3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurves are old school  (Read 699 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurves are old school
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
While in CO elk hunting, we ran across other bowhunters, as well as hikers and mountain bikers. Those who commented on our longbows were very impressed. Hard Core, purists, doing it the hard way, real bowhunters were some of the comments we got. Never a negative one. I think more often than not, people are intrigued by the simplicity, and the discipline of traditional archery.

We talked with a couple on the trail, both non hunters who were really in awe that we could take up the challenge of bowhunting elk with longbows. the gentleman was really curious about our gear. He said backpacking in and hunting, especially  with a traditional bow really impressed him. Made us feel pretty good. They wished us luck in our quest as they departed to continue their hike.

Met another fella, hunting muleys who was originally from MI, resides in CO. We struck up a conversation at the trailhead, and he was showing us on my topo some areas he had bumped in to a couple elk. When he saw our bows in the back of my truck he was instantly interested. We talked about trad archery, and my son put on a little demo for him. AS it were, he was also a lefty, so we let him shoot a few shots with judo's. He was lovin it. I suspect we may have recruited another into the fold. He went on and on about how simple it was, and how much fun.

We ended up sharing a campfire and a few cold drinks withhim and his wife, and he showed us several areas to hunt that may be productive.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
At my club, it's all compound shooters, but they are all respectful of trad archery. More often there's ribbing like Mathews vs Hoyt vs Bowtech,etc. They leave me alone! As to some history on longbows and recurves, I have always thought the longbow was more of an infantry weapon, and the recurve was originally for mounted troops/cavalry. Kind of like a long rifle and a carbine. Maybe someone can add to, or correct me on this....  Shoot straight!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
When I took my Hunter Safety Course a few years back I was the only one shooting a Trad bow, a Browning Cobra. I agonized between it and my compound when I grabbed gear for the day. I grabbed the Browning and went all Trad that day.

I got a lot of looks and could hear the buzz of conversation behind me as I stepped-up to qualify. I was nervous as I'd never shot in front of people before.

Somehow I tranced out, couldn't even remember any of it afterwards, and put all 5 arrows in the middle of the vitals, surprised even myself! The buzz of comments was louder now, and excited. I calmly walked over to get my certificate, as if it was just routine shooting on my part, which at that time it wasn't.  

When I went to the old fellow that was giving out the certificates he had a big old smile on his face and told me he hadn't seen a bow like that for some time. He complimented me on some fine shooting. I could tell it made his day, and mine.

I like 'Old School', and refer to myself that way often.    :bigsmyl:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
My son and I were in the Snowmass Wilderness for Elk a few years ago. Outfitter bringing some other hunters through to another drainage while we munching at the noon hour. Saw that we had ourcamp attached to our backpacks as well as "stickbows". Talked briefly with us and as they started to leave the Outfitter says to his client's. "Primitive Dudes _ _ Studs"     :goldtooth:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I'm called crazy by my wheelie buddies.  :)  But, they are baffled how I do it.  ;)
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Butts2:
My son and I were in the Snowmass Wilderness for Elk a few years ago. Outfitter bringing some other hunters through to another drainage while we munching at the noon hour. Saw that we had ourcamp attached to our backpacks as well as "stickbows". Talked briefly with us and as they started to leave the Outfitter says to his client's. "Primitive Dudes _ _ Studs"      :thumbsup:

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
My girlfriend who just got into archery shoots a recurve.  She told a male friend of hers that she got a bow.  He asked her what kind and she told him a recurve.  His repsonse was, "Whoa, that's
bad-ass!"  She agreed.  I would agree too, but I think my Hills are a little more BA  :D
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Bowhunting with my recurves, I like being called "Old School".    :D   Not only does it sound good to me, it feels good to me too.    :thumbsup:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I agree with sixby!!!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Gotta Love That!! I was Practicing in My BackYard and had Drawn quite a Crowd of Neighborhood Tricycle-Motors Behind Me, I said "Hi, and Please stay Behind me when I shoot ok??" First Question from a Little Shaver "Are you an Indian? Didnt Indians Shoot Bows Like that?" I had a LongBow as tall as I am, and had to chuckle, then explained to him that their Bows were Much Shorter and Why.
 That was the End of my Shooting for that day, it was Question and Answer Time! It was Great!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Too cool Shakes and thanks for keeping it positive fellas!

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I've had people call me old school to,I love it!

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Wait a minute..........
I thought I was oldskool
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
we are the navy seals/ rangers of the bow hunting world... silent and deadly...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Huh... all I ever get is.. that's outdated technology and.. a compound shoots way more effectively and knuckle head who works in a sports store could tell you that.

But I just laugh when they try to explain why the compound is more effective.

Then again that's just the non hunters and empty heads I've talked to.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I took the NY archery hunter course a couple of weeks ago and was the only one there with a recurve. I had to show the instructor how to string it. Not everyone had bows of their own and when it came time to do the shooting section, I offered everyone who wanted to to to shoot my bow. I made jokes about training wheels and such, which they all got a laugh out of and some even shot my bow. It led to a fun discussion of the two types of bows and their abilities for hunting. I hope we all came out of it respecting each others choices.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
When i was young,the other kids used to think they were teasing and makeing fun of me.They called me Ishi boy.They couldnt understand why i smiled so big,when they did.LOL
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline NYStickhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
Gotta Love That!! I was Practicing in My BackYard and had Drawn quite a Crowd of Neighborhood Tricycle-Motors Behind Me, I said "Hi, and Please stay Behind me when I shoot ok??" First Question from a Little Shaver "Are you an Indian? Didnt Indians Shoot Bows Like that?" I had a LongBow as tall as I am, and had to chuckle, then explained to him that their Bows were Much Shorter and Why.
 That was the End of my Shooting for that day, it was Question and Answer Time! It was Great!!

Offline NYStickhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
Man I got a chuckle out of that!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
X2 NYStickhunter!

I love it too when I have all the kids shooting in the back yard and my nephew says, "When I grow up I want to be like Uncle Charlie and shoot arrows at animals." Thats about all I ever acccomplish...shooting at the animal and missing high or low!   :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©