3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Always happens when least expected  (Read 547 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Always happens when least expected
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Went out last night because it was just so nice out and had really no intention of shooting anything because I already got one Sunday and had an early morning appointment with a client.  As I often do on a night like this in early October I had just decided to get down with a little light left to see my way as I had not seen any deer yet.  I just felt rather than spooking a bunch I would get out before I was trapped in my tree.  As I was getting my gear ready I hear the obvious crunch, crunch coming my way.  I am hunting between a bean field and a large fallow/CRP field so it is now too dark too see well in the 50 yards of heavy stuff between the fields but very light if I turn around.  

Using my binocs I watch a couple does approach and realize I am stuck for a bit and just relax to let them feed by.  About the time they are right under me I hear more coming and start to think this may take a while?  

There is a pretty good opening that remains light right in front of my stand and I have three deer feeding right there with more coming when I hear the very exciting noise of antlers clicking together from the approaching deer.  At this point I am still not thinking a shot will happen so I am glassing into the darker woods to see what I can see.  Soon enough one small six I recognize from my set cams steps out and gets into the doe pack.  he then goes back and wrassles with what other buck that is back there a couple times so I am thinking he is the bigger of the two and just trying to retain dominance as a show for the ladys.  About this time the other buck gets close enough for me to see him with the binos on one of the return trips by the 6.  Turns out the following buck is much larger and I start to think just maybe I would shoot this one.  Still believing it is just to dark to take a shot unless he gets right in front of me in the little opening I continue to watch though the binos pretty relaxed and just enjoy the show of two bucks tickling their antlers together.  About then, wouldn't you know, the bigger one walks right in and stands broadside at 10 yards.  I watch for a moment knowing I can see him certainly well enough to shoot but also knowing I cannot track my arrow so I ponder a moment???  Deciding I will regret it later if this is the one opportunity this fall at a shooter I draw and let her fly.  As suspected I could not see the impact but the sound of a center mass hit at 10 yards is hard to miss.  The buck charges straight away into the beans and The other deer, after the initial chaos, continue to do there thing.  I am guessing they were wondering what got into him?

Well now I don't care if I dusturb them for obvious reasons and I climb down to see the damage.  Sure enough, blood was evident right away but no arrow?  This means no bottom hole and I get a little worried.  The track was slow at first but once he filled up and was charging through the beans it became pretty obvious even with my little mag light and head lamp.  After I was in the bean field about 40 yards I could smell a dead deer but still loosing and finding the blood with the little light I had was a slow go.  He would gush at every bound but in the middle of a bean field there is no trail and everything looks the same all around.  Not to mention even a big deer gets pretty small laying in a dried out brown bean field that is about 3' high.  Finally by tracking the smell and finding good blood at every bound along the way there he is.  Photos kind of suck because I as alone and had a lot of work to get done so I apologize for that but he turned out a little better than I had originally thought and I am pleased.  

The bow is a Rocky Mountain recurve I just bought off the big auction site a couple weeks ago and I used a wide Zwickey 4 blade to get the job done.  Deer weighed 175lbs after hanging all night and I cut everything off I felt I could get away with to reduce drag weight so he is one of my better deer.  Spread 17" if that matters and I am guessing 2 1/2 years old.  

Oh the joys of living 2 months every fall with little or no sleep.  

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Always happens when least expected
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Wow, what a beauty. Nice job
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Um, you want to send some of those deer across the lake to me?  Nice shootin'.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
nice deer and great story

Congrats

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Nice one ,but you got blood on your pack.   :thumbsup:  He looks big.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Congrats on the buck.    :thumbsup:  Real nice report.    :campfire:   Thanks for posting some photos.    :D
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
bobby
thats a great mi buck
did you use a knife of your own making
kevin

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Very nice!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Very nice!!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Nice one,Congrat's.  :archer:

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
No Kevin - I give all my knives away and never have one when the season starts.  Everytime I start a new one I think it is for me but end up giving it to someone.  Maybe next year for my "Biggest Doe" challenge I will give a knife away.  That way I will have it all season and hopefully test drive it for the winner!

Bob

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Very nice!! That wolf is eyeing it pretty hard,lol.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Great job and great story! I'd take him anytime.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Aussie and I always share the heart when I get one so he is pretty attentive with a dead deer around.  I just wish he could track them as good as he looks.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Congrats Bobby, Nice buck,I still like your dog,he is cool.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Way to go Bobby!  He's a beaut!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Way to go sir!  Nice deer!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Alright, Congrats .

God bless you, Steve

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter