3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 piece longbow-which system works best for you?  (Read 548 times)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece longbow-which system works best for you?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I like my tomahawk takedowns I'll sell ya one if ya want. lol
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
All good reviews so far....any negative thoughts on any given system?????
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Ron here is the Jack Harrison El Lobo I mentioned with the metal sleeve. It is stainless and brass. It feels perfect in my hand and you would never know it was a two piece. This is the one I had in my quiver. It is not only nice if you are packing in and out but also dragging out a deer.

The locket socket and Jack Harrison carbon sleeves are also nice and you would never know they were takedowns either.  

Here is the carbon sleeve of a Jack Harrison HSS. You can also contact Jack and he can retrofit a bow you have from a one piece to a two piece takedown with a carbon sleeve.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I have had good success with the connexion hinge on several bows.  I got one of the first - if not the first- one that Allen Boice used on an Elite he built for me a number of years ago.  I have also installed a couple of them myself on HH bow blanks, the most recent a Redman that I did a couple of months ago that turned out to be just an outstanding bow.  I like the looks of the lockit socket system, but the connexion hinge is a little better if you want to "do-it-yourself".
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
"AS for the metal sleeve big or small?"

Ron I like the small sleeve personally.I like a smaller grip though.

Also with the small sleeve you can build it up with bondo or whatever for a more contoured shape and still not have a bulky grip after adding the material to shape the grip with.If you like a big grip the large may be preffered

The Big Jim locket socket does not weigh much more than the one piece bow.Possibly a bit more as it is built up with fiberglass and resins for strength and reinforcement to except the male end of the bow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Gil ,thanks for the photos,,,,,,really nice. Steelhead I also have small hands and was think small size. Never thought about building it up....good idea!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I have both sleeve sizes on Hills and prefer the larger size but either is a top notch strong system
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Ron Wes wallace and Fox both can build the grips up on thier 2 piece steel sleeve into a locator style grip.Wallace has the Royal Longbow and Fox has the Breed recurve as well as the longbow.

I had the 62" breed recurve with sleeve and locator grip.Very nice.

My Whippenstick Inferno recurve is a steel sleeve and the grip is customized by Mr. Rohloff into a very shapely grip thats sweet.He also built me a Whippenstick longbow the same way.He does excellant work with the steel sleeve and custom grip.

I really love the steel sleeve with a shapely grip.Seems bombproof.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I like the Black Widow locket-socket.  No hassle, comes completely apart, easy to take-apart and assemble, in seconds.  If it feels a bit loose, I put wax on it and it is tight as if it were brand new.  It's so nice overall that I find myself preferring it a lot over my 3-piece takedown bow, even though I really like 3-pieces, too.

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Good info thanks to all who have replied so far!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I like the bow bolt and bigJim's sleeve both work great and are rock solid. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
BigJim's here on my bow
X2 rock solid

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Im with DannyBows, my Bama Hunter's carbon sleeve is solid, quiet, and invisible when together.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
When choosing a two piece system (two piece is what i prefer over any option) I could have chosen any type. I decided to use the toughest and most descrete system available. All my personal bows are 80+ lbs and they all get the carbon fiber sleave system. I have not had a problem with one yet and have built over 250 of them. They must be popular too since of the last 40 bows that I have built, at least 35 have been 2 piece.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I am sure Big Jim's system is a great one, but I have not had the opportunity to try it yet. I do have 6 or 7 bows with the BowBolts and have had zero problems with that system. The additional mass of the phenolic is not a lot, and the feel of the BowBolt connection has remained rock solid. One thing about the BowBolt is the ability to create a variety of grip shapes easily -- something that does not seem to be as simple with other systems. I do expect that Big Jim's sleeve system is very strong and may be the best for those who can draw heavier bows than I can. Around 75 pounds is the maximum for me before my shoulder starts screaming, and the BowBolt is great at that weight. Patrick Kelly has a Shrew Safari with a BowBolt that tops out near 80 pounds. Two piece bows are wonderful. They pack well for travel and feel like one piece bows when assembled. No wonder Big Jim and the Shrew guys sell such a high percentage of them! I don't know the percentage of Lee Hoots bows that are two piece, but I expect it is significant.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
My Big Jim Thunderchild 2pc .... Locket/Socket

Now you see it .....

Now you don't....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/aug_23_2010_015.jpg   (image too wide!)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
Really impressed with my Big jim T-Child,solid as all get out,you don't even know the bows a 2 piece.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
they all work, but each slightly differently and that's where only your subjective opinion will matter.  if you don't get to try them all, it'll be a gamble of sorts as to what will work best for you, not me or anyone else.

i've tried most all t/d systems and hands down i vastly prefer the connexion hinge - it's a positive lock system under all conditions, and it evenly divides the bow in half (this can be an important feature for travel packing, particularly with longer bows).  

i've had troubles with metal sleeve type t/d's sticking due to dirt or vacuum bond, but not so with the glass sleeve t/d's.  however, the bow is not divided in half and one section is longer by far than the other.  all sleeve systems need to be careful about dirt/dust.  if i hadda get a sleeve, it would be glass and never metal.

the bow bolt works well, but i've had instances of it sticking and requiring some fiddling to get to both lock and unlock.  it's susceptible to dirt in the threads.  it also won't divide a bow into equal halves.

the few latch systems i tried were just unwieldy and cumbersome, but they did work, with almost equal bow halves.

if at all, try before you buy.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I think I'm leaning towards a Mohawk or Northern Mist with the above mentioned connection hinge. Just a simple "D" shaped bow but 2 piece! Something around 66"........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©