3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Elk Were Harmed in the Making of this Story  (Read 492 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
No Elk Were Harmed in the Making of this Story
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
This year’s elk hunt was a little different than years past. For starters I was working in California for the majority of the elk season. To add to the fun a forest fire closed a huge portion of our elk area. This concentrated large amounts of hunters in one localized area.  In turn the elk moved deep into the area’s most would not go.  After making the two day trip from California to Cheyenne spending some much needed time with my girlfriend swapping out my gear for elk hunting goods I hit the road to Sheridan.  I arrived in camp late in the evening Dad and his buddy were out hunting so I unloaded my gear and made a short walk around camp.  The next day Dad and I went to an area he had been seeing elk the week before.  That night was proof of just how much pressure the elk were under.  There was neither a sound nor an elk to be seen.  That night in camp a friend who had been on his last hunt for the year that night and was thinking about whether his boss would let him stay a little longer told me where he had found a good bull.  After looking at the pictures and hearing his stories my spirits were lifted.  

Let me take a second here to tell you what makes the group of hunters I call my friends so special. This guy I have only known for a few years, I see him only during elk season, we all make sure to stop at each other’s camps each year(had it not been for the fire we would not have been camping together) and he was telling me of this bull he found.  The next day as we helped him through the somber task of taking down his camp and loading his truck he told me his thoughts on how to approach the area and what he had seen this bull do.  As we shook hands before he left his words were “I sure hope you get him I really want to see him up close”.   I have hunted with those who will not even talk to you if you see a bull bigger than they seen.  This man understands what hunting should mean and passes it on to all he comes in contact with.  Don’t know if he will ever read this but THANK YOU Phil.

Monday came around and I was ready for a long day hunting.  I took the morning easy to gather my things get some food in me.  At noon I took off for what turned out to be an amazing night.  After a six mile hike to the area I was told about I found ELK.  Quickly I moved into some cover and started observing the situation.  One bull, two bulls, four cows, no six cows, now five bulls, wait where did he come from. Then behind me I heard one bugle.  More and more elk came out of the timber.  I believe there were 16 cows and 18 bulls in one canyon.  Now anyone who hunts elk will attest this is the making for one awesome scene!!!!

Now here is where I fault.  When I was in the middle of the elk I never thought gee I should take a picture of some of them. I just keep maneuvering and working for a shot.  Well turns out my conscious and me had a talk and I should have taken pictures.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Elk Were Harmed in the Making of this Story
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I was wondering about your season...

Keep it coming!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
I have been elk hunting since my Dad would take me along as a little kid and I have never in any elk encounter experienced what I did that night.  The dynamic was interesting. Normally you would have a heard bull with some satellites.  With hunting pressure heavy and space a commodity these elk had no definable heard structure.  (A Bowhunters Dream)  The Bugles were rolling. This bull to that one and back and forth. Then another would but in and another all night.  Fights were happening more than I have ever seen.  Two nice bulls would wallow then steal a cow get it stolen back then wallow again and repeat the whole thing.  Now there was one bull in this group that was exceptional, mid 350 range.  Of the rest 7 would score over 300 with the majority of the others still record book quality.  

After being in the midst of this elk frenzy. For over an hour with three hours of daylight left I had a five point with a broken horn, from what I could see he was the smallest bull in the group, coming my way.  He fed to within 14 yards before making his way past me and up the hill.  

As I moved toward the next closest bull I could tell he was a dandy. 50 yards, 40 yards, 30 yards I closed the gap to under 20 yards. I was at the edge of the cover as he tended the cows he was claiming at the time.  Another of the larger bulls came running over after being ran off by the big boy.  Now right in front of me are two great bulls who have no idea I am anywhere in the forest.  Decision time was here

I had some choices to make. It was HOT HOT HOT only getting into the mid 50’s at night and reaching in the 80’s during the day.  I was asking myself the whole time. Ok now you are over seven miles in a straight line from a road with two substantial canyons in the way.  Can I get an elk out of here before I lose him to spoilage?  My answer was likely not.  I felt the responsible choice was not to harvest a bull here.  It would have taken me at the least two days to get one out of this area and that was to long.  

I slowly backed out and continued to watch the show. Throughout the night I probably heard 300 or more bugles. I heard cows talk constantly. I saw bulls fight, wallow and breed cows.  I could almost understand the conversations they were having at times.  I walked out that night in the dark confident I made the right choice and so very thankful for the opportunity I was given to observe all I had seen that night.  

The next day had me back in the same area.  Though they had scattered out some the second day was nothing like the first.  I knew they would start moving back into the areas that were more accessible soon.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Great story, good choice, thanks for sharing.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Great stuff Randy, that was one incredible evening!  You may have been short changed this year on number of days in the field, but one night like that sure helps make up for it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
... Can I get an elk out of here before I lose him to spoilage?  My answer was likely not.  I felt the responsible choice was not to harvest a bull here. ...
Esteem meter: ++++10
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I commend you on your decision... ya get three gold stars... Next year
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I had put on nearly 40 miles in the last two days so the middle of the week I took it easy and hunted a different area I had heard good things about and took a few pictures of the fire and saw a couple elk as well.

