3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TX hunters check in.......  (Read 2483 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TX hunters check in.......
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Nothing for me yet. Started to draw back on a nice 8 point but he heard/saw/sensed me and took off. A few minutes late a doe stepped in and I let an arrow fly..... above her back.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline PaPa Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I hunted the cool front Thursday - Sunday and saw deer at every stand I hunted, just nothing to shoot at. Several 2-3 year old bucks and yearling does or spikes. I'm still looking for a mature deer.
Sarrels BlueRidge SR 60" 52#@28
Tolke TD Recurve 56" 45#@
Dryad 17" Epic riser, multiple limbs

Jesus is My Savior!

Offline EastTexasRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I hunt west of Alto. Opening weekend, Sat. evening had two 8 points and a yearling come in. The 8 point that was big enough to be legal stayed behind a cedar tree forever. I got my bow ready, when he stepped out he looked around, figured something wasn't right, turned around and walked off into the woods, the other two followed him. No chance for a shot. This past Sat. morning had two does show up, didn't pick a spot and shot right over the back of one. Funny how you forget the little things. Will be back after them this weekend.

Offline 152 Sumo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
I wish I was ready to hunt.  I live in NW Houston.  I have had my recurve for a couple years.  Gotta be honest, I haven't practiced enough.  Should be ready by now, but Im only consistent to 10 yards.  

Anyway, good luck to all of you this season.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Skunked tonight but hunted a big ol ravine system behind a very productive feeder. Many Mosquitos and nothing moving at 80F. The squirrels barely showed up at dark!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Saw a NICE 10 pointer with a doe, from the truck this PM. I left the brush blind early as the feeder was inexplicably empty. Just watched him walk away. Tall rack with heavy dark antlers and the main beams were close to touching. Just outside the ears. I'd guess a  3 year old.  He had good body mass too.

The acorns are on the ground fellas...

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Went to my lease in Aspermont opening weekend and found both my feeders out of commission. #1 battery out of juice. My son-in-law had mounted the solar panel under the feeder instead of on the side. new battery and remounted solar panel. second feeder destroyed by cows. Had to buy new feeder and rework fence. No deer this weekend.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Last weekend went to another place near Brady. Only saw 4 deer in three days and none of them were close. Out of 20 hunters one axis and one doe in three days. Not looking good. I have yet to drop a string. Maybe Thanksgiving when I go again to Aspermont.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Been hunting about 4 sits out at my lease in Nixon.  Had 2 small bucks at 12 yards this week. Neither was legal.  I'm hoping to at least get a shot at some hogs one of these days.  Maybe the cooler weather will help out.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Froze my butt off this AM as I was up and in the bushes by 5. Saw nothing. Deer had been there though. They left me several presents. I'm going to require more insulation under this fancy high tech camo.....

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
How'd everyone do? Trying to head out again same timeframe this week....

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
It has been harder this year for sure,I usually have had much better luck finding nice bucks.I am seeing a few does and small bucks but no shooters yet.Had a big doe come in to my set up Saturday evening.She had 2 button bucks and a yearling doe with her and big mama doe was in bad shape.Really pulled down with all those little ones.Starting to see more scrapes now and good pics of shooter bucks both day and night.Just need them to show when I am there.A lot of season left to hunt.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Had a big 6-point that is well known on our lease (Hill Country) -- which one of my nephews shot at on youth weekend and missed -- within 20 yards of me... with limbs between us.  The one lane I didn't clear (because I had the approach points covered to that spot, or so I thought).  After watching him for over 5-minutes repeatedly turn broadside to continue eating, I couldn't stand it... I got up off my stool (I ground hunt exclusively) and began inching my way to a spot about 3 yards closer that would offer me a clear shot.  Of course, he turned and began walking when I was almost in position, and he busted me.  I'm still sick about it.  I'm new to all this, especially ground hunting, so lesson learned: be patient and don't succumb to 'buck fever' so easily.

Had a young spike who is always hanging around come within 10 yards on Sunday (he was also hanging around on Saturday), but I keep giving him a pass as watching him has given me lots of good information on favored trails in the area and so forth.  Plus, he was shot at once by someone else (arrow merely took some hair on top of his back, we have photos) and was standing next to the aforementioned 6-pt when my nephew shot at him, so he has also had a bullet fly past his head.  I figure I don't want to jinx myself, so I leave him be, heh.

Kind of a bad weekend; very little movement, strange weather (windy, cold and sunny on Saturday; hot, muggy, cloudy and way too quiet on Sunday).  Friends/relatives hundreds of miles away on another lease (W/NW of Fort Worth) saw absolutely nothing all weekend.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
I'm gonna try to get down south to the lease this weekend. I have a bad tooth and a root canal keeping me in town all week.

Bisch

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
Hunted Sat night/Sunday morning.....nada this weekend.  Cooler weather coming!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Just missed this evenings hunt. I'll try a late morning through midday tomorrow. Full moon.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Busted by does at 10 yards while setting up my 360 chair! I turned around to sit and look up; there's 5 does staring at me.. SNORT.  Hogs behind me fighting both days almost got introduced to my .45 ( why I went to find them without my bow is anyone's guess).....but go figure I found them all right. Scouted for white oaks and found many. Tomorrow those hogs are gonna get it. Here's pics of my setup. Too bad those are Willow oaks and note White oaks! Pics coming.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Made a nice shot on a fox squirrel at 22 yds.....those little dudes are tough, though. He climbed a tree with my arrow but another squirrel knocked him back to the ground defending his turf.

Couldn't get drawn on a doe...but it was looking good. A buck was between us an he picked me off up in the tree.

Wind and moon are working against me. Deer sightings are scarce this weekend.

My buddy shot two pigs, though.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Is it just my area or have the deer not recovered from the drought yet?
Ive seen lots of deer and some good horn this year but I havent shot any yet,they're nothing but a bag of bones around my area.
SL

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
We have seen several very nice bucks and rutting behavior is definitely occurring here in east TX. They hand at the edge of fields and rush out for the does, noses down and oblivious to us in vehicles. Trying to get set up on a route into/out of those fields....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©