3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TX hunters check in.......  (Read 2475 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
TX hunters check in.......
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Hunted a few days this week and heading back out to East TX for the weekend. Trying for a deer and any unlucky hogs....obviously really dry and my host has not filled their feeders yet, so it's kinda ambush tactics and spot and stalk in the thick stuff right now. The deer are still coming to their old food plots in the AM, I've noticed, and I might just set up on the trails to/from there. Seeing lots of deer and some midday. I think the stress of the summer is hurting us. I'll hunt close to the creeks in the riverbottom area.

Anyone here in TX out now or have news from this week? I'd like to hear what everyone is seeing?
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TX hunters check in.......
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
I hunt near Goliad, TX and opening weekend I saw lots of hogs (shot two), some does and no bucks were seen.  Still early though and the bucks should start making more appearances during the last week of archery season.  At least that's the usual schedule on our place.

Good luck.
Moon

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Little movement and scarce water with deer only watering at night.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
saw a jackrabbit with a bucket if that helps you any!!!Hill Country

Online jrbb00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Im in hallettsville with a full quiver and ready for sat. morning maybe and hopefully shot my first trad deer buck doe does not matter to me.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Ok guys I'll keep you posted from Winona....thansks for the updates!

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Ok guys I'll keep you posted from Winona....thansks for the updates!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
I've been feeding the deer in my front yard. The high summer temperatures this year and no rain since last September of 2010 has put a hurt on the deer where I live and hunt.

The deer coming to the front yard of my house, both bucks and does, their ribs are showing. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age and I've decided to not hunt deer this year. I'm going to hunt small feral hogs instead.

Besides, the 13" antler inside spread rule is in effect and I haven't seen a buck with a spread wider than 12" this year.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
That's exactly what I'm fearing. Where are you?

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
I hunt in the Hill Country, going back down tomorrow.  We've been seeing does in one area during the morning, and then a separate, more heavily wooded area about 500 yards away is where the bucks like to show up in the evenings -- there's action at these two feeders only at those times, never both.  Occasionally, you get some does mixed in with the bucks and vice versa.

Opening weekend, we found they were doing 2 things -- first, they were moving around later in the mornings than usual (we've been scouting this place all year with cameras and also just sitting and watching their pathing from hillsides and blinds), and second, they were moving around a lot just after midday rather than their usual pattern of just before dark.  We adjusted for this on Sunday and my brother-in-law was able to take a shot on a 9-point around 2:30pm (we never, ever saw them out-and-about around this time prior to this), but it was a bad shot.   :(

We'll see what happens this weekend.  Good hunting and be safe.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I hunted the Sam Houston National Forest last weekend and its dry as heck. I do alot of spot and stalk out there but its sounds like I'm crushing a bag of potato chips every time my feet hit the ground. I'll be back after it tomorrow. I had a doe within 25 yards last weekend (she didnt give me a good shot) but she looked pretty healthy. Sam Houston is on a lake though so they are getting water. I may hit Amistad once rifle season starts since its bow only. No lease for me again this year, its been hard to find a good lease.

Good luck too you
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
4 does and a little one at 60 yds. Crossing in front of me in a clearing. There's an armadillo beneath the stand and it sounds like a frigging elephant rolling in the underbrush!!!

I saw acorns on the road when I stalked in.

***please resize pic***

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I hunted my place opening mourning,it buts up to the Sam Houston National Forest.Only hunted 30 minutes,shot a doe right off the bat.I was surprised how good a shape she was in and she even had some fat on her.
 My lease is in Coldspring, been feeding heavy there with feeders and hand feeding.Cameras showing a lot of hogs,some does and a few bucks.The deer are looking poor there with ribs showing.There is water in the creeks so that helps.Will hunt there this weekend.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I'll be taking a good friend up on an invite next weekend in the Florence area and hopefully will secure an open gate pass to a ranch near Comanche for hogs soon.
Good luck y'all.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Wood County is slow. Had two does first day come in to my plum thicket(close but no shot) when we had that temp drop. after that not much going on. all my pics of critters are at nite watering.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Opening morn last Sat, I hunted deep woods SHNF. Unknown, it was near the Lone Star Trail where I saw 15 hikers total (numerous groups) walking through making all kinds of noise. On purpose? Been 4 days before sunup to after sundown & haven't seen a thing. Hunted over a wet creek tonight until dark & noticed the moon. Public land deer feed after dark on bright moons. Found 1 oak w/very small acorns, 1 small rub, 2 scrapes, & I'm in the deep woods a lot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by highpoint forge:
That's exactly what I'm fearing. Where are you?
I live in Magnolia, Texas which is in southeast Texas. It's about 35-40 miles northwest of downtown Houston, Texas near the upper Texas coast.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
My inlaws are in Conroe. Plenty dry there too.

Offline klight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
Wow...we are all close. I live in Cypress, about 10 min from Magnolia. We should all get together some time. I dont personally know to many trad guys away from the web sites. I'm the only one out of the people I hunt with that uses trad gear.
60" Thunderstick MOAB  55#'s @ 28"
64" Mohawk Classic     64#'s @ 28"
62" Mohawk Sparrowhawk 55#'s @ 28"

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Look up Staitera.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©