3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman vs Snuffer  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman vs Snuffer
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
VA Bowbender,

Both BH's are excellent if used properly.  By that I mean mounting them properly, shooting them out of a fairly stout bow and staying away from shoulder blades.  

With that said let me say one thing....I haven't shot every BH made but I would bet there isn't a BH made that won't fly right if your arrow is tuned.  In other words, if your BH's aren't fly'n true.....it ain't the BH.

Sooo...with that said if you got a tuned set-up and you're gonna use them on deer or bears.... give'm a try.  In my experience the Snuffers are easier to mount true.

And you don't need a ton of helical to get them to fly.  Honestly....if you need a ton of helical to get your arrows to fly true then you've got problems eslewhere.  Besides.....the more helical the more drag which saps speed.  Remember.....you have to push blades in 3 planes through bone and tissue with a 3 bladed BH.  If you have to put a bunch of helical to get them to fly then you are really defeating the purpose.

With a 2 blade BH you only have to cut in 1 plane.  Also...in my experience the 3 blade BH's don't leave anymore blood than a 2 blade.  Shoot'm right and there won't be a need to track.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
I have both and can't make up my mind,,Both Heads are just awsome in one way or another,,JB
TGMM

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
I like both brands, but now I shoot Razorcaps. Easier for me to sharpen.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
I have taken a few animals with both types of broadheads in the past and was very pleased with each successful shot.  

I did a little experimenting this past javelina season... I filled my quiver with a mix of both woodsmans (woodsmen?) and snuffers.  In practice they shot the exact same without any whistling noted (from the broadhead).  On the hunt, I noted very nice consistent arrow flight as I shot over the backs of four different javelina.  What I determined is that which broadhead I pull out of my quiver does not matter unless next time I'm shooting at taller javelina.

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
"With a 2 blade BH you only have to cut in 1 plane. Also...in my experience the 3 blade BH's don't leave anymore blood than a 2 blade. Shoot'm right and there won't be a need to track."

Brett

I totally agree with Brett.  If a sharp Zwickey, Magnus, Grizzly two blade broadhead hits the rib cage and lungs the deer may never know it and the amount of blood will not be an issue.  I believe there is too much friction on entry (compared to 2 bladers) with 3 or more blade heads for two reasons.  One is more difficulty getting through the animals body having to cut with unnecessary surface area of blades, and two with more friction on entry there is more alarming of the deer's senses and it then takes off running in fright.  Then the blood trailing. How can you beat a sharp heavy two blader when comparing harvest and retrievel efficiency.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
However....When I worked at Willow Point Island the guides all used snuffers on fairly heavy swaged arrows with compound bows.  They killed alot of deer.  They were not at all worried about problems retrieving deer.  We had incredible tracking labs that did that.  They just wanted to blow the biggest holes possible and do as much damage as possible.  So that is another scenario.  I guess the broadhead type depends on your objective.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
Snuffers  since 1976, with absolutely no penetration problems! My observations on bone hits are from years of Bear guiding and found that NO BR)OADHEAD made and no Bow Weight will put any Broadhead thru a Bear scapula PERIOD! Shot placement is the most important aspect of hunting ,whether using a Bow or a Gun!!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Agreed Sergio! I think if a guy is worried about what broadhead it takes to penetrate heavy bones of deer and other big game, he's wasting his time.

Arrows ARE NOT bone busters. At least not dependably and especially given the average bow weight being shot by bowhunters today (45-55).

Everyone seems to obsess over "what if I hit bone" and there are a lot of other ways and places to hit an animal that aren't good. On a gut shot or even a liver shot, I want the biggest most damaging wound channel I can get.

In that respect Snuffers get my vote.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
I shot my deer last year with a 125 grain Magnus II with 75 grain inserts.  I've killed a lot of deer back in the day with the compound and 100 grain three blade thunderheads.  The deer last year died within about four seconds and only got about 23 yards.  I'm using Snuffers this year.  In part because I like to try different stuff, in part for insurance on a bad shot, and in part because I hunt some suburban areas and want that deer pined down quickly.  Hopefully something will walk into one of my Snuffers this year.  Who know for next year...
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Sorry Guru, I was assuming that the bow had all equipment matched and correct.  Guess we all know what happens when we
ass u me.   :knothead:    :bigsmyl:    I will restate my observation.  If arrows and bow are mated and correct just spin your Snuffer and if it don't wobble it will fly.
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Awww c'mon Charlie, where's the fun if we can't obsess over something   ;)  

I did at one time obsess over which head would kill better etc. When I first switched back to trad 7 or so years ago, I thought I had to shoot a STOS or similar 2 blade for penetration because I was handicapping myself with trad equipment. Over these years, and after a few practical experiences of my own, my views have begun to evolve slightly. I've found with the setups I typically shoot, the logical choice among quality broadheads is much wider than I had first expected.

I'm on a quest to kill all my critters this year each with a different broadhead. Mainly, because I think there are probably 25-50 good heads out there that will all perform within a few, imperceptable percentage points of each other for anything on this side of the pond and most anything else below the size of zebra on the other side. Dr. Ashby's reports have been very enlightening to us all...but for most game on this side of the hemisphere, you could grab most any sharp cut on contact head and hunt with confidence.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
I have never used anything but a Snuffer. I use the 125gr screw in on a 3555 Goldtip. My bows are all about 55#. I have killed bear, deer and Caribou with the same setup. I have never gotten a total pass thru, however always good blood and the job that head did as it stayed in the cavity was wicked. My largest animal (Caribou) did have the best penetration. Both the deer and Bear the Snuffer hit bone on the far side. I would not expect it to penetrate that.

My set up is always tuned and basically I spin them true, line up the blades with one at 6 o'clock and always good to go. I have never had whistling.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
I have shot snuffers for the last 2 years and deer I killed with them died in sight. I use the 160 grain and penetration is not an issue for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©