3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where to place a treestand?  (Read 139 times)

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
where to place a treestand?
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Imagine you have found a natural spring that the game are using as a mineral lick and for drinking. The spring has 7 or 8 trails coming to it all heavily used from all points of the compass and the bush is very thick. The only way you can get a shot on more than one trail is to put the stand right above the lick.
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to place a treestand?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I would put it back from the lick to get the shot at the lick that way you are covering more than one trail. Just pick whatever way the wind is in your favor.

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Any chance of using a trail cam to see which route the bucks are taking? Or which trail is used most often, and when?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
If it was me, I'd put the stand away from the lick to cover one well used trail hoping it's the main trail the deer are using to get to and from the lick.

Putting a stand right over a lick is bad news where I hunt. Any type of movement a deer notices or hears a sound, the deer look up and if they look up and see me, they win because even if I could get a shot off, the deer will dodge the arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
I think I would leave the stand in my garage and set myself on a stool and play it day by day depending on the wind drift and conditions.

Offline TRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
I voted near the lick because of more trails.  This said, what it the prevailing wind would be my first question.  My second is as above stated, can you scout the area with a camera or 2.  My third is it possible to come in and out of the area quietly with a climber and try both.

These kind of questions are what make hunting so much fun!
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV)

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
A trail camera is on my Christmas list for sure. We built the trail into the lick and put the stand to be downwind of the prevailing wind and were able to cover 3 trails but so far no bulls have commited to come in close enough for a shot. I asked the question because several bulls have come within 50 yards before turning off but never on the same trail. Definately fun and very exciting!! Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©