3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 piece longbow-which system works best for you?  (Read 547 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
2 piece longbow-which system works best for you?
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I have been thinning the bow rack down to just some bows I really like and or shoot well. One thing I have never had is a 2 pc.longbow.[And I want one....lol!] Of the current offering out there, which connection system do folks like the best. I'm talking tuff, easy to use, silent at the shot and all around just a good system. I'm going to think on getting one in the near future so any input will be welcomed.  I also like your basic "D" shaped bows with little or slight reflex. I just not into Shrews or Kanati style bows....nice but just not for me! So what do you folks like???    thanks!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece longbow-which system works best for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I like the Lock it sock-it system, there is a lot of bowyers using them now including Big Jim, and Black Widow just to name a couple
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Ron

I have 3 different style 2 piece longbows and I find the Black Widow/ Big Jim lockit/sockit style has to be the easiset one and so far has not given me any problems. Next up would be the bow bolt but I would only recomend it if the riser is phenolic. The Sleeve style is also easy but I had Hill bow that the grip leather slip right off. Not a big deal to repair but could be an issue if you hunt in the wet. As far as your preference of D bows. My Toelke D is a two piece with the bow bolt. I love them D bows too.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Ron,

I Like them all  :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I have a few bow bolt bows and love them, risers are either the laminated dymonwood types or have a strip of phenolic through it.  Have had no problems with them.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
IMHO the locket socket is by far the least noticible and the strongest and most fool proof.

God bless you all, steve

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I think you might want to look at Great Northerns jack-knife hinge. Very easy, reliable, D shaped bows.

I'm shooting Black Widows locket it socket, but I think the hinge is easier to use by just a little. The only possible negative is some people don't like the looks of the "bump" on the riser.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
IMHO the locket socket is by far the least noticible and the strongest and most fool proof.

God bless you all, steve
X2.  jack knife is ok if you like the hinge between your fingers.  Bow bolt is ok, but I would want phenolic in the riser and not over 55#.  I don't trust it long term over that weight.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I really like the Talon takedown system that Mike treadway came up with . Tomahawk bows uses this system and BW used it for several years . I like it the best because it put some mass weight in the grip which made it feel very shock free and solid on the shot . It also worked great as Ive never had a problem with it .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Hello Ron!    :readit:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I had a Toelke Whip with the bow bolt. It was great.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
The bow-bolt seems good but I not a big fan of the phenolic that's needed in the riser....adds a bit of weight. One of the reasons I like longbows is the light feel in the hand.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I think I have had all the 2 piece TD style bows available over the years except the Talon TD type.

I like the locket/socket and also am very happy with the steel sleeve design!These are very strong,reliable,built to last.Easy to assemble and require no tools.They need to be built right ofcourse for best results.

My last 2 have been steel sleeves built by Ken Rohloff of Whippenstick.The fit is excellant.The tolerances are tight and limbs perfectly alligned.The grip is also built up by Ken to make it a very nicely contoured locator style grip.The steel sleeve does add some mass weight which I like for a more solid feel in the hand.I think it reduces handshock as well and makes the bow a tad quieter.He used the small sleeve.

The locket socket is superb.I have had a few Big Jims and Widows with it.

The Great Northern Jacknife is excellant!Its paticualarly nice on thier longbows as it folds together into a small unit.On the recurve folded together its a tad larger.It does have the litte bump as mentioned above in the center of the grip on the back of the bow.it does not bother me and fits right between the fingers and its like a locator for consistant grip postioning every time.Its been proven over the years to be very reliable.

The Thunderhorn  2 PC TD is amazing and beautiful when assemmbled.Its pricey though and does require 2 small allen bolts to secure.

The bow bolt is very good and I have one currantly.The riser is solid phenolic on that one.I like the all phenolic riser for the bow bolt.I think its as strong as you can get with that design.

The connexion hinge works well.The bow does flop around when unstrung.The newer ones being built using the appropriate screw material and size are better than some that were built years back using the wrong screws that failed.Liberty longbows,Mohawk and Centaur install this system perfectly.

I am not sure i would be fully confident in a TD system using screws drilled into a riser with heavier bows.They usually are not recommended for bows over a certain poundage.

Lots of good choices.I like the steel sleeve and locket/socket best personally.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I like the older Jack Harrison metal sleeve takedown sytem, his new carbon takedown system and the Black Widow Lockit Socket. I see now that A&H is also making a two piece with the takedown system like Jack Harrison's carbon system and the Black Widow Lockit Socket.

I hunt with a 62" Jack Harrison takedown. I was able to pack it in on a back country elk hunt in my Arrowmaster Quiver. That was a big help when packing in and packing out. It leaves both hands free.

The green camo fleece in my quiver is my 62" takedown. If you do any kind of remote hunting it is a nice feature to have, along with the Arrowmaster Quiver.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I have been very happy with these three systems
1. Sleeve take down as on my Howard Hill bows .
2. Connexion hinge as on my numerous Liberty Bows . Allens fit and finish on these is the best I have seen .
3. Carbon sleeve as I have on my Widows and Sky Longbows . Easy maintenence .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
As for the metal sleeve....big or small?

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Wife told me I could buy a new longbow next year after I told her how absolutly dangerous it was negotiating cliffs while trying to hike with a longbow in one hand and a single treking pole in the other during my sheep hunt.  

I love D style longbow and am leaning toward either a Bama or a Wes Wallace.  I like a slight dish/ mild locator grip and really cannot bring myself to shoot a hinge bow or any takedown system requiring tools to assemble.  I like the innovation of the carbon sleeve but feel a little apprehensive about its longterm durability.  Hard to argue with the ruggedness of the brass/stainless takedown system which has seen decades of testing under all conditions.

All that said however, Ben may have just thrown a wrench into it all.  I had no idea Sky made a takedown longbow.  May have to do some more research!
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I have been looking at the Bama's also!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
My BamaBows carbon sleeve is great.

"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I guessing ,but with that slip type system there would be almost no weight gain in the bow....right?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©