3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best backpack and boots  (Read 415 times)

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Best backpack and boots
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I sm in the early stages of planning a trip to montana next year for primary mule deer and secondary antelope.

I will be staying in a house and going out during the days to hunt. I need a backpack for a days supply: spotting scope food, water, whatever else i need. What is a good day pack

The terrein is rough alot of hiking what are some good comfortable boots for hiking and stalking muledeer.

Thanks

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best backpack and boots
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
anything from badlands is on my list for packs, lots to choose from and a n unbeatable warranty, you can buy one at a garage sale and put a knife in it and the will fix it or send you a new one. Can't beat  em for the money, And I love my Irish setter elk tackers. I have owned four pair and they are the toughest boots I have ever owned backed by another great warranty. They have other good styles But I have a ultra narrow boot and very few boot makers make my width.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I personally prefer Bison backpacks . Angelo is the man ! Great product and great service . My Lemhi and Lost River are my "go to" packs .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I love my Eberlestock X2 pack as my primary daypack that can double as a meat hauler, if successful.
I also love my Danner Pronghorn boots, once a broke them in to my feet and got the right sock combination. Boots are very foot specific, though, and I would try on as many pairs as possible and wear them around the store under a load and up and down ramps.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Where I live backpack hunting is not the norm, but I have had a lot of packs and if I were going out west I would look at a Mystery Ranch crew cab. I have a Mystery Ranch Saddle Peak now, and it's by far the nicest and most comfortable pack I've ever used.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
A day pack is pretty easy.  I wouldn't spend a whole lotta money on one.  I have one from Gander MOuntain that cost $40 that does all I need.

Boots are too personal but stick with the big names and you won't go wrong.  Try them out before you buy them.  I like Lowa but that really doesn't mean you will.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Elkchaser:
I love my Eberlestock X2 pack as my primary daypack that can double as a meat hauler, if successful.
I also love my Danner Pronghorn boots, once a broke them in to my feet and got the right sock combination. Boots are very foot specific, though, and I would try on as many pairs as possible and wear them around the store under a load and up and down ramps.
X2 on this combination.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Try on every pack and boot style you can and go with what feels best.  If there is anything that bothers you at all while you are shopping, it will bother you even more when you are hunting especially in rough country.  Don't trust opinions, trust your instincts and experience.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Keep an eye on the classifieds, I got a Badlands Diablo like new for less than $90. I works and carries great! Should carry all you need!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
X2 on the X2
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Whip at Prairie Designs will fix you up on the backpack. Personally Asolo TP535 is my fav boot; boots are a very personal preference thing.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
X3 on the X2. Meindels for me.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Elkchaser:
I will second both of these suggestions.  Love my Eberlestock and Pronghorns.  Maybe you should take this as a trend.  Two western hunters that both use the same gear!  I am on my second set of Pronghorns.  They are by large the best boots I have used for LOTS of hiking.  They are extremely light weight and feel like sneakers on your feet.  The X2 pack is by far the best pack I have ever used.  You can load it down with TONS of gear or have it tightened down with just a day packs load.  I am on yr 3 with my x2 and yr 5 on my current pronghorns.  

Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
The X2 pack is amazing.  Loaded with a full days supplies, including a 2L water hydration bladder, and it NEVER once felt heavy, or cumbersome.  It also allowed me to take out an 80lb. elk quarter/with loins for 2 miles, and although it wasn't made especially for that, it did the job and saved my group an extra trip.  I was the only one with an X2 and all the other guys now want one.
I don't have a ton of experience with the different brands of boots, but FWIW on our Colo. Elk hunt I wore the Vasque Taku's.  They're very lightweight with great stability, my feet never got wet (gore-tex), and coupled with the green superfeet inserts, I never got a blister from out of the box to a week of hard mountain hunting.  Hope this helps.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by bm22:
I will be staying in a house and going out during the days to hunt. I need a backpack for a days supply: spotting scope food, water, whatever else i need...
The x2 is a great pack but its way overkill for the above if you are somewhat aware of a budget. At about 200 bucks with tax they are not cheap. Mine really shone when heavily loaded. But even though the x2 has other nice features, I did not feel those were necessarily superior to others found on packs that cost less.
The x2's aluminum frame and its ability to haul heavy out of the back country is what makes it worth the cost.
For my own taste, the x2 is a little wide and the frame to strap connection is too noisy. Not so loud as to alarm game but its like a squeek in a car dash- after awhile you are ready to strangle someone! I prefer a narrow pack as in my e3xperience they do not hang up on brush as much by quite a margin as a wider pack does.
Anyway, I would suggest a hypervent by badlands (or similar) That is a narrow pack and is nice to sneak around with.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm a Kifaru nut, the spike camp from them would work great and it carries meat well with the cargo chair.  I have several packs from them and they cant be beat!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I will put another vote for the X2. It is a bit overkill as mentioned, but if your a couple miles in and want to pack your animal out, it can't be beat. I love mine for a day pack! It's the best of all worlds for me.

I use meindle's for boots, but you will want to try different boots if you can, your foot may fit one better than the other.

The hunting you are doing is what I primarily do here in UT for muleys. It is a great set up for me. YMMV
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
IMHO, for the money you can't go wrong with Rocky Mountain Backpack, I personally like the "COYOTE."
Boots on the other hand is more personal. I like the Bean Boot (unlined) and Kenetrek pack boots for when it's cold...
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
More than 5 days out, kifaru longhunter guide with cargo chair. Totally adjustable to the individual. I used Danner pronghorns this year and they did well for me.
My friend had a badlands break about 7-8miles back in. He had to tie his waist belt in a knot. I am sure they will fix it or replace it but when you only go once a year and your that far in. Disappointing to carry 60lbs of gear in steep country.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
For boots, I and my son both wore Asolo oots elk hunting this fall. We backpacked and hiked many many miles. Not a single hot spot or blister. Very comfortable. I got them through SierraTradingPost. They run online sales and clearances often. These are more a hiking style oot rather than a high top boot, but after wearing them, I'm sold on them.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©