3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurves are old school  (Read 698 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurves are old school
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I was out hunting this morning and ran across a hunter from Georgia. We wound up setting up our stands not too far from each other. When I talked with him later he said, "I like how your hunting. It's old school." I didn't see any deer today, but the comment brought a smile to my face. I didn't realize I was old school, but I'll take it!

:)

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurves are old school
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
This year while in the elk woods i met a wheelie hunter and he called us Hardcore with our sticks.
Feels good when they say stuff like that.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Ha ha! that's good.

I had a similar experience a while back. I was at a 3D shoot and a young compound shooter noticed I was shooting a longbow. He said that his Dad used a old fashioned bow like that "back in the day".

While talking to him I found out that I knew his father and his father and I had hunted a few times as teens together with our trusty recurves "back in the day"!

I thought it was amusing. You're old school and I'm old fashioned, I guess, from back in the day!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Most of the compound hunters I know deeply respect and admire trad hunters. That is until they make elitist comments. Then they think of us as snobs. It is something to avoid.
I am the only trad hunter in my elk camp. The guys love shooting my bow and I am sure some of them will eventually go trad.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
When I was in Colorado in Sept, elk hunting a young lady game warden stopped in to visit and check us out at camp.....she was fascinated by our long bows, most likely thought look at these old fools.....except Charlie is only 32...lol!!! I'm the old fool....   :biglaugh:  I never thought I would be old school, but I guess I would think now that's a compliment!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
The Appalachian trail runs through my hunting area, so I often meet people on the trail. I have had comments like, "wow, that is a nice long bow. Now that's hunting for real!"
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I had someone call me hardcore for hunting with a recurve.  But most of my friends who know me call me a camper!  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Ron, she was lookig for a nice way to check our licenses. I think she was eying me up too lol.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Like the connect to Old school myself. Know recurves have been around a good while. Like to know which came first Rcv or LB? You recurve boys got some slick bows to pick from.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline devonchristensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I was at the local archery range a few weeks ago and a couple compound shooters were having difficultly dialing in the sights on a new bow a third guy was shooting for the first time.  One of them looked up and saw my recurve and jokingly said "This guy is probably thinking to himself 'Only p----'s need sights!'"

I told them 'No', and that I was well aware they could probably get better groups at 40yrds than I could at 15.  They seemed to respect the challenge of shooting and hunting with traditional archery equipment.

I've had other folks call me hard core.  Haven't gotten the Old School comment yet, though.
Hebrews 11:1
--------
Damon Howatt Hunter #55
Pearson Colt 7070 #55
Bear Kodiak Hunter #45
PSE Sequoia #45
Pearson Colt 707 #35
--------
US Air Force
--------

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
He was a really nice guy. I just took the compliment and smiled. I wished him good luck and I hope he gets as many deer as he can use this fall! There was no pretense on either of our parts and that's how I like it. A good woodsman is a good woodsman in my book. Just two hunters talking and wishing each other well. We all came from the same history at some point. It was a good way to end a SLOW morning....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Sixby,

I agree with your statement. I have never understood why people get after someone for using the legal weapon of their choice. We are all different and, as such, have different tastes. I do get annoyed when people are breaking the law, but that is an entirely different point.

I thought that was a very unique compliment on his part!  :thumbsup:  

Shoot straight ladies and gents!

-Charlie

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Like to know which came first Rcv or LB?  
It is my understanding that straight sticks came first. Whether or not these were "Long" bows or not might be another discussion all together. The extra energy stored in the curved limbs was not discovered until later. Later is a relative term though since, at least as I understand it, Scythian bows have been traced back to 8th century BC and used a recurve limb.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I've had some similar comments in the field. My reply is usually something to the effect "If I wanted to shoot game at 50+ yards I'd use a gun"
To me it's all about the challenge of getting within 20 yards of my intended quarry, that takes some skill & some luck. That's why I gave up gun hunting years ago and don't use a compound.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Mike,

He wasn't insulting me. Even if he was, I wouldn't say something derogatory about his compound bow. That's his choice and it is ok.

He said, "I like how your hunting, it's old school." It was a compliment. Just a very unique one and one I like. It's kind of like the bicycle I ride. It has fenders, one speed, coaster brakes and whitewall tires! I guess both my bow AND my bicycle are throw backs to days gone past. Maybe I need to find a way to use them both at once.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
Mike,

He wasn't insulting me. Even if he was, I wouldn't say something derogatory about his compound bow. That's his choice and it is ok.

He said, "I like how your hunting, it's old school." It was a compliment. Just a very unique one and one I like. It's kind of like the bicycle I ride. It has fenders, one speed, coaster brakes and whitewall tires! I guess both my bow AND my bicycle are throw backs to days gone past. Maybe I need to find a way to use them both at once.
I like that analogy between a trad bow and a one speed bike.  They both share "simplicity"; the real advantage of both to me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I've been listening to these comments from c shooters since the things were first being made. I've never shot one and don't have anything against someone that chooses to use one.

I always seem to hear you've got more patience than I do, I'd never want to put in the time and practice it takes to shoot one of those. Thank God they invented c-pounds.
They make me feel special, which I think I am!
But..... when they see the cane arrow with stone point..... suddenly they decide I'm just "NUTS".

Oh well, to each their own...

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I got the "Oh your one of those guys....Nice"
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
was practicing with my recurve this week on a local offroading trail. Old timer pulls up wheeling his jeep and we get to talking about hunting. He looks at my recurve and says "you hunting with that this season?" and I said yeah. "Don't yah got a compound?"   :bigsmyl:
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Stone points on cane arrows are wicked old school not just old school!!!

People REALLY show respect for animals harvested with primitive equiptment. I never will doubt stone points again after I saw Tippits black bear kill. I wish he would post that back up again. It was stupid on my part to doubt it in the first place. Now I just want to try it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©