3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Disaster Strikes!  (Read 255 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Disaster Strikes!
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I finally got the nerve up to try making my own bow.  I decided to try to build a board bow using The Ferret's instructions (excellent by the way).

I went to a local supply store one day last week and picked the best red oak board from their pitiful selection.  Brought it home and got started.  Everything had been going very smoothly much to my surprise.  Ordered a bowstring for it last week and it came in today.  Tiller was looking good to my untrained eye so I braced her at about 3 inches.  I went to check the weight.  She got to about 30 pounds at 20 inches and "KABOOOOOOMMM".  Limb snapped about 10 inches from the tip.  Only thing I can figure is there was a slight hinge that my novice eye didn't pick up.

Reminds me of a quote.
"Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more."  ~Edward H. Harriman

Oh well.  Nothing to do but try again.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Disaster Strikes!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Landshark (love the name by the way remembering SNL from the 70's)I blew up 3 before I got a shooter so you still have a ways to go. I've often said on threads I'm not the biggest fan of red oak and much prefer hickory or pecan which are much tougher woods. That said, many bows have been made from red oak and if the wood isn't too dry and the grain is good it should make a 50#er at 28". Don't give up because you learn a little with each one you make. Pick up another piece and try again., and see if you can find a piece of Hickory while you're there.

Remember never pull the bow further than a possible problem (before correcting that problem) or higher than intended draw weight whichever comes first and only an inch at a time and excercise it as you go.

Pick yourself up cowboy and throw a leg over that horse again. It's the only way to break her.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Ferret.  Even though this first one didn't work out, there's something addictive about this bow-building business.

I wanted to use hickory, but red oak and I think ash were all they had at my local supply.  Ash won't work will it?  I may have to do a little driving to get what I need.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Yes ash will work too. Makes a pretty bow.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©