3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Take down arrows. Pretty cool  (Read 901 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take down arrows. Pretty cool
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Rob,

Is that a piece of all-thread beteween the inserts?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
If you guys say these shoot OK then I'm a believer but the anal retentive me wants to think the joint won't flex and will affect paradox. Kind of like and old style fishing rod ferrule before the ones that flexed.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
You might be correct. Best way to know is check point of impact on t/d vs 1 pc arrows. Proof is in the pudding. Even a difference in POI might not be a deal breaker.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
If the joint in the middle of the shaft doesn't flex like the original shaft,you have a stiffer shaft.You just tune with more point weight.

Since this thread started,I took mine out and shot them a couple times.I hadn't touched them for 2 or three years.I couldn't remember how much tuning I did initially but did see that they had 200 gr points and that isn't a common weight for me.They shot very well and seem to fly straight.I found one that was uncut and it had a 145 gr point on and they all grouped together.I don't have a bare shaft one.

The joint seems to have added app. 74-75 grs.

It would be interesting to put them on a spine tester,before and after.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
carbon arrow spec's -

2 t/d beman 500 ics, 29", 250gr fp, bare=568grs, fletched=586grs

2 1pc beman 500 ics, 29", 250gr fp, bare=500grs, fletched=515grs

bow specs-

66", 52@29 mohawk sparrowhawk, d'02 8 strand bowstring, split finger release.

addendum -

all four 29" arrows were static spine tested on an ace model 107 spine-spine tester at .530 - there was no measured spine increase on the sectioned t/d arrows.  the t/d arrow sections will all fit inside of 16".

test results -

i just spent over an hour shooting the t/d carbons and their 1pc twins.  i was surprised to find no difference in arrow flight with the bare shafts at 10 yards.  i mean NO difference.  i know, i Know, i KNOW - there's a really stiff 2" center section on the t/d's that you'd think would radically alter the *dynamic* spine (at least i sure thought that would be the case), but i did NOT see, feel or hear any added spine stiffness at all.  ditto for the feathered versions.  the bare shaft 1 and 2 pc arrows flew beautifully, almost as if they were fletched.  i could hit or scare the heck out of a soda can at that 10 yard distance with all four arrows (one each bare/feathered 1pc and t/d).  going back to 20 yards the groupings opened but the arrows flew quite well as long as i did my part (form).  

my assessment of these particular t/d carbons -

very viable, work like a 1pc for me, adds about 75gr to the arrow's mass weight, loses about 2-4% foc - if the shaft is cut so that the rear length is about 52-55% of the total shaft (not arrow).  i still have no current need or use for t/d "stealth" arrows, but this was an interesting and fun project.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Now let's see a three piece!
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean Butler:
Now let's see a three piece!
heck, a four piece.  why not?  it'll work just fine!   :D

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
My wife and I usually go backpacking for about a month every summer.  I'd like to take along a lightweight takedown bow and takedown arrows, as I miss shooting my bow during the month we're gone.  It would have to pay for itself, though, by harvesting enough small game to justify the weight of carrying it.  We catch fish just about every night, and the weight of the fishing gear more than pays for itself, but even fresh trout gets a little tiring after 10 days in a row of it, and some roasted rabbit would be a welcome change.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
that'd work out fine, mcdave.  a cheap little 58" 3pc recurve, a six pack of t/d carbons, it'll all fit inside of about a 20-22" sack.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Rob,

Is that a piece of all-thread beteween the inserts?
yessir, sorta - steel, 1-1/8", 8-32.  i used a dremel w/carbide wheel to sheer off a machine screw's head to make it thread-only.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
You can buy 8-32 all thread in many real hardware stores...usually in 2-3' sections for pretty cheap.

GT used to use them for their weight system so I found some in a hardware store pretty cheap.

Wonder if I still have that somewhere?  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I've been going to a local archery range NJLOCO recently told me about directly from the job. That means I have to haul my gear with me all day, and to the range on my motorcycle after work. One of my 2pc longbows and a short piece of pvc tubing with 3 t/d arrows will slip right into the backpack I always carry.    :thumbsup:

These will make life much easier for me. Thanks!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I have thought about the "two insert, threaded rod" method many times, but it's too sloppy for me.  Unless you cut the threads yourself, you're at the mercy of mass produced (usually sloppy chi-com) hardware.....maybe if you faced the two inserts off in the lathe, then used screw tension to pull them tightly together....maybe.  A tight slip fit is much better IMO, and gives you the option to make the joint as long as you want (2" in the case of the woodies shown previously).  This makes the joint lest prone to breakage under shear force, and distributes the stress of the joint over a larger area.  

I am probably over "engineering" the idea, but that's kinda in my nature.
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
The other thought I've had with this idea in reference to carbons is to use a, for example, section of .500 spine shaft in the rear and a .400 spine shaft up front....maybe a 1/3 length rear and 2/3 length front.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
I think the article on making wood takedown arrows like Rob Taylor showed was in an old issue of TBM.  There are times when hunting lions that it is nice to have both hands free and everything protected in a pack so when you slide downthe mountain your arrows or bow don't get hurt.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Yeah, insert thread size is 8x32 and PDP makes an aluminum insert tapped all the way through.

Rob Taylor - The guy from Montana who made the T/D woodies also sold them commercially from his residence. I still have three I purchased directly from him years ago and may still have his name and address around if anyone is interested. At this time of year it may take me a while to dig out and find though.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Z,
Cool...I know (or am told) that he made quite a few sets of them back then.  Steve (my friend) still has an unmolested dozen shafts, one of which was in my pics.
-Rob

- George Orwell

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this little project for awhile and Rob's idea pushed me over the Edge.

I made a little takedown,carbon monopod for my pocket camera.It's called "the Rob Distefano Signature Series" monopod.

I did some extensive tuning and found that a Victory V Force HV3,.350 shaft was perfect.I also had one on hand that was snapped in the middle.The two pieces are 12" so it makes a 24" monopod.I cut the blades down on a MA-3 broadhead plus dulled them and the point and installed on an aluminum adapter.The other end for the camera,has a piece of 1/4"-20 stainless bolt epoxied in,with a shallow nut attached..I footed the point end and camera end.

You screw the upper end into the camera and stab the point into the ground.The small,3 blade broadhead seems to stabilize fine.Remember-pocket camera.If you don't like the angle,tilt the shaft and push it in the ground a little farther.

Weight is a hair over 1 ounce.It will replace my small tripod that weighs about 1 1/2 lbs.

May not work in swamps or sand dunes.

Thanks Rob.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimB:
... I made a little takedown,carbon monopod for my pocket camera.It's called "the Rob Distefano Signature Series" monopod....
dang, i dunno about that name!     :scared:     :thumbsup:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Hey this might be away to put all my broken arrows to use . Make one good arrow out of two broken ones . That camera idea is good.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©