I had a feeling if I let those elk be they would fill in the vacant areas.  Turns out I was right and they brought friends.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Thursday afternoon I decided I would go see how the elk were doing where I had found them earlier in the week as I had a hunch they would be scattered out a little more and in a more accessible area.   As I began my hike it was not long before I started to see the thought was paying off.  After the first mile I started to see tracks.  Then on closer inspection I noticed the tracks were on top of my tracks leaving two nights before.  A change of plans was in order.  It was time to get to a vantage point.  I like to hunt from as high as I can get for two reasons.  It allows me to hunt a lot of country in the shortest amount of time.  The second is the higher you are the more stable the mountain winds will be.  
So here is my starting point right in the middle of the park.

This was my vantage.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Randy very interest story, sounds like you found elk heaven.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
As I sat and enjoyed Gods creation I could not help but be amazed with what I was seeing.  Huge canyons, towering mountains, bluest of blue skies and felt nothing but relaxed something I really needed.  As four rolled around I was sure I would start hearing bugles so I began to walk the ridge line listening and glassing.  It was not long before I heard the first bugle rang out in the canyon.  Quickly I moved to a position where I could see a little better and where I hoped the wind would hold.  It was quiet for the next fifteen minutes or so with not an elk to be seen.  At almost 6 they TURNED ON.  I started hearing bugles all over.  One I knew, it was one of the bulls I had passed up on Monday almost five miles from here.   I once again quickly moved to make an approach.  Then across the canyon level with me I heard another bull screaming.  I looked over to see a MONSTER and four cows running full bore down the hill.  When they reached the bottom they instantly went to feeding.   I thought to myself gee they were hungry.  Now the bull I had heard before and this new bull posed a choice.  It would be much easier I thought to get to the bull in the bottom, plus I knew he was much much larger than the bull from Monday.

Then I did something I knew better than to try.  I went done the point of a ridge line to get off the mountain into the bottom with the bugling giant.  I could see him wallowing and his cows feeding nearly 100 yards from him.  What more could you ask for.  Well the point of the ridge gave me the wind and the visual to approach fast.  It also gave me a rim rock.  Yea I was stuck 80 yards away and no parachute.  I scrambled back up the hill to what felt like the top but was likely only a couple hundred feet in elevation gain before I could get around this rim.  I was late to the party though and he had rejoined his cows and was pushing them down the creek.  After making a huge loop to regain the wind I made another stock again I was behind him.  Again a huge loop and I just knew I was there.  He was drinking from the creek and I got my first really good look at him.  70 yards away I could see a bull bigger than any I have taken with my bow.  His cows above me he had to go by me.  Finally he started towards his cows as I readied for a shot.  Just when I thought my plan worked he decided to start trotting faster and faster.  Past me he went 35-40 yards but never offering a clean shot.  Shortly after they moved off into the trees as darkness fell.  As I walked out I ran into my friend Kendal.  He had also been on the same bull and said he thought they had winded him in a swirl and that is why they moved into the trees.  I estimated this bull in the mid 380 range.   So twice in a week I had been on great bulls with up close action.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
At the edge of this park is where this large bull wallowed as I scrambled to find a way to get close enough.  

Friday myself and some others went to the same area.  There was not a single bugle cow talk or bird chirp all morning.  Friday night I again went on a hunt with my Dad, same as the morning quiet and still.  Here he is playing with his GPS.  He has learned to name things in it finally  

All in all it was a great week of hunting despite the difficulties and shorted time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
Randy,congrats once again on a great elk hunt.You could have been successful many times during that hunt and I share your decisions.
Once again you have showed what a great elk hunter you are also if you haven't taken any shot!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
What a hunt! I sure was hoping you'd have a good one this year and it was! Happy for you!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Randy

You sure hunt some amazing country and to find bulls like that on public ground says alot about your skills as a hunter.  Thanks for sharing your season with us......sounds like it was a success no matter how you look at it.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Randy - Sounds like a great hunt......really great that you got to see a couple of world class bulls.

Things pop up sometimes to give us shortened seasons.  However,  given all the nice bulls you've taken over the years, I'm sure you will store away the knowledge gained this year and be posting photos of a big rank bull next season!  I, for one, will be patiently looking forward to next elk season for your thread!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Randy,

Great story, thanks for sharing!

I can't imagine hunting in an area where 300+ class Bulls are not uncommon. Good to see you made it back for some down time.

Hopefully you will get to make a couple shoots here after the first of the year and we can catch up.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Wow Randy, sounds like a lot of fun.  To have a big bull like that so close for so long is such a special thing. I wish he'd have given you a shot...just one.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Thankyou for sharing your story.  :notworthy:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©