3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bucks with Traditionals  (Read 806 times)

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bucks with Traditionals
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
They probably also believe that a light, fast, arrow is the best type arrow to use. And will be proficient at distances to 100 yards. (I've actually heard this statement made by a c-pound shop owner!)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
If you have to explain,they wouldn't understand.
Over the years I've been in to many arguments and discussions with attitudes like this.My friend you have heightened your hunting experiences to a level they probably will never understand.all the best to you.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I agree that is a stupid statement by your buds!! Just have them buy a few DVDs of traditional bow hunts for deer. Tons of monsters shot by Trad gear. Del Austins buck which was the #1 non-typical for over 40 years was taken with a recurve and what do these guys think they used to kill deer before 1969, there were no compounds. Have them read this thread so they know what the rest of us think of their shear stupidity! Shawn
They aren`t really buddies,,just aquaintances.. At the other outdoor range I go to,there`s a whole bunch of trad guys,who take deer all the time.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by bawana bowman:
They probably also believe that a light, fast, arrow is the best type arrow to use. And will be proficient at distances to 100 yards. (I've actually heard this statement made by a c-pound shop owner!)
Yeah,,I have a shop owner who feels that a light arrow is best when he hunts from a tree stand. He says the speed is what ya want.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
come and sit in my trophy room!
Make a life, not a living

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
As for pictures

55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Shot this guy in 1990....was a state record for NH at the time....still the best with trad equipment.

The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
For four years me and my son had a challenge. We had doe tags and one of the does in the area was a giant.  when people would so much as slow down on the gravel road a half mile away, I have seen her simply sink into the brush and disappear.  Neither one of us ever got a shot at her, no one else did either.  Maybe a 6 year old buck is smart, but a giant grandma doe is a genius. Declaring a deer to be tough or smart by what they carry on their heads, says more about the hunter than it says about the deer.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
some people just don't get it......  i was looking at some trad bows in my local shop and a guy asked me "what are you going to do with that?" i said i hunt with'em. he had the dumbest look on his face and then he said "you can kill a deer with one?" i just laughed and said you can kill anything on earth with one.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by knobbymag:
Some quotes from my range I've heard toward myself and others shooting..."How does your Wifes bow shoot" If a man is shooting a recurve under 70lbs draw. Which I'll add most of em ain't getting to full draw
My brother-in-law uses a 70# compound and is a fairly big guy, in decent shape.  While practicing in camp before last week's opener, I let him shoot my recurve (47# @ 28 inches).  I won't mention the words he used when he tried to pull it back but let's just say they were very 'colorful'; it was quite funny.  "I don't know how you do that without the let off," he said.  Needless to say, this also led to a "How do you aim that thing?" conversation (I shoot instinctive so no sights on the bow).  I don't see him ever trying traditional archery but he at least had an open mind about it, I just wish more people were of a similar mindset.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by KodiakMag:
As for pictures

That is an impressive deer

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Shot this guy in 1990....was a state record for NH at the time....still the best with trad equipment.

Wow,very nice.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by rolltidehunter:

Good stuff!

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Do mule deer count!  Maybe 20-30 bucks.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
This is my best buck ever. I shot him in my second year of switching to traditional only bowhunting. In general, I have been much more succesful since switching to traditional equipment simply because I enjoy it more and hunt harder and more often.

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Where's KentuckyTJ?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
First buck I ever killed was with a 47# recurve.   Never killed one when I hunted with compounds.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:
They say a buck is way too wary. They say it`s hard enough to hit a buck on high alert with a compound,,forget about a Trad bow.
Evidently they haven't been busted by a doe. IMO, doe's are the ones who are more likely to bust you--its genetic.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by kbetts:
Where's KentuckyTJ?
Buck from TJ
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©