with properly spined arrows, practice often, stick to the basics and be realistic about hunting shot distance.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
welcome to the challenging fun side of bowhunting.  :wavey:

trad bows are vastly different from all other bow types, this article should be of help ...

trad archery for bowhunters
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Welcome, and good luck with the bows.
Will be looking forward to some updates.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Welcome to a new voyage! This is a great place to help you develop. Might I suggest you also buy or borrow a bow in the meantime to practice your shooting skills with? You may be taking on too many learning curves and you could get discouraged-just a thought.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
What Rob said!Very well put.
Welcome to the challenging fun side of bowhunting!
Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I was in the same boat at one point.  After shooting wheel bows for 25+ years I needed a change so I switched to traditional.   A few years later I realized that I was a technophile at heart and switched back to wheel bows.  After a several more flip flops I realized that I need to do both to satisfy my appetite for all things archery and be happy.  

Follow your heart and enjoy your new found traditional journey.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
good luck you can do it

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Welcome!    :campfire:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Welcome aboard. I would echo what others have said, buy a good used bow to get you started, preferably a low poundage one so that you can work on form. Your first few attempts, if you are anything like me, will be learning experiences but may not be shooting experiences...at least not for very long.

I would not call them failures, although they did fail to produce a working bow or at least one that lasted long. Each one taught me something about the bowyer's art. I haven't attempted one lately, but may do so in the near future. Right now I am planning on a quiver build, along with building some furniture in my workshop, so no time for a bow at the moment.

I would encourage you to build your bow(s), but don't wait until they are done to begin enjoying traditional archery.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline archerybuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
MI Bowhunter hit it on the head. There is no reason to be restrict yourself to one style or the other. I shoot both recurves and compounds and enjoy the challenges that each offer. You will defintely be expanding your horizons. Above all have a great time.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Inspector12, whereabouts are you in Missouri?  We might be able to get you some help with those first few bows or suggest a shooting partner or two.
I live in Excelsior Springs near KC.  I thought I would give a red oak board build a try while I hunt for Osage or hickory.  Just trying to cut my teeth on this first one.  Another challenge I have is I work crazy hours.  I figure the first bow or three make take me a while to complete.  Cant wait to get started.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I live in Excelsior Springs near KC.  I thought I would give a red oak board build a try while I hunt for Osage or hickory.  Just trying to cut my teeth on this first one.  Another challenge I have is I work crazy hours.  I figure the first bow or three make take me a while to complete.  Cant wait to get started.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by SportHunter:
I'd suggest you buy a couple of vintage (bear, wing, browning etc.) recurves to get you shooting. It may take awhile to get your self bows built. Not trying to discourage you, it would just be good to have a solid shooter so you can start practicing in case it takes you a few tries to build a self bow.

I think you could hunt this year if you got at least one bow tuned with properly spined arrows, practice often, stick to the basics and be realistic about hunting shot distance.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I agree, I have been watching craigslist for a starter bow.  I shoot 72 lbs on my compound so I would think I should be able to handle a 45lb bow. If I cant shoot a factory trad bow correctly it wont help me on a self bow.

Any advice on shooting styles/aiming.  I used to shoot fingers, one over two under.  I look forward to learning a form of instinctive.  I plan to bow masters of the bow DVD to get started.  Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©