3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A good night with my boy!!!!  (Read 500 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
A good night with my boy!!!!
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Wed. night found me in my third diferent setup in four days and I was pretty confifdent I had found the "Spot on the Spot".  It was the 5th day of my 6 day hunt in a Park Mang. Hunt and I had watched a doe come out of this thicket for two nights.  I had moved my stand after my last evenings sit and felt very confident that I would be presented with a 8 to 12 yard shot just to my left.  As the light was fading I hear that tell tell sound of a stick snaping over my left shoulder that my ears told me wasnt a squirrl.  A min. latter here she comes, just off the trail a few yards so its going to put her at about 12 to 13 yards   :D    My heart went from 0 to 60 in .2 seconds, it was go time.  She entered my first shooting lane and I gave a squeek but no go, she entered my second and I gave a soft whistle, thats what I was looking for!!  Broad side at 12 to 13, 10 min. before quitting time and a Shark thats Hungery  :scared:  "OH NO ITS GOING LOW" was my first thought but then she ducked  :saywhat:    Now I see that my arrow has hit her stright up the leg but not sure if its high enough to get into the chest cavity  :help:  She takes off and after a brief run off of about 50 yards, its quiet..... 10 seconds go by and I hear one quiet crash  :pray:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A good night with my boy!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Heart shot!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Do the nanny dead dance!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Where was I.........?

I seen the arrow hit and that it wasnt a pass through......and then she was gone.  I waited a few min. and decided to get down quit and see if there was any blood and it didnt take long  :thumbsup:  

I found blood right away but it seemed watery  :confused:   6 or 7 steps later I found 3/4 of the back of my arrow with good blood on it  :cool:    OK Im feeling better about the shot but am a little confused about the watery blood.
I was pretty sure that ment a muscel hit and decided to back out, call my buddy to pick his brain about the shot/blood trail and pick up my 5 year old David up to help with the tracking.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Had to go though a lot of leg muscle to get the heart so I imagine that is why there was muscle blood early.  I have also discovered that sometimes, not always, heart shots do not bleed all that well.  From information gathered here and really some basic common sense I believe it is because you just destoyed the pump.  

I think of it like an auto - if the fuel pump goes the car stops but you have no clue why???  If you cut the fuel line, same effect, but you certainly know what is going on by all the evidence in your driveway!

Good luck

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Nice, just waiting for the rest.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
That is a great summation of the feeling and experience we are all after.

Where's the hero picts????
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Ill wrap it up on my lunch break

:campfire:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
In talking with my buddy ( fellow TGer Kaz ) and we decided that she was probably where I had heard the crash but to take it slow and asses the blood trail as we go.  An hour and a half later Im back with David and we say a quick prayer for keen eyes and a clear head. We pick up the blood trail where I had left the broken arrow stuck in the ground and each with a Mag Lite. At the first sign of blood David is all over it like a Blood Hound    :bigsmyl:      I turned to fallow HIS orders and all I could do was smile,  the little buger catches on quick    :thumbsup:    

We fallowed the blood about ten more yards past the trail and there she was.......right where I heard her crash    :pray:    

The shot was a little forward of where I thought I hit and for being 15 feet up and her being at 12 yards I expected my arrow to be at a steeper angle.

Enterance:

Exit:

And the Hero Shot

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Congrats!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Enjoy the feast!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline guk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
thats great love to see kids out in the woods

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Excellent !!!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Good job!

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
nice job.    :archer:   5
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Im shooting a 47 @ 28" PTF, 5575 GoldTips,and 175 gr. Tiger Sharks!!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
That was some great penetration!

Congratulations!

Bob

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
So did you get the heart?  I have also found, with some regularity, that if I hit one that far forward the leg and leg muscle can cover up the hole as they run leaving less blood on the ground.  Great job and super congrats on having your son along.  I wish I could have done stuff like that with my father.

By the way - that is one big swamp donkey - weigh her and post it in the z-give-a-way forums and will some arrows.  I can make kids arrows for you son if you like?  

Bob

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Great shot!!  I'd take that shot placement every time! Congratulations on a nice looking doe!
Glenn

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bobby Urban:
So did you get the heart?  I have also found, with some regularity, that if I hit one that far forward the leg and leg muscle can cover up the hole as they run leaving less blood on the ground.  Great job and super congrats on having your son along.  I wish I could have done stuff like that with my father.

By the way - that is one big swamp donkey - weigh her and post it in the z-give-a-way forums and will some arrows.  I can make kids arrows for you son if you like?  

Bob
Bob,

I hit right in front of the heart and your right about the shot being through the meaty parts of the leg.......it didnt hardly bleed at all but her chest was just full!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©