3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow silence  (Read 146 times)

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow silence
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Okay Im still a newbie when it comes to trad but from what little I have noticed is how quiet longbows are compared to recurves.So what I would like to know is a 3pc long bow as quiet as a 1pc?The reason I ask this I like the grip on a recurve style riser and and the weight of it.I think a 3pc might be to my likeing.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow silence
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
3 piece to one piece doesn't make much difference.  You can pick up a bit of creak if the limb mountings aren't exactly right, but that's all.

The big sound advantage of a longbow is in the thicker limb that oscillates less and the limbs don't contact the string nearly as much.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I have a Firefly 3pc T/d longbow hat is easily the quietest bow i have ever shot.   With a SBD string and wool puff silencers, its amazing.    I also had a Horne combo hunter before and it was very quiet with heavy arrows.   I think its the lack of string slap that really makes the difference.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I have 1 piece, 2 piece and 3 piece longbows. They are all very quiet.

You can also get a recurve to be very quiet too. Usually by brace height, bow hush and cat whiskers.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
That's because if you look at a Recurve Limb you will see the string sitting on part of the limb. So when you draw and release the string is going to hit the string making a noise to some extent. Look at a Longbow no part of the string rests on the limb correct? 1 piece,2 piece or 3 piece longbow shouldn't matter as far as noise. Provided it's set up properly and you are shooting the correct arrows.I have 3 Longbows. 1 is a 2 piece.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I notice no difference between my 3 piece longbows or my 1 piece longbows.  Recurves on the other hand make a ton of noise.  Until a bow can reach the speed of sound the deer will always hear it first.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses thats what I was hoping to hear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©