3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching from compound to traditional???  (Read 454 times)

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from compound to traditional???
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I plan to start my first red oak pyramid this weekend.  I may share the pictures as a build along.  I gotta say I am nervous about the tillering process.  I just hope to minimize my mistakes and learn from them.  As long as the thing does not blow up in my face I will call that a successful first build.  Thanks to all for the support!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
You do have the bowyer's bible vol1, right?  

If you can make time for it, we do a get together the first weekend in Feburary here in Jefferson City.  Lots of trad guys, vendors, more than a few selfbow guys wandering around, too.  Drop me a PM if you need details.  It's a great chance to talk over ideas and pitfalls, and we usually have some great speakers as well.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
If you're near the St Charles area I can put you in touch with some guys who know how it's done.

They've made some beautiful killer of bows.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
WELCOME!!!...shooting styles are a personal thing...do what comes natural for you as it will keep the thinking part to a minimul...start up close and slowly work your way back...you might even try carbon arrows instead of wood just to take one variable out of the mix to start with...this is an adventure not a race...ive been at it for 48 years now and still try new things from time to time...it keeps it interesting for me.

wish you the best on your adventure!!!

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I just converted a little over a month ago.  I still shoot my compound and just took a deer with it a few days ago.  I've been flip flopping on what I take out but I've been shooting more traditional, its more fun.

Several people here told me to sell my compound bow but I don't want to, I do like it as it is a precision machine that I actually enjoy shooting... but not nearly as much as my recurve.

I would suggest getting a Samick Sage as a first bow.  That's what I shoot, it was 129$ and will get you used to shooting traditional.  How do you know how you want to build a bow if you've never shot before?  Then yo can keep the Samick as a backup, it breaks down nice and small and fits in a case. 3Rivers archery supply has a good price on a package and the cartel case is decent for the money.  And they're a sponsor here....
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
One thing, Inspector.  Keep in mind that shooting a traditional bow and building a traditional bow have almost nothing to do with each other.  Don't get frustrated over the building side of things and decide to give up on traditional.  Wanting to build a bow is a noble effort, but it's not easy and you won't build a 200+ FPS shooting machine on your first, second or tenth try.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
If you're near the St Charles area I can put you in touch with some guys who know how it's done.

They've made some beautiful killer of bows.

God bless,Mudd

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Unfortunately I am on the other side of the state.  Any links or pics you can share is appreciated.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by gonzoso:
I just converted a little over a month ago.  I still shoot my compound and just took a deer with it a few days ago.  I've been flip flopping on what I take out but I've been shooting more traditional, its more fun.

Several people here told me to sell my compound bow but I don't want to, I do like it as it is a precision machine that I actually enjoy shooting... but not nearly as much as my recurve.

I would suggest getting a Samick Sage as a first bow.  That's what I shoot, it was 129$ and will get you used to shooting traditional.  How do you know how you want to build a bow if you've never shot before?  Then yo can keep the Samick as a backup, it breaks down nice and small and fits in a case. 3Rivers archery supply has a good price on a package and the cartel case is decent for the money.  And they're a sponsor here....

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I agree regarding your compound.  I will have to hunt with it the rest of the season.  Cant argue with the precision.  Funny you mentioned the Sage, I have been looking at that very bow to get started with.  I will probably have to wait for Christmas as it has been an expensive fall deer season so far!!

Thanks for the feedback

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
One thing, Inspector.  Keep in mind that shooting a traditional bow and building a traditional bow have almost nothing to do with each other.  Don't get frustrated over the building side of things and decide to give up on traditional.  Wanting to build a bow is a noble effort, but it's not easy and you won't build a 200+ FPS shooting machine on your first, second or tenth try.

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Oh I will, my expectations are pretty low for this first build.  I look at this as a way to keep the fire burning through the winters.  I figure it will take much practice.  To me this is not so much about performance as connecting with the past.  Rather skill and self reliance in terms of hunting.  I have  been a bow hunter for 25 years, for me this is a logical progression.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Milhouse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm right there with some of you.  I gave up compounds a few years back, got frustrated with traditional, went back to compounds, and now have been bitten by the trade bug again.  I don"t know when if ever I will go trad only, but I definitely can't wait to get back into it.  If it weren't Columbus day, I'd have been shooting a new-to-me Whisperstik recurve tonight.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Ok guys, here we go.  I started the build today.  I have decided to name this bow "A Wing and a Prayer".  I have the bow rough in started.  Just finished the glue up using Tight bond II, can’t wait for it to dry. The specs are as follows:
Red Oak 3”x 1”x8’, Lowes
2 1/2"W x 70"L
Handle walnut, reclaimed hardwood
4" with 2 1/2" fades
Goal 40 to 50 lb draw @ 28"
See the build at photo bucket
 http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Inspector12_MO/Wing%20and%20a%20Prayer/

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Ok guys, here we go.  I started the build today.  I have decided to name this bow "A Wing and a Prayer".  I have the bow rough in started.  Just finished the glue up using Tight bond II, can’t wait for it to dry. The specs are as follows:
Red Oak 3”x 1”x8’, Lowes
2 1/2"W x 70"L
4" with 2 1/2" fades
 http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Inspector12_MO/Wing%20and%20a%20Prayer/

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Red Oak 3”x 1”x8’, Lowes
2 1/2"W x 70"L
4" with 2 1/2" fades

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Inspector, like Jeff mentionedlots of help here in MOif you let us know what part your from, Got some osage just sitting here waiting to be split.I'm in Lee's Summit,mo
John

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by kctreeman:
Inspector, like Jeff mentionedlots of help here in MOif you let us know what part your from, Got some osage just sitting here waiting to be split.I'm in Lee's Summit,mo
John

Offline Inspector12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Treeman,

I reside in Exclesior Springs.  I am looking to forward to doing a Osage bow just not ready for the challenge as of yet.  I figure cutting my teeth on a board build or two will better prepare me for a stiffer challenge.  Take a look at my photo bucket pics.  You will see what I mean.

Thanks
Chuck

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
It's about time you came around, you'll never regret it.Get ready for an addiction that wil not quit.  :clapper:
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©