3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for still hunters  (Read 294 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for still hunters
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
So I was out for the first time this year, still hunting. This is my preferred way of hunting as I get bored and cold in stand. Well I was doing everything "right". Moving slowly, stopping every few steps surveying the area, and waiting before moving on. Well as seems to happen way too often I stopped at one point in an area that I know the deer move through, stood in a bush and looked and listened for ten minutes. Waiting to see if I could hear any deer moving or see anything in the woods. Nothing happened so I decide to move on and after taking one step a deer I couldn't see bounds off from about forty yards away, through the thick brush.
I like to hunt this way but am no expert by any stretch, and this got me thinking; What is the right thing to do at this point. The deer didn't snort or blow, just bounded off as if something was not right but not sure what it was. Do you just keep moving the way you are going, circle around and try to head the deer off, or call it quites on the area and move to another spot.
For me the day was too nice to quit and I only had a couple of hours, so I kept moving as if nothing had happened and eventually circled around to where I thought the deer might have run of to to then move to the feeding field.

So what do you all do in a situation like this. Any insights would be a big help to myself and all the other clod hoppers out there.

P.S. I didn't see the deer agian.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for still hunters
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
That is a good question! I should start a post on how to do it for moose!!
Let see what people have to say!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Dave, feel free to add it to this post if you like. I'm just looking for options and thoughts.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
In most cases even if you spooked that deer he or she didn't run far. I have seen this with snow on the ground...they don't head out of the country just away from you. Get the wind right and go very slowly after it. Will you get a shot with the bow...maybe not. Will you see the deer again ,if you go slow and keep good wind I would bet you would. Keep the wind right and go slow. One or two steps and look....repeat!   good luck!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Razorback,
I'm like you. My problem is that I'm just not patient enough to sit there all day like some folks are... I wish I were sometimes. I also prefer still hunting however, but can't say I am an expert by any means. When that happens to me, and it does, after things settle down I have more of a tendency to find a place right where I am, or close to it and stay put for 1/2 hour or more. I have had occasion where one deer may take off and there's another close by trying to figure out why the first one left. Many times if I haven't waited, I take that next step or two what's left in the area bolts out of there and then I am relatively certain the area is now clear of deer.  Anyway, that's just what I do, although I am not sure if it's the right thing to do all the time.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
If the deer only saw some movement or a sound but did not smell you,,,chances are good that he will do everything he can to get downwind of you to figure out what it was that he saw or heard.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Here is what I do. If you do not see or hear animals in a prime area you likely have the wind going wrong and they are gone way early. If you hear them but don't see them you need to slow down a lot. If you see them take off then you need to slow down a bit and you might be too noisy; count to 100 before proceeding. If they explode and are outta' there like ass on fire, your pace is OK but you need to use your binocs to separate fur from brush.  Most of the time no matter how slow you are going it is too fast. Those are generalizations, and they work for me.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
It is rare to get a second chance at a particular whitetail. They usually move farther than a person with any stealth can do to get back into a shooting situation. It depends a lot on the terrain and how well you know the deer's patterns.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
I would move about 75-100 yards upwind and find a good spot and stay there for around an hour. If the deer wasn't real spooked he may circle around to get a sniff.
Hap

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
Bjorn is so right.it takes some adjusting from everyday life to SLOW down to get it right.always use every available bit of cover.Use your binos way more and look ahead for just deer parts.Make sure the wind is dead right for you.
Out here in Sask.my best time is when the wind is blowing heavy.,it really helps to cover scent and sound.You gotta fool all 3 senses.
Get your self a copy of G.fred's book Stand and stillhunting,great reading and you'll learn alot.Best of luck.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
You can use a deer call and make a couple of doe calls just to say "here I am and everything is ok."  I've also used a short piece of heavy tree branch to strike the ground like a stamping deer to make them think I'm a deer.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
I had a similar experience last year. All I did was crouch  down and waited. Within 15 min or so they came back to investigate what was going on. Eventually a willow brush is all that separated us and could not get a shot. What an experience to say the least.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Bino's are a still hunters best asset!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
X2, Osage!
Turkey diaphragm call will perhaps buy you some time. Get a good spot and wait. Maybe move DOWNWIND a little, as that is where the curious deer will go. The deer will be on high alert, though.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, that is all great advice. I think I need tospend more time out there to develop the patience necessary to be successful. I'll give this all a shot on monday, which should be my next time out.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
When you're ready to stop, or go, take one more step quietly and look for the ones that were hidden by the trees.  Too many times I looked the area over and went to sit down after not seein' anything. Then when I take that "1 more" step to sit down, there it is.  Hidden by that tree at just the right angle.  Then all I see is why they call it a whitetail.  Doh...

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I'll echo the bleet call on a lanyard around the neck. Small binos, lean when stopped and look. More one step movement and squat alot. The deer outlasted you on hearing/seeing something. You have to outlast the deer.

Never thought of making the stomping sound but if you can do it without being busted it sounds like a good idea.

Stalking in thick areas is tough no matter what you do.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
You have to outlast the deer.

Sometimes that's a tough nut to crack.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Go over this thread.It may give you some ideas.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=108912;p=1

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
IMO the missing link to a productive stillhunter is SQUATTING,SQUATTING,AND MORE SQUATTING.You must remeber that when deer like game take to cover they bed down and that's where their eyelevel is knee height!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©