3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for still hunters  (Read 292 times)

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for still hunters
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Never Never Never still hunt without binoculars ...and use them. Our quarry has better smell, hearing, eyesight (detecting movement) and a lot more patience. If you see them before they take off you can at least remain still until they lose interest. If they haven't detected you then you have half a chance.
Also work the wind if you know where they are.
A bleat call or turkey call is a good idea as well.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
You cant go slow enough when still hunting.

I try to take 3 slow quiet steps and then stop and listen, at the same time i scan every piece of woods I can. I am probably standing still 98% of the time.

I usually will pick up movement first, it's harder if the deer are bedded and not moving.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I have taken about 30 deer still hunting. I went 5 years in a row getting my deer sneaking either out to or in from my tree stand.  I found that on that route I preferred things to be dry and crunchy.  while I know the deer could hear me, at least I could hear them as well. Knowing that something is either out there or coming towards you is an advantage at times.  On a quiet day I stay on the edges of the corn and listen for the deer in the corn. It is often possible if you know where to look what deer is in the corn and get a chance to meet them at the edge of the field. I have taken three deer from my lunch log, I sneak out to the fallen remains of a large maple, make tea and eat my lunch. The odds go up when I am sitting in the right place at the right time.  when still hunting, I find that feeling of the right place and time varies on the situation of the day. I always have at least a butt pad dangling from my belt, it is good for the odds to be able sit comfortably more often. It allows me to have more patience knowing that I can park it anytime I want, without having something to sit on I tend to move too much.

Offline Joe Q.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Like many others said, stay glued to those binos. You wouldn't believe how many tome a blinking eye or an ear or tail twitch has alerted me to several deer that I would have stumbled into otherwise.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Had family commitments today so didn't make it out.  :(  Will put these wise words to work this week after work and will hopefully get lucky. Archery season here allows for a doe or buck so I am hoping to get some meat on the table as we have way mor edoes than bucks and I'm all about QDM.  :)
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
It's, for me, EXTREMELY difficult to still hunt a piece of cover correctly unless you know that your deer is in there.

If I don't know for certain then I move too fast and end up messing it up.  And "too fast" has been pretty darn slow!

Recently I have been carrying leaves in one hand, when I am busted but they don't run off, I drop a few leaves.  Perhaps it wasn't me (my thinking goes) just those 'ol leaves falling to the ground.

I know I get desperate!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
When i chase Red Deer and spook them as long as they  didn't SMELL me and you hear them crashing off i usually run after them for about 40 50 yards as long as terrain allows then stop dead and move aside and wait. they then will do ether 3 things. Keep running  , or circle downwind and catch your sent. Most of the time they are the smart old girls. Then you get the young and dumb ones that want to find out what scared the poo out of them. By running forward and to the side gives you an advantage because the deer will go back to where it was spooked and look for you this means that your deer has walked past you and by being to the side gives you a broad side shot. Doesnt always work but its better than watching them give you the white flag. This is only my opinion and i sure am no expert. hope this helps   :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©