3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman vs Snuffer  (Read 1232 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman vs Snuffer
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
How does the Woodsman compare to the Magnus Snuffer? I bought a set of Snuffers to use this season? Do the Woodsman whistle as much as the Snuffers?  Is one more durable than the other?

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman vs Snuffer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I can send you a couple of Woodsmans for a couple of Snuffers. I have not tried the Snuffers . The Woodsmans put 3 deer, a fox and a squirrel in the pan last year with no failures. Well I didnt eat the fox. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
In my experience on deer, hogs and turkeys with these heads:
Snuffers leave better blood trails...
Wensels penetrate better....
Wensels fly like a field point...Snuffers will too if your equipment is tuned properly....
They both work well on game...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I killed a doe with a Woodsman and a doe with a Snuffer last season. They both performed exceptionally well, but the Snuffer did so much internal damage, one would have thought a rifle killed her.

I'm probably leanin towards the Snuffers again this season.

Brutus

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
JMO,  I shot snuffers in years past, too much tuning and poor penetration for me.  Tried woodsmans and would never consider using another head since.  Alot of guys use snuffers and swear by them and I don't doubt they can do the job, just not for me.  Try them both, take game with both and see the results.  Might suprise ya.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
I've never tried the Woodsman, but the Snuffers will do some damage to whatever you shoot. If you're going after deer, I would no doubt go with the Snuffers.

I've never had a tuning problem with Snuffers.

Looking at the two, it looks like the Woodsman might/should penetrate better on the bigger game.

Both will do the job, but the Snuffer is hard for me to resist.   :D    :thumbsup:  

Mike

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
I'm with RAW HIDE!  Them Snuffer's are hard to resist. LOT'S of blood and no problem getting them thru a deer even with my 46# longbow. No dought both are good heads. Oh yeah' mine always fly great and I've yet to hear one whistle.   :archer:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
I used snuffers last year. They were 125 gr. screw-in on Terminator Hunter 4560 carbons out of my 55# Mahaska longbow. I made one bad shot and hit a doe in the shoulder blade. The snuffer did not penetrate, just stuck in the bone...no blood trail. After a six hour search, the deer was not recovered. I still have nightmares of that one. The next opportunity, I sent a snuffer through both lungs and into the ground on the far side of a small doe. The shot was a little high on the near side and in the center of the far lung. Damage was massive! The blood trail was like following lines on a highway for about 40 yards, then a huge pool around the deer.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you put a snuffer through the boiler room you will have a short easy tracking job. Penetration through bone is another story.

I am trying 125 gr. Woodsman on cedar shafts this year. I'll probably be using my Kota recurve this time. I'll post a report after this season.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
Razorcaps are a great compromise IMO. Slightly bigger than a Woodsman, somewhat smaller than a Snuffer. They are shorter than a Woodsman. Seems like a great design and you don't need to mess with the tips to make them durable, from my experience and testing. I'm shooting them this year.
Craig

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
I've used both and frankly I don't believe that using one means more dead or another means a poorer blood trail. I may be wrong though.   :)   I think the lader has more to do with where you hit it and that you'd have to shoot the same animal the same spot to form a true research based opinion. The most damage I saw this year out of 10 bears taken was Tippit's stone tip-the exit wound was amazing! MY WW fly exactly like my field points so I am sticking with them for obvious reasons.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
I used Snuffers for years. I had problems with penetration from tree stands so I quit using them in favor or the Woodsman, Razorcaps and Phantoms. The three that I currently use have never given me a problem with penetration. If you use the Woodsman then I would reccomend trimming back the point a bit to eliminate the needle point.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Both great heads, I've used both, but mostly Woodsmans now, though I won't hesitate to use one of my older arrows with a Snuffer. Woodsman is probably a little better in the penetration department as they are closer to the fabled/proven 3:1 ratio of length to width. I probably would stick with a Woodsman on lighter bows, say under 60#, for that reason. Both very easy to sharpen with a file. I've never had either head whistle, but I'm fanaticle about making sure my BHs are perfectly aligned and spin true - interesting observation: I find that about 1 in 12 BHs of any make that I've tried just cannot be mounted perfectly straight on any of my arrows. I've heard that a light coat of vasaline will eliminate the whistle.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
I did a test today with my Snuffers.  I put screw in inserts in them and put them on my Gold Tips (previously on POC).  On my wood arrows they whistled greatly, on the Gold Tips they were perfectly silent and flew much more true. (?)

Question;
Were they more noisy because perhaps they were not tuned as well, or is it because on the Gold tips there was more weight FOC?
  :help:

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
I have used Snuffers for many many years now and NEVER had a problem with penetration. tuning, or noise.  Tuning is simple.  Put it on and spin the arrow.  I f the head does not wobble it will FLY!  Never used a WW as I always thought they were Snuffer wannabes.  LOL
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Not quite that simple Ted...it could spin perfect on an arrow that's too weak and it won't fly for beans!

Just like any other BH,tuning requires the right spine first and foremost,then get a perfect spin and I've never had a BH arrow that wouldn't fly perfect.

VA, If your Snuffer "whistled greatly"...it wasn't mounted correctly.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I have used both and both worked fine.Put a lot of helical on your feathers and both will make some noise in flight.I shoot lighter bows now so if I wanted a three blade the woodsman would be my choice for the extra penitration.If I had power to spare the 160 snuffer would be on the end of my arrow.Bigger is always better if you can use it.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Not quite that simple Ted...it couls spin perfect on an arrow that's too weak and it wound fly for beans!

Just like any other BH,tuning requires the right spine first and foremost,then get a perfect spin and I've never had a BH arrow that wouldn't fly perfect.

VA, If your Snuffer "whistled greatly"...it wasn't mounted correctly.....
I agree with everything you said with one exception.  I have been mounting broadheads for about 40 years.  If one was whistling...well maybe it wasn't right, but when they all whistle then it's not the mounting.
I reiterate my original question.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I have to agree with Curt, if your arrrow is tuned to the bow I also have never had a broadhead that did not fly good. I know I can unscrew my field points and take broadhead of close to equal weight that spin test perfect and it will fly good. The snuffers to me are tougher and leave awesome bloodtrails. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I've killed elk and Mule deer with Snuffers. My buddies has taken Elk as well.  Never had a problem with Penetration at all. Pass throughs on all animals, In fact I shot through the(scapula) shoulder blade on a big cow elk a few yrs ago and had a pass through. Huge blood trails. They seem to be a little hard for me to get as sharp as I like though. Probably just me though.
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
I've shot several deer w/ both heads and haven't had problems w/ penatration from Snuffers.
Shoot what you can tune the best and get the sharpest.
IMO,If you shoot snuffers.Shoot the 145's or 160's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